Achieving Bourbon Zen - A Mini Manifesto

humchan2k
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think bourbon zen is when your wife encourages you to check out the liquor store and you leave without buying anything, even though the shelves are well stocked.   

• I like it 2

Either I'm at zen, or I've just got too much tiredhead from it all at this point.  Maybe a little of both.  I have purchased one bottle in the past month and haven't made any attempt to hunt any of the fall releases.  I've been traveling for work and haven't even stepped into a LS on the road to see what they have.

I feel like a music snob at this point.  You know how when you first discover an underground band, and you love going to their live shows because everyone else is also a big fan, and you even know or at least recognize all of them there?  And then over time the band gets bigger, and the next show you go to has a few familiar faces but a lot of strangers just calling to hear the one song that may be on the radio?  And then even later down the road you recognize nobody at the shows, nobody cares about any of the songs except the one big hit, and it infuriates you and you just want them to go away?  That's how I feel about bourbon right now.  Does that make me a bourbon snob?  Oh well...

• I like it 2

I was a lurker here before I joined and the original post and discussion in this thread had an impact on my mindset about whisky. At this point I usually only buy multiples if one of three conditions are met. The first is if I come across a store pick or single barrel that I really like. Second, if something seems like a great deal (for instance, I thought those SAOS barrel proof ryes were a steal at $40). And finally, if a favorite has been or looks likely to be discontinued. Otherwise, I mainly only buy new bottles when I've finished one at home. I'm happy to drink only readily available favorites and bottles from my relatively modest stash (well, not sure my wife would agree that it's all that modest) until the current mania subsides.

I think the sentiment expressed throughout this thread is really useful for folks newer to the hobby. It was for me anyway.

i started my bourbon adventure already at Zen... for years I drank JBW with coke and was happy as a pig in shit...  :)  As I got older and started to move up the shelves my first stepping stone was Knob Creek, a logical extension of my JBW preference and now I had a "sipper" to go with my cheap Beam & Coke. Over the years I expanded to WT, MM, and WR and for years I lived in this bliss of ignorance... Then YOU GUYS came along! I went to the KBF for the first time in 2010 and just by chance booked a room at the GN. That night I saw a bunch of guys out under the gazebo so I decided to go out and check out the scene, as I got closer I saw the table... POOF! Zen gone... It has taken many years of trying pretty much EVERYTHING that came along and scouring the BOTM thread for info and reviews on something I saw on the shelf or a bottle some LS manager was trying to push on me. Pretty much all my purchases were from two local stores or the occasional trip to Liquor Barn. Now with over 150 bottles on hand and many years of frustrated yearning for a Pappy or BTAC I'm finally getting back closer to Zen. Last year I acquired my first Pappy (23) and a THH. Yep they were good... but having caught the bunny, this dog race is coming to an end. I've had "the good stuff" and can now settle back into my ECBP, Stagg jr., CEHT, Bookers, WTRB, and SB Blend and just wait for the email or phone call from the LS's I've built relationships with and go pick up my PHC 11 cask, EC18 and BTAC at my leisure.

• I like it 5

This is a pretty neat thread.  When I first read the OP the other night, I did so without noting the date of the post, and thought it was a perfect observation on much of the bourbon fanaticism going on today.  Then, lo and behold, I see it was written four years ago, which was something of a head-scratcher for me, as it would indicate that my entire bourbon journey has occurred contemporaneously with the boom/bubble/cultural moment bourbon is having.  In fact, the four-year old date on this thread is very interesting for me, as that is probably just around the time I would have purchased my first bottle of Buffalo Trace and really started my love-affair with America's spirit. 

Because of that timing, I had to ask myself whether I am just a band-wagoner and harming the culture by joining the cult when I did.  Upon reflection, I don't think so.  I'll confess, I believe I am technically of an age to be considered one of the "millennials" referenced in the OP, but I like to think I've avoided falling into the hype-trap that was being referred to specifically. 

For some historical background: my whiskey journey started like many others, i.e.  well whiskey shots and mixed with coke. As I got a bit older, I always bought into idea that I needed to get into single malt scotch whisky as part of an image/status thing, and I started to enjoy some decent scotches.  Then one day at a friend's party, there were a couple bottles of Buffalo Trace, and it hit me like a ton of bricks: I enjoy the flavors of bourbon way more than single malt and blended scotch . . . image and status be damned! Since then, I began sampling and learning as much as I could.  When I started buying bottles, I did so with a few goals: (1) find the absolute best value whiskey for my palate, starting the search on the lower shelves; and (2) start to build a collection over the long-haul that I can keep for higher-end pours to share with close friends, family, special occasions, etc. recognizing that should be a decades long endeavor. (Frankly, the second goal is coming along worse-off than the first, just because once I open something good, its really hard not to keep drinking it :D).  In pursuing those objectives, I only shop at one liquor store, primarily, where I've built a good relationship with the owner and staff.  I'll still pop in others from time to time just to price check and see if there's anything really exotic yet affordable that I'm missing, and I'll browse a store or two when traveling, just for curiosity sake or to get something good for immediate drinking.  But I'd hardly call what I do hunting.  

