A Hard Choice

r60slash5
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A boy walks into a Baskin-Robbins and is told, "You can only have one scoop, which flavor would you like?" He answers, "All of 'em, thank you!"

Thanks for the input I was going with the WLW, but I got great news today. Only 1 bottle meant only 1 of each. Not a hard choice now! Very Happy about that.

Ted

Ted that's Excellent!!! Except for that minor ding to your wallet. :bigeyes:Now you can try them all and make you're own call.

For me, WLW, then GTS, but only cause I have several bottles of Saz 18 bunkered.

Saz 18 - they'll be writing down the road how the new one ain't the old ... see "Pappy 15" ... :grin:

I've got to join in the Saz 18 crowd here. I like Stagg and WLW but they're not an entirely different product from the other things that are available. I don't know where to go to even come close to a proxy for Saz 18. For any number of reasons, get the Saz.

Thanks for the input I was going with the WLW, but I got great news today. Only 1 bottle meant only 1 of each. Not a hard choice now! Very Happy about that.

Ted

That's the best!

Throw us a picture of the line up and when you open one, let's us know which one and how you like it.

So is the choice now which to leave behind? I would just take the whole line. If I leave something behind, it's probably the THH.

Cheers, for you lucky few.

Ok which one of you from South Carolina sent their sister in to try any get BTAC today?! She went late, and to the wrong store. How do I know I called to check on mine being secure and The clerk asked me if I had a bother in South Carolina too. Weasel! Well I don't really blame you :), but BTAC has come and gone 20 bottles in 4 stores. I tried gain a little extra myself, but it was long gone by 4pm when I get out to hunt.

I see good web content, makes for poor whiskey hunting lesson learned.

Ted

Edited by r60slash5

The "hatred" for THH is something I've yet to understand. It's not as scarce as the others, but certainly a worthy addition to any collection. That said, I'd take Weller then Stagg. Curious to try the Eagle Rare 17 (well, 19, really) this year.

The "hatred" for THH is something I've yet to understand. It's not as scarce as the others, but certainly a worthy addition to any collection. That said, I'd take Weller then Stagg. Curious to try the Eagle Rare 17 (well, 19, really) this year.

I don't hate it, I just don't think it's a good value. It's Saz Jr. at barrel strength at a much higher price even accounting for proof. On the other hand baby Saz is just about as hard to find as THH these days, so maybe I'll buy a bottle next time I see one.

I don't hate it, I just don't think it's a good value. It's Saz Jr. at barrel strength at a much higher price even accounting for proof. On the other hand baby Saz is just about as hard to find as THH these days, so maybe I'll buy a bottle next time I see one.

Love me some WLW. It's honey barrel then barrel proof weller 12-15. It's my first choice. Barrel proof wheaters are impossible to find elsewhere.

Ok which one of you from South Carolina sent their sister in to try any get BTAC today?! She went late, and to the wrong store. How do I know I called to check on mine being secure and The clerk asked me if I had a bother in South Carolina too. Weasel! Well I don't really blame you :), but BTAC has come and gone 20 bottles in 4 stores. I tried gain a little extra myself, but it was long gone by 4pm when I get out to hunt.

I see good web content, makes for poor whiskey hunting lesson learned.

Ted

Glad you made out ok (or at least I assume you still got what you expected). Keep in mind, far more people read these posts than actively engage. Even the members only sections mean thousands of folks have access.
Edited by smknjoe

Yep. That's why I hardly post any new release finds anymore, but I make sure to PM the local guys (or at least I try to.)

I'd rather see fellow SB'ers post long after they've secured. Save the "allocation is in" wild goose chases and car shots for other sites.

2006 was the last time WLW was over 12 years. Whiskey nerd: ENGAGE!

2005: 12 y 2 m

2006: 15 y 3 m

2007: 10 y 3 m

2008: 11 y 2 m

2009: 11 y

2010: 12 y 3m

2011: 12 y 11m

2012: 12 y 4 m

2013: 12 y 1 m

If you are only adjusting for proof, then a savvy consumer would have to agree that the $20 - 25 Weller 12 and Sazerac rye are the better deal. But you can't "proof up" those whiskies like you can "proof down" WLW and THH...but why would you? They are amazing at barrel strength, and are a hand-picked lot of 20 to 50 barrels. Plus they only come out once a year. So, I am always willing to pay that premium when I get the chance.

To me Weller 12 and WLW are worlds apart with WLW being far superior. Others have stated before that barrel selection can play a big role in flavor variation. I'll have to proof down some WLW and see if I get W12.

Edited by smknjoe

To me Weller 12 and WLW are worlds apart with WLW being far superior. Others have stated before that barrel selection can play a big role in flavor variation. I'll have to proof down some WLW and see if I get W12.

I enjoy mingling WLW and Weller 12, sometimes just a dollop of WLW in the Weller 12 to richen it, and sometimes just a dollop of Weller 12 in the WLW to bring down the proof.

2006 was the last time WLW was over 12 years. Whiskey nerd: ENGAGE!

2005: 12 y 2 m

2006: 15 y 3 m

2007: 10 y 3 m

2008: 11 y 2 m

2009: 11 y

2010: 12 y 3m

2011: 12 y 11m

2012: 12 y 4 m

2013: 12 y 1 m

If you are only adjusting for proof, then a savvy consumer would have to agree that the $20 - 25 Weller 12 and Sazerac rye are the better deal. But you can't "proof up" those whiskies like you can "proof down" WLW and THH...but why would you? They are amazing at barrel strength, and are a hand-picked lot of 20 to 50 barrels. Plus they only come out once a year. So, I am always willing to pay that premium when I get the chance.

Why would I not drink them at barrel strength? Because I can't taste anything at barrel strength and because it is painful for me to drink something with that high of a proof at barrel strength. I did a taste test years ago of Sazerac vs. Handy with handy taken down to 90 proof. I couldn't tell the difference. That was the last bottle I bought. The last bottle of WLW I bought was a 2007 and I thought it was great. I tasted a 2010 shortly after it came out and I was unimpressed. I haven't bought once since around that time.

I have never had a Stagg that I didn't love.

It's been a pretty good day today. Picked up my BTAC collection. Got the mail when I got home The Bourbon Country Reader and no bills.:grin:

IMG_1843_zps2d1f6ca0.jpg

The last bottle of WLW I bought was a 2007 and I thought it was great.

Glad you made out ok (or at least I assume you still got what you expected). Keep in mind, far more people read these posts than actively engage. Even the members only sections mean thousands of folks have access.

I did get it today, but like I said lesson learned.

Ted

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.