Achieving Bourbon Zen - A Mini Manifesto

humchan2k
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I started writing a post about bourbon zen.

Then I deleted it - because when I looked back at the probable numbers from last year, I may be closer to bourbon zen, but I was an absolute berserker in the world of rum.

So I guess I still have issues. But it was a great year for the bunker and I wouldn't change a thing.

On 1/1/2020 at 12:21 AM, The Black Tot said:

I started writing a post about bourbon zen.

Then I deleted it - because when I looked back at the probable numbers from last year, I may be closer to bourbon zen, but I was an absolute berserker in the world of rum.

So I guess I still have issues. But it was a great year for the bunker and I wouldn't change a thing.

So what rums are you buying?

2 minutes ago, Kyjd75 said:

So what rums are you buying?

Aladdin's cave opened up in Germany last year and I put away about 138 bottles of Lemon Hart Demerara from the 90s. This is from back in the days before they had their giant industrial column still that thrashes distillate to vodka levels, and it was also when their pot still products were still made from fermentations of plantation terroir sugar cane and unique fermentation vats that were also plantation specific.

Add to that 13 bottles of old Pusser's Overproof (German market only), 40 bottles of overproof Lemon Hart Golden Jamaica (delicious, and also old-world production methods), and some elite Demerara bombs from Scottish warehouses. 

European auctions also yielded probably 50 bottles of various extinct treasures.

An expensive year, but I'm set for life.

Which doesn't mean I stop.... but I don't think I'll have another year quite like 2019 ever again.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

...An expensive year, but I'm set for life....Which doesn't mean I stop....

I thought I had two lifetimes packed in boxes.  Bored with current selections, I'm hitting the larder.  Now think maybe I can knock it out in ten years.  So yea, like you say, no need to stop buying.

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

I thought I had two lifetimes packed in boxes.  Bored with current selections, I'm hitting the larder.  Now think maybe I can knock it out in ten years.  So yea, like you say, no need to stop buying.

Roger that. 

Lesson internalized: Don't stop until three lifetimes.

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Aladdin's cave opened up in Germany last year and I put away about 138 bottles of Lemon Hart Demerara from the 90s. This is from back in the days before they had their giant industrial column still that thrashes distillate to vodka levels, and it was also when their pot still products were still made from fermentations of plantation terroir sugar cane and unique fermentation vats that were also plantation specific.

Add to that 13 bottles of old Pusser's Overproof (German market only), 40 bottles of overproof Lemon Hart Golden Jamaica (delicious, and also old-world production methods), and some elite Demerara bombs from Scottish warehouses. 

European auctions also yielded probably 50 bottles of various extinct treasures.

An expensive year, but I'm set for life.

Which doesn't mean I stop.... but I don't think I'll have another year quite like 2019 ever again.

What do the lemon Hart bottles look like? I have some older bottles that hopefully were before the still change you mention. I've been so focused on Bourbon the last 15 years I forgot about the rum I have left. On that note, I revisited a bottle of Guatemalan Zaya. It was what got me into rum. Now I could barely stand the sweetness. How times have changed.

5 hours ago, Bbstout said:

I revisited a bottle of Guatemalan Zaya. It was what got me into rum. Now I could barely stand the sweetness. How times have changed.

I got into it via Zacapa 23 "year". Now the stuff is vile. It's definitely how the journey goes.

Edited by The Black Tot

5 hours ago, Bbstout said:

What do the lemon Hart bottles look like? I have some older bottles that hopefully were before the still change you mention. I've been so focused on Bourbon the last 15 years I forgot about the rum I have left. On that note, I revisited a bottle of Guatemalan Zaya. It was what got me into rum. Now I could barely stand the sweetness. How times have changed.

I got some of both, but mostly the one on the right.

Lemon Harts.jpg

• I like it 2

I had a nice zen moment I wanted to share.  As I indicated in my post in this thread from a couple years ago, my purchases come primarily from one store.  This store does a god job of tracking customer frequency and gross amount of purchases, and has been fair and reasonable in not only pricing but also making LEs available to their top customers and bourbon fans in particular.  I've landed at least one bottle per year from the BTAC or PVW lines dating back to 2014 from this store, and this year I was in there at least a few times per month buying either whiskey or wine.  However, the owner implemented a new system for LE products this year (would take a long time to explain, and is not exactly germane to the post), which resulted in a lot of folks spending a whole lot more money in the store .  Nevertheless, I know I was in the top 20% of customers (reported to be a list of ~75 people -- and I think I was probably closer to the top 10% at that time) at least as late as October and I actually increased my purchase frequency in the weeks that followed the email notifying me of that position.  So, I figured I was a shoe-in again this year for SOMETHING limited.  Thus, when I'd heard he got quite a few PVW15s I was really hopeful to land one of those, but was also anticipating some GTS, WLW, or EC18 at least.  Alas, the call never came, and I closed the year out empty-handed for the first time in 5 years. 

