A Hard Choice

r60slash5
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was given a choice today of getting one bottle BTAC for MSRP. Which one should I chose and why?

William Larue Weller

George T. Stagg

Sazerac 18 Yr Rye

Eagle Rare 17 Yr

Thomas T Handy

Ted

Hard to answer and really depends on how much more hunting for BTAC you plan on doing. I typically take the Weller or Saz as my "guaranteed" bottle since I find them to be the hardest to come across. I then look for Stagg, followed by ER17. I can usually find Handy throughout the year so I really only buy it when I'm down to my last quarter bottle. The Saz is pretty much the same year over year (due to tanking) so if you have one it may be worth switching up your buying. If you don't have one, the supply of old rye is rapidly dwindling and once its gone, its gone so it may be worth getting one (assuming you like rye of course).

This year I'm thinking WLW all the way, but the low proof Stagg is really intriguing. I think the Stagg allocation is higher than the WLW so may be more available for day 2 purchases.

First question is, are they all 2013 releases? From there - what do you enjoy drinking? If you like Maker's Mark, OWA, Old Fitz, Larceny - then maybe try Weller. If you like Booker's, KCSB, ECBP maybe try Stagg. If you like ryes, then probably Sazerac. Etc. If you honestly don't know what you like then I'd say either ER17 or Stagg. There's not really a wrong answer, especially for someone just coming to the table. They're all going to be extremely good without having the context from year to year for comparison.

Saz.

Always Saz.

/discussion :)

Points in your favor: Very difficult to find due to low allocation, clear end date for the rapidly diminishing supply, unclear about how the replacement juice will compare. All of these lead me to keep multiple bottles in the closet to remember this awesome rye!

Points against: Other people buying it leaves less for me so I should actively steer them towards the ER17!!

Really better to get what you think you would like most.

In some ways, the BTAC line should have one that you really like and one that you don't really care for.

Only when you are debating on 1st vs 2nd, then maybe see which one is harder to come by.

Only for me, I would likely be WLW first.

First off, forget Handy and ER17. Then you have to ask yourself, Rye, Rye-recipe, or Wheater. Only you can answer that. My answer to that question can change in the course of a day.

WLW or GTS. Can't go wrong either way.

I'll second this. The best wheater or the best ryed recipe? Which will it be? Tick-tock, tick-tock...

Saz 18 - they'll be writing down the road how the new one ain't the old ... see "Pappy 15" ... :grin:

This is a toughy. I can make legitimate cases for picking any of them.

But, I'll go with Stagg as the "must get". For kicks, here's how I would rank them :

1. GTS. The King of all barrel proof whiskies.

2. Saz 18. Once it's gone, it's gooooooone!

3. WLW. I would go with THH here, but since BP wheatears don't grow on trees, I'll go with this.

4. THH. Best BP rye going, and I love the profile. :yum: But, I figure since it hangs around so long, I have a decent chance to continue to pick it up after the RUSH is through. I could easily put this #2...

5. ER 17. It's a shame that this fine whiskey finishes "last". Really, there is no "last" in this group. It has been the most elegant drinking, ultra-aged bourbon on the market for many years.

At the end of the day, if you have a chance to get any of them...Pounce.

STOP!!!!! Screw it!! Switch around #3and #4. THH is #3, WLW is #4...I like THH better than WLW. I'll continue to get my high proof wheater fix from OWA. I just like THH better.

STOP AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! Enough of this hard to find crap, Joey! I really like Handy more than the Saz. THH is #2, and Saz goes to #3!!! WLW, your 4!

But Handy, if you screw up just this much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!!

This is a toughy. I can make legitimate cases for picking any of them.

But, I'll go with Stagg as the "must get". For kicks, here's how I would rank them :

1. GTS. The King of all barrel proof whiskies.

2. Saz 18. Once it's gone, it's gooooooone!

3. WLW. I would go with THH here, but since BP wheatears don't grow on trees, I'll go with this.

4. THH. Best BP rye going, and I love the profile. :yum: But, I figure since it hangs around so long, I have a decent chance to continue to pick it up after the RUSH is through. I could easily put this #2...

5. ER 17. It's a shame that this fine whiskey finishes "last". Really, there is no "last" in this group. It has been the most elegant drinking, ultra-aged bourbon on the market for many years.

At the end of the day, if you have a chance to get any of them...Pounce.

STOP!!!!! Screw it!! Switch around #3and #4. THH is #3, WLW is #4...I like THH better than WLW. I'll continue to get my high proof wheater fix from OWA. I just like THH better.

STOP AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! Enough of this hard to find crap, Joey! I really like Handy more than the Saz. THH is #2, and Saz goes to #3!!! WLW, your 4!

But Handy, if you screw up just this much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!!

Haha, this one had me laughing out loud. As for my choices, Forget them all. Too hard to find and you likely won't get to enjoy another for at least a year. Save your money and go by. FR barrel proof private bottling from someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Not searching out any BTAC this year, but being the Weller whore that I am ....... :rolleyes:

If they were all in front of me and I had my pick, without hesitation it would be the WLW. :cool:

If you like Booker's, KCSB, ECBP maybe try Stagg.

really? I cant help but wonder why you group bookers, kcsb, and ecbp together as being similar. As you know, bookers is my favorite, followed veeeeeeery closely by KCSB, and ECBP i thought was suitable only for reducing flooring urethane. Only in proof would I lump these together.

Tough, I'd have to think long and hard between the Saz 18, Stagg and WLW. I'd be hard pressed to turn down Saz 18 if it was available, but no matter which way you go, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

really? I cant help but wonder why you group bookers, kcsb, and ecbp together as being similar. As you know, bookers is my favorite, followed veeeeeeery closely by KCSB, and ECBP i thought was suitable only for reducing flooring urethane. Only in proof would I lump these together.

Forget the facts. What's your opinion? :laugh:

They're big barrel proof rye recipe bourbons.

Thanks for the input I was going with the WLW, but I got great news today. Only 1 bottle meant only 1 of each. Not a hard choice now! Very Happy about that.

Ted

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.