Pappy in PA

burghguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, Pappy in various flavors was available on the PA website for all of 5 minutes today. I was not among the fortunate. I am through chasing it. Plenty of good bourbons out there that you can just walk into a store and purchase. Imagine that for a novel concept.

While I am not making the following comment to brag ... PA is the easiest place for me to find BTAC and pappy bourbons due to their method of distribution and general transparency.

While I am not making the following comment to brag ... PA is the easiest place for me to find BTAC and pappy bourbons due to their method of distribution and general transparency.

Agreed,if you learn the tricks and quirks of the website and just generally be vigilant around releases you can pretty much get what you want.. The rye is a tough get but you generally have 15-30 minutes to snag the 20s and 23s once the products hit the site..

It was intense waiting for the website to load this morning as it was bogged down with traffic. I was lucky to get what I got, but I wish PA would get some PVW 15. That one has been a unicorn for me...

PA used to be a happy hunting ground for both Pappy and BTAC. Now that it is on the web, the average guy doesn't have a chance unless he has an inside informant who gives him a heads up in advance of the moment when the product will be in stock. I believe the employees buy it all before the general public has a chance. Today I received an email at 10:16 saying Pappy was available and a 10:20 email telling me it was all gone. I can surf the PA websites about as well as the next guy, but if you don't know in advance when the product will be available, or if you simply get up from your computer for a cup of coffee, you are SOL. That's ok, I got more than my share of Pappy and BTAC long before it was popular and when you could simply walk into the store and take it off the shelf. Those days are over, but the PA website is a disaster unless you know someone on the inside (and I don't).

PA used to be a happy hunting ground for both Pappy and BTAC. Now that it is on the web, the average guy doesn't have a chance unless he has an inside informant who gives him a heads up in advance of the moment when the product will be in stock. I believe the employees buy it all before the general public has a chance. Today I received an email at 10:16 saying Pappy was available and a 10:20 email telling me it was all gone. I can surf the PA websites about as well as the next guy, but if you don't know in advance when the product will be available, or if you simply get up from your computer for a cup of coffee, you are SOL. That's ok, I got more than my share of Pappy and BTAC long before it was popular and when you could simply walk into the store and take it off the shelf. Those days are over, but the PA website is a disaster unless you know someone on the inside (and I don't).

It was intense waiting for the website to load this morning as it was bogged down with traffic. I was lucky to get what I got, but I wish PA would get some PVW 15. That one has been a unicorn for me...

Yeah that was odd, why no 15? Not like Bourdain stole all of it....

Yeah that was odd, why no 15? Not like Bourdain stole all of it....

PA has not sold the 15 in the 3 yrs I have bought Pappy from them...

I agree. I have been able to get both the Pappy and the BTAC that I have wanted and I certainly don't know anyone there.

PA has not sold the 15 in the 3 yrs I have bought Pappy from them...

:lol: Nice! :lol:

I agree. I have been able to get both the Pappy and the BTAC that I have wanted and I certainly don't know anyone there.

While it's fun that we can hop on the internets at the right time and get a bottle, I think it's stuff like this that allows the secondary market to continue to flourish. I wish PA would better keep their distribution in the state.

While it's fun that we can hop on the internets at the right time and get a bottle, I think it's stuff like this that allows the secondary market to continue to flourish. I wish PA would better keep their distribution in the state.

So happy for you Michaelturtle, and I don't believe a word you wrote. All of my friends either know people or regularly surf the site and they got shut out as they have every year for every premium product. There is nothing fair about the PA website. If you actually got some Pappy in the random way you suggest, I recommend you rush out and buy some lottery tickets as you are a very, very lucky man.

So happy for you Michaelturtle, and I don't believe a word you wrote. All of my friends either know people or regularly surf the site and they got shut out as they have every year for every premium product. There is nothing fair about the PA website. If you actually got some Pappy in the random way you suggest, I recommend you rush out and buy some lottery tickets as you are a very, very lucky man.

On the contrary, it has nothing to do with luck, I have checked the website every day for 2 weeks while I drink my coffee in the morning.. It only takes the smallest amount of diligence in checking the site once release season hits. People were also getting bottles up until the close of business yesterday as they were cancelling duplicate orders..

On the contrary, it has nothing to do with luck..

This is also my experience. I got an email that BTAC and Pappy was available. Both times, I'm sitting it a meeting and no where near my PC. I launched the iPhone app, ordered what I wanted (1 bottle of each) and it was at the shipping location in 2 days.

On the contrary, it has nothing to do with luck, I have checked the website every day for 2 weeks while I drink my coffee in the morning.. It only takes the smallest amount of diligence in checking the site once release season hits. People were also getting bottles up until the close of business yesterday as they were cancelling duplicate orders..

Have to agree with michaelturtle. As much as I have been jealous of his out-hunting me in the area, I got my email, ordered a 20, 12 and 10 at list price and went about my day. The only secret was politely asking the plcb rep to email me when the stuff was available.

Granted, the site sold out in 14 minutes, but it happened on the exact same day as last year; it wasn't that hard to be vigilant. Beats paying huge markups or camping out,

I love shopping for Pappy from my office chair, though it was fun to hit the Maryland release just right to see it on the shelf

I love shopping for Pappy from my office chair, though it was fun to hit the Maryland release just right to see it on the shelf

I checked at that store down in DE where I was staying but as of Thursday they did not have Pappy yet. I bet they got it the day I flew out...

I checked at that store down in DE where I was staying but as of Thursday they did not have Pappy yet. I bet they got it the day I flew out...

Has not made it there yet, every week I keep hearing it is expected and then it does not show up..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.