What was most surprising, though, is that I'm not disappointed, frustrated, or disgruntled about it at all.  In fact, I don't really feel any way about it.  Missing out this year is not going to cause me to spend more next year to try and get back in the "winners circle", nor do I hold a grudge against the store for allocating in the way they saw fit.  On the contrary, the money I stocked away to fund LE purchases this year can now be spent on the many other quality bourbons available, or go to feed my growing taste for quality pinot noir.  End result: I will now acquire more bourbon than I otherwise would have, and will actually open and enjoy it without worry of draining a unicorn I'll never get my hands on again!  

• I like it 9

24 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I had a nice zen moment I wanted to share.  As I indicated in my post in this thread from a couple years ago, my purchases come primarily from one store.  This store does a god job of tracking customer frequency and gross amount of purchases, and has been fair and reasonable in not only pricing but also making LEs available to their top customers and bourbon fans in particular.  I've landed at least one bottle per year from the BTAC or PVW lines dating back to 2014 from this store, and this year I was in there at least a few times per month buying either whiskey or wine.  However, the owner implemented a new system for LE products this year (would take a long time to explain, and is not exactly germane to the post), which resulted in a lot of folks spending a whole lot more money in the store .  Nevertheless, I know I was in the top 20% of customers (reported to be a list of ~75 people -- and I think I was probably closer to the top 10% at that time) at least as late as October and I actually increased my purchase frequency in the weeks that followed the email notifying me of that position.  So, I figured I was a shoe-in again this year for SOMETHING limited.  Thus, when I'd heard he got quite a few PVW15s I was really hopeful to land one of those, but was also anticipating some GTS, WLW, or EC18 at least.  Alas, the call never came, and I closed the year out empty-handed for the first time in 5 years. 

What was most surprising, though, is that I'm not disappointed, frustrated, or disgruntled about it at all.  In fact, I don't really feel any way about it.  Missing out this year is not going to cause me to spend more next year to try and get back in the "winners circle", nor do I hold a grudge against the store for allocating in the way they saw fit.  On the contrary, the money I stocked away to fund LE purchases this year can now be spent on the many other quality bourbons available, or go to feed my growing taste for quality pinot noir.  End result: I will now acquire more bourbon than I otherwise would have, and will actually open and enjoy it without worry of draining a unicorn I'll never get my hands on again!  

Sounds very much like Bourbon Zen to me, BSD!   Good for you!    ?

Always better to enjoy the life you're living, than to bitch endlessly about the one you aren't, right?  ?

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I agree with Rich, Sounds like a whole lot of ZEN. I believe even the good retail stores out there are looking to "secondary" a few more of those unicorn bottles each year. Spread the love to their top tier steadys only, then pop a few bottles for triple of what the lucky get to buy at double retail and more. Lets see...I'll mark this WLW at $200 to my best folks and sell a few more than I did last year at $600. Why wouldn't they? And they can legally sell stock at secondary prices by advertising online but do pickups at the store only. JMO

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, FacePlant said:

I agree with Rich, Sounds like a whole lot of ZEN. I believe even the good retail stores out there are looking to "secondary" a few more of those unicorn bottles each year. Spread the love to their top tier steadys only, then pop a few bottles for triple of what the lucky get to buy at double retail and more. Lets see...I'll mark this WLW at $200 to my best folks and sell a few more than I did last year at $600. Why wouldn't they? And they can legally sell stock at secondary prices by advertising online but do pickups at the store only. JMO

I bet more than a few bottles are sold to "themselves" (or proxies) at retail, then either kept as investments, or turned around on the black market.   And, I wouldn't doubt the middle tier (distributors) of the triad are doing the same thing . . . under the table of course.   All this is a bit irritating; but, there's nothing any of us peons can do about it; so why worry, or bitch about it either.   I'm happy enough with the bottles I have; and among 'em are some fine pours...likely enough to last me and my friends a good long time, I think.

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I bet more than a few bottles are sold to "themselves" (or proxies) at retail, then either kept as investments, or turned around on the black market.   And, I wouldn't doubt the middle tier (distributors) of the triad are doing the same thing . . . under the table of course.   All this is a bit irritating; but, there's nothing any of us peons can do about it; so why worry, or bitch about it either.   I'm happy enough with the bottles I have; and among 'em are some fine pours...likely enough to last me and my friends a good long time, I think.

