Redbreast 21?

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

With the 15 at $70-75, I'm not sure that I want to know what it will cost, but I would sure like to taste it.

With the 15 at $70-75, I'm not sure that I want to know what it will cost, but I would sure like to taste it.

Estimates I have seen are in the $180-200 range which is what Whisky Advocate notes in their blog. Painful but I will probably get one to try if I can find it.

Same with Red Spot if I can find it. Of course neither of the other Spots has made it here yet so I won't be holding my breathe for a quick release of the Red Spot in the US.

I enjoy the 12 and the 12 Cask Strength, but the 15 while good wasn't in my opinion as favorable to me as the 12 yr offerings. I'd have a hard time swallowing a buck eighty on the 21 year. That being said, I'll keep an eye out for you and let you know if I see one.

I enjoy the 12 and the 12 Cask Strength, but the 15 while good wasn't in my opinion as favorable to me as the 12 yr offerings. I'd have a hard time swallowing a buck eighty on the 21 year. That being said, I'll keep an eye out for you and let you know if I see one.

+1 - the 12 CS is tremendous - I've only had one pour of the 15 and I liked it, but remember thinking it lost something to the 12. But it was splitting hairs - the 12 is just fabulous, so I guess the 15 is just excellent!

+1 - the 12 CS is tremendous - I've only had one pour of the 15 and I liked it, but remember thinking it lost something to the 12. But it was splitting hairs - the 12 is just fabulous, so I guess the 15 is just excellent!

Agreed, I actually had to reread what I wrote 3 times to make sure it didn't sound like I was denigrating the 15 year. It's really good, I just really really think both the 12 year offerings are amazing and really enjoy them.

I haven't tasted it, but I love the Redbreast 15. Not the most flavorful whiskey in my opinion, but probably the creamiest whiskey I've ever had. I love it!

I bought it recently, the 21, that is. To be honest, it's probably one of the best value Redbreasts in Ireland. Not that this means it's great value, but the Green Spot and Redbreast 12 are now around 50 euro. The 21 is far superior to, say, the Midleton Very Rare and the Jameson 18 (two whiskeys that I very much enjoy, though). To my palate, it's just a superb whiskey... assuming you like this style. It has some much older whiskey in it too - some of the stuff they released as a 15 year old Jameson pps at the millennium. It's 27-year-old heavier pot still whiskey.

But they need to reduce the price of their entire premium range, in my opinion.

Pulling from the FR thread:

Has anybody seen the Redbreast 21 for sale in the US yet? I have seen reports that it will be crossing the pond soon if it hasn't already but I haven't seen any sign of it yet.

I went looking for this yesterday throughout Louisville with no success. Will definitely buy when found unless the price is just totally outrageous.

I bought it recently, the 21, that is. To be honest, it's probably one of the best value Redbreasts in Ireland. Not that this means it's great value, but the Green Spot and Redbreast 12 are now around 50 euro. The 21 is far superior to, say, the Midleton Very Rare and the Jameson 18 (two whiskeys that I very much enjoy, though). To my palate, it's just a superb whiskey... assuming you like this style. It has some much older whiskey in it too - some of the stuff they released as a 15 year old Jameson pps at the millennium. It's 27-year-old heavier pot still whiskey.

But they need to reduce the price of their entire premium range, in my opinion.

Since reading this thread last week, I've made it a point to ask about the 21. Nobody seems to know when it may be available in these parts. Looking on the bright side, one less to take away present dollars....for now. :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

I had a couple pours of the 21 last night. It is a very easy drinker. It had no discernible hotness and it was very light and fruity like some of the single pot still Irish can be. I got a lot of melon on the palate, it tasted like someone distilled a cantaloupe. A very nice dram.

I had a couple pours of the 21 last night. It is a very easy drinker. It had no discernible hotness and it was very light and fruity like some of the single pot still Irish can be. I got a lot of melon on the palate, it tasted like someone distilled a cantaloupe. A very nice dram.

But worth the asking price in your opinion?

But worth the asking price in your opinion?

I do not know what the asking price will be in the US. This was a European bottling that clocked in around the $200 mark, and those always tend to be a bit higher. I would still buy one at that price though. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, some of my Scotch purchases have warped my perception of value.

post-8000-14489820005495_thumb.jpg

Edited by LostBottle

Ha, well, I'm in the same boat but not as far gone. I used to balk at spending more than $40 on a bottle of anything, now $100+ for something decent and I hardly bat an eye. I'm afraid that will only get worse with time...

I do not know what the asking price will be in the US. This was a European bottling that clocked in around the $200 mark, and those always tend to be a bit higher. I would still buy one at that price though. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, some of my Scotch purchases have warped my perception of value.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16964[/ATTACH]

Ha, well, I'm in the same boat but not as far gone. I used to balk at spending more than $40 on a bottle of anything, now $100+ for something decent and I hardly bat an eye. I'm afraid that will only get worse with time...

I am afraid you are right. :frown:

Good to hear it seems to be living up to expectation. No luck getting it from across the pond so far. Still hopeful it makes it to this side soon.

• 1 month later...

I see Redbreast 21 is now on the Hi-Time Wines website for a fairly painful $240. Not that it does me much good there even if I were willing to pay that since they won't ship to me.

Going to have to hope it will be elsewhere soon and not so spendy. Was hoping for under $200.

Might be hoping in vain.

Here's what you gotta do. Buy a couple bottles of the 12 year and consume tenaciously until the 12 looks like a 21.

Then when you wake up, you can take comfort in the fact that you saved $150 or so.

Here's what you gotta do. Buy a couple bottles of the 12 year and consume tenaciously until the 12 looks like a 21.

Then when you wake up, you can take comfort in the fact that you saved $150 or so.

Probably wouldn't take two bottles to make the 12 look like a 21!

$240... ouch, I can get a lot of very tasty scotch for that price. And with my current bottle of Redbreast 12 year CS I'm somewhat turned off on the brand. Guess I still with the normal 12...

Yeah think ill be skipping at that price, tasty as it sounds. Ill just stock up on Powers instead.

Yeah, years ago I settled on Powers and don't find myself tempted to change at this time.
How do you feel about Powers 12 or Signature vs. Redbreast 12 (non-CS)? I really enjoy Redbreast 12, but it is almost $70 a bottle where I live. I'm not all that in love with Irish whiskey in general, but I try to keep a bottle or two on hand for guests. All the better if I enjoy it (Redbreast 12).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.