Redbreast 21?

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I prefer the Redbreast CS over either of those, but if you have access to Powers Johns Lane...game over.

I prefer the Redbreast CS over either of those, but if you have access to Powers Johns Lane...game over.
I prefer cask strength anything, but unfortunately I have never seen it in my area. Will keep an eye out for Powers Johns Lane then. Thanks.

gb I don't find the Powers 12 (or the Jamison 12, 1780, etc.) to be a step up enough over the regular lines to be worth the premium price. I've never understood the attraction of Redbreast either except perhaps it was hard to get and that may have made it more desirable to some customers. I can't count the number of Irish expressions I've tasted or served in blind tastings but Powers emerged as the house favorite.

I will admit to one other favorite though, Black Bush, which I suspect I admire for it's balance and complexity rather than sherry casks or any specific note in it's aroma or flavor.

gb I don't find the Powers 12 (or the Jamison 12, 1780, etc.) to be a step up enough over the regular lines to be worth the premium price. I've never understood the attraction of Redbreast either except perhaps it was hard to get and that may have made it more desirable to some customers. I can't count the number of Irish expressions I've tasted or served in blind tastings but Powers emerged as the house favorite.

I will admit to one other favorite though, Black Bush, which I suspect I admire for it's balance and complexity rather than sherry casks or any specific note in it's aroma or flavor.

Ive never had the standard offering of Powers, but I love the 12. I need to revist it the Black Bush (don't tell my wife). The extra barreling might be very tasty for a cheaper pour. I'll always love RB12.

I find the Powers Signature Release to be a nice compromise of price and quality. Not quite Johns Lane but it is clearly related!

I find the Powers Signature Release to be a nice compromise of price and quality. Not quite Johns Lane but it is clearly related!

Mine is still sealed. I imagine that it will find its way open soon enough. As for the RB21, it would have to be about $100 cheaper for me to buy it. I really like Redbreast, but $240 is just too much for me.

Here are my thoughts for anyone that might be interested.

Color: Light yellow with a slight reddish hue.

Nose: Vanilla wafers and white icing. Very light and sweet. Pound cake notes lift from the glass combined with powdered donuts to create an elegant aroma. The ethanol is barely discernible on the nose. Lovely!

Palate: A sweet, soft, and creamy entry. Loads of sweet, candy, and dessert notes. Necco wafers, cotton candy, and I swear to God candy cigarettes! It's all front palate, white sugar. Mid-palate introduces candy hearts and smarties. This drinks like a damn candy store in a glass! Just incredible. There's even a black licorice note that creeps in which, while I don't particularly care for it, adds an additional layer to the dram.

Finish: Long and lasting sweetness. The finish lingers for quite some time. While the sweet notes dominate, a surprisingly dry note has made a presence, which is a bit disappointing.

Rating: What a delightful, tasty, sweet dram. This one has after dinner dessert written all over it. I'm not sure I've ever tasted a whiskey that resembled an assortment of different candies more than this one. I'm not crazy about the black licorice and the dry note on the finish was unfortunate but overall this is a splendid pour that would make a great end to a nice meal.

I'm scoring the Redbreast 21yr a 92.

A special thanks to John B. for sending a sample my way. While I really like this one, I'd take JPL over it in a heartbeat. I really dig that one.

I love the RB line,have tried all 3 -12,12CS,and the 15, I agree that the 15 although tasty,just didn't do me as the 12 & 12cs, I was out at the tbb cola site and came across that label last week,and then to my surprise I see this thread,I'm sure it will be quite costly,will I buy it? HMMM, not quite sure,but would love to taste it. Here's a thought that just occured to me right now, vat the 15 & the 12? oooh that could be something nice! But alas I am out of the 15.. damn.

I love the RB line,have tried all 3 -12,12CS,and the 15, I agree that the 15 although tasty,just didn't do me as the 12 & 12cs, I was out at the tbb cola site and came across that label last week,and then to my surprise I see this thread,I'm sure it will be quite costly,will I buy it? HMMM, not quite sure,but would love to taste it. Here's a thought that just occured to me right now, vat the 15 & the 12? oooh that could be something nice! But alas I am out of the 15.. damn.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.