Funny you should mention this.  In some idle moments, I've wondered about seeking out employment at a WashDC liquor store if only to: (1) learn how "the business" REALLY works: and (2) purchase at MSRP (OF COURSE!!) or at least at the market price things I like before they disappear.  But then,  I am pretty content with what I am able to afford AND what I stumble upon and figure that it's not worth my time and effort - at least to me.

BUT, if I were 20 years younger . . .

Store owners certainly may buy some bottles for themselves at retail or discounted prices, but they don’t make any money when they do that, and there isn’t any reason to sell on the secondary/black market when the store can charge whatever price they want to a willing buyer in the store. In some control states there might be some shenanigans going on, but there’s no reason for it in most states.

FacePlant’s comments reflect that most stores are going to try and take care of their good customers the best that they can, but they may also put a few bottles on the shelf or advertise on the internet to make some extra profit off some of the bourbon hunters out there that are willing to pay whatever the market will bear. It is amazing the number of shoppers that visit liquor stores in the fall and winter looking only for allocated items without any interest in anything else in the store. Why should a store owner ever sell a highly prized and hard to get bottle at retail or a slight premium to someone that never buys anything else from the store?

I don’t think there’s anything like what you suggest going on at the mid tier level either since they can only legally sell to licensed retailers...but there is certainly a lot of other BS that goes on at the mid tier level with regard to what stores get and how much they get!
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Store owners certainly may buy some bottles for themselves at retail or discounted prices, but they don’t make any money when they do that, and there isn’t any reason to sell on the secondary/black market when the store can charge whatever price they want to a willing buyer in the store. In some control states there might be some shenanigans going on, but there’s no reason for it in most states.

FacePlant’s comments reflect that most stores are going to try and take care of their good customers the best that they can, but they may also put a few bottles on the shelf or advertise on the internet to make some extra profit off some of the bourbon hunters out there that are willing to pay whatever the market will bear. It is amazing the number of shoppers that visit liquor stores in the fall and winter looking only for allocated items without any interest in anything else in the store. Why should a store owner ever sell a highly prized and hard to get bottle at retail or a slight premium to someone that never buys anything else from the store?

I don’t think there’s anything like what you suggest going on at the mid tier level either since they can only legally sell to licensed retailers...but there is certainly a lot of other BS that goes on at the mid tier level with regard to what stores get and how much they get!

A few points, lcpfratn...

'they don't make any money'?    Well, on each bottle they 'sell' to themselves they don't make "taxable" money, I grant.   But, under the table when each bottle is sold to a tater on the black market they make a bundle per bottle . . . and pay NO TAX!

'isn't any reason to sell on the black market'?    See point my immediately above.

'no reason for it in most states'?    See my first point.

'I don't think there's anything like what you suggest going on at the mid tier level'?    Imagine this scenario... "Legally" they sell 3-cases of a LE to a retailer, who must then cooperate with a kickback scheme, if he ever wants to see any more LE's, to sell back one case (or more) at retail MSRP to a proxy (or 'cut-out' using the distributor's own $$) designated by said distributor (who may or may not be paid for such service), who then conveys the bottles back to the distributor, who is then able to sell these bottles on the black market at tater mark-ups.   If you believe people are all totally honest and adhere to all the rules in the face of such easy money, my hat is off to your faith in humanity.

I don't say this happens in all areas, nor in a majority of distributors/retailers in any given market.   

But I would be amazed beyond credulity if something like this doesn't happen more than a little bit.   Too damned much MONEY to be made to believe it never happens!

A few points, lcpfratn...

'they don't make any money'?    Well, on each bottle they 'sell' to themselves they don't make "taxable" money, I grant.   But, under the table when each bottle is sold to a tater on the black market they make a bundle per bottle . . . and pay NO TAX!

'isn't any reason to sell on the black market'?    See point my immediately above.

'no reason for it in most states'?    See my first point.

'I don't think there's anything like what you suggest going on at the mid tier level'?    Imagine this scenario... "Legally" they sell 3-cases of a LE to a retailer, who must then cooperate with a kickback scheme, if he ever wants to see any more LE's, to sell back one case (or more) at retail MSRP to a proxy (or 'cut-out' using the distributor's own $$) designated by said distributor (who may or may not be paid for such service), who then conveys the bottles back to the distributor, who is then able to sell these bottles on the black market at tater mark-ups.   If you believe people are all totally honest and adhere to all the rules in the face of such easy money, my hat is off to your faith in humanity.

I don't say this happens in all areas, nor in a majority of distributors/retailers in any given market.   

But I would be amazed beyond credulity if something like this doesn't happen more than a little bit.   Too damned much MONEY to be made to believe it never happens!

Rich, I think you need to take off that tin foil hat my friend. I don’t think there is near as much of what you think may be happening actually happening. Maybe I’m just being too naive, but I’m pretty knowledgeable about how the market and stores in my area operate. Maybe all the shysters just live in Michigan, so I haven’t been exposed to such shenanigans. [emoji6]

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

Rich, I think you need to take off that tin foil hat my friend. I don’t think there is near as much of what you think may be happening actually happening. Maybe I’m just being too naive, but I’m pretty knowledgeable about how the market and stores in my area operate. Maybe all the shysters just live in Michigan, so I haven’t been exposed to such shenanigans. emoji6.png

I hope I'm wrong; but I doubt it.   And, I hope you're right about your locals.

I'm glad you have confidence in the retailers and distributors in your area, my friend.   In fact I wish I had as much in the ones in my area.   The retailer I pretty much exclusively buy from has my trust.    Others in my area?  Not so much, though I have no direct knowledge of any shady dealings.   I rely mainly upon my experience with folx who stand to make a good deal of "extra" under-the-table cash if nobody is looking.  In my area, nobody is looking AFAIK.

And, one more comment... I didn't say I believed a great deal of this goes on.   I said; 'I'd be amazed... if this doesn't happen more than a little bit'.   That statement allows for quite a bit of space between here and the 'tin foil hat' realm, I think.  (Also, I think it's just become too difficult to find actual tin foil any more.  When I require a hat in a hurry, I opt for aluminum foil to get by.  It works OK.)

• I like it 2

The three tier system:

Tier #1-Stores that sell items at, or just slightly above suggested retail. Around here, I believe some stores charge a couple of bucks more so they can make up for our new “sin” tax. 
Tier #2-Stores that mark things up 20 %-50%, maybe a little more. They want to make more on their sales, but don’t want to piss their customers off too much. 

Tier #3-Stores that just plain gouge and charge outrageous prices. One place around here charges $89.99 for Weller Sr.

Just my two cents.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The three tier system:

Tier #1-Stores that sell items at, or just slightly above suggested retail. Around here, I believe some stores charge a couple of bucks more so they can make up for our new “sin” tax
Tier #2-Stores that mark things up 20 %-50%, maybe a little more. They want to make more on their sales, but don’t want to piss their customers off too much. 

Tier #3-Stores that just plain gouge and charge outrageous prices. One place around here charges $89.99 for Weller Sr.

Just my two cents.

Biba! Joe

More taxes on hooch?  Shame (ding, ding), shame (ding, ding), shame (ding, ding) . . . . . . .   As an aside, I just love wearing kilts in the winter, don't you????   ?

• I like it 1

I've never gone chasing LEs,  at least not most of the time.    Here in Pennsy,  LEs crop up from time to time,  and the state store puts them out at regular retail with no additional mark-up.   You just need to be prepared to grab 'em when you see 'em.    But  mostly these days I am perfectly content with standard-issue Bookers and Bakers,  Wild Turkey/RR single barrels and small batches,  and Old Forester "Whiskey Row" bottles.  Those are the three legacy distillers I most care about,  and you don't need to resort to LEs to sample their finest stuff.    And the rest of my budget I still tend to blow on craft bourbons that interest me,  with the knowledge that I'm at risk of being either burned or rewarded.    I get as much fun out of trying new craft products as some get, I presume, from LEs from the legacy distillers.    That's where I scratch my "voyage of discovery" itch these days.      

Edited by Jazzhead

9 hours ago, GeeTen said:

More taxes on hooch?  Shame (ding, ding), shame (ding, ding), shame (ding, ding) . . . . . . .   As an aside, I just love wearing kilts in the winter, don't you????   ?

Uh Frank, Conner is an Irish name, not Scottish. ?  Please don’t make me remind you again. ?

And yes, if I had to make a choice of Scotch or Irish whiskey, I’d choose Irish. This is regardless of my ancestral background. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Uh Frank, Conner is an Irish name, not Scottish. ?  Please don’t make me remind you again. ?

And yes, if I had to make a choice of Scotch or Irish whiskey, I’d choose Irish. This is regardless of my ancestral background. ?

Biba! Joe

Scottish or Irish - makes no "never mind" to me because . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . because you all look alike to me!  ?

There's a Chinese joke in there somewhere, honest.  ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 7

2 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Scottish or Irish - makes no "never mind" to me because . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . because you all look alike to me!  ?

Well, I did leave the door open.....? Cheers Frank! 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, GeeTen said:

There's a Chinese joke in there somewhere, honest.  ?

“All look same!”

?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.