And while I've made efforts to make sure I get a chance to buy a BTAC or PVW when they come through, I can't say I've obsessed over it to the degree I see other people of my generation do (particularly online).  I am also pleased that my other responsibilities in life have imposed a definite ceiling to what I'm willing to pay.  I've settled in to a nice revolving selection of casual sippers -- Evan Williams SiB, Henry McKenna 10 yr, Eagle Rare, 4RSiB -- and but for my desire to have some good barrel proof juice from time to time, I'm sure I could be perfectly happy never spending above that price range (~$30), even though I regularly do.  Granted, I've definitely spent more on whiskey this year than any prior year of my life, but I think I've built my collection up well enough that I can reverse that trend for the next few years by just restocking casual sippers and buying a special bottle but a few times per year.  Again, perhaps true bourbon zen eludes me, but to the extent it is reached through recognizing the joy and quality in sipping juice that tastes good, subjective to oneself, and finding contentment in doing so without regard to limited/allocated/special release or astronomical price status, I'd have to conclude I'm on my way. 

Sorry for the wall of text. 

• I like it 5

Great post BigSky!  Thanks for giving us an insight into your journey so far and welcome to the forum.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, meadeweber said:

Great post BigSky!  Thanks for giving us an insight into your journey so far and welcome to the forum.

Thanks meadeweber. Glad to be here, learning a fair amount, and enjoying the convos and camaraderie. Cheers!

Love threads like this, especially this time of the year. Went by the local LS today to look for a bottle of Russell’s Reserve to replace a bottle finished over the weekend. Guess what, it was there on the shelf just waiting on me. I didn’t even have to beg borrow or steal to buy it.

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

This is a pretty neat thread.  When I first read the OP the other night, I did so without noting the date of the post, and thought it was a perfect observation on much of the bourbon fanaticism going on today.  Then, lo and behold, I see it was written four years ago, which was something of a head-scratcher for me, as it would indicate that my entire bourbon journey has occurred contemporaneously with the boom/bubble/cultural moment bourbon is having.  In fact, the four-year old date on this thread is very interesting for me, as that is probably just around the time I would have purchased my first bottle of Buffalo Trace and really started my love-affair with America's spirit. 

Because of that timing, I had to ask myself whether I am just a band-wagoner and harming the culture by joining the cult when I did.  Upon reflection, I don't think so.  I'll confess, I believe I am technically of an age to be considered one of the "millennials" referenced in the OP, but I like to think I've avoided falling into the hype-trap that was being referred to specifically. 

For some historical background: my whiskey journey started like many others, i.e.  well whiskey shots and mixed with coke. As I got a bit older, I always bought into idea that I needed to get into single malt scotch whisky as part of an image/status thing, and I started to enjoy some decent scotches.  Then one day at a friend's party, there were a couple bottles of Buffalo Trace, and it hit me like a ton of bricks: I enjoy the flavors of bourbon way more than single malt and blended scotch . . . image and status be damned! Since then, I began sampling and learning as much as I could.  When I started buying bottles, I did so with a few goals: (1) find the absolute best value whiskey for my palate, starting the search on the lower shelves; and (2) start to build a collection over the long-haul that I can keep for higher-end pours to share with close friends, family, special occasions, etc. recognizing that should be a decades long endeavor. (Frankly, the second goal is coming along worse-off than the first, just because once I open something good, its really hard not to keep drinking it :D).  In pursuing those objectives, I only shop at one liquor store, primarily, where I've built a good relationship with the owner and staff.  I'll still pop in others from time to time just to price check and see if there's anything really exotic yet affordable that I'm missing, and I'll browse a store or two when traveling, just for curiosity sake or to get something good for immediate drinking.  But I'd hardly call what I do hunting.  

And while I've made efforts to make sure I get a chance to buy a BTAC or PVW when they come through, I can't say I've obsessed over it to the degree I see other people of my generation do (particularly online).  I am also pleased that my other responsibilities in life have imposed a definite ceiling to what I'm willing to pay.  I've settled in to a nice revolving selection of casual sippers -- Evan Williams SiB, Henry McKenna 10 yr, Eagle Rare, 4RSiB -- and but for my desire to have some good barrel proof juice from time to time, I'm sure I could be perfectly happy never spending above that price range (~$30), even though I regularly do.  Granted, I've definitely spent more on whiskey this year than any prior year of my life, but I think I've built my collection up well enough that I can reverse that trend for the next few years by just restocking casual sippers and buying a special bottle but a few times per year.  Again, perhaps true bourbon zen eludes me, but to the extent it is reached through recognizing the joy and quality in sipping juice that tastes good, subjective to oneself, and finding contentment in doing so without regard to limited/allocated/special release or astronomical price status, I'd have to conclude I'm on my way. 

Sorry for the wall of text. 

Only a few times per year is there a post written here on SB that so transcends the subject matter of our hobby.  This is one of those times.  Bravo!

• I like it 2

I reached this point a couple of years ago.  From a drinking standpoint, I'm perfectly happy.  I don't miss drinking Pappy, BTAC, etc.  I find plenty of variety with what I can get locally, and bottles like FR store picks I can sometimes get when travelling.  I do miss the hobbyist aspect of it.  I don't spend much time on here or elsewhere online discussing bourbon.  I don't go to the liquor store to see what they have.  I don't swap samples with people very often.  I don't hunt down LE's to give as gifts.  There's just not much 'hobby' to it when I'm mostly drinking from the same rotation of 15 or so bourbons.

20 hours ago, IowaJeff said:

I reached this point a couple of years ago.  From a drinking standpoint, I'm perfectly happy.  I don't miss drinking Pappy, BTAC, etc.  I find plenty of variety with what I can get locally, and bottles like FR store picks I can sometimes get when travelling.  I do miss the hobbyist aspect of it.  I don't spend much time on here or elsewhere online discussing bourbon.  I don't go to the liquor store to see what they have.  I don't swap samples with people very often.  I don't hunt down LE's to give as gifts.  There's just not much 'hobby' to it when I'm mostly drinking from the same rotation of 15 or so bourbons.

Hey, as long you've found your own "sweet spot" in which to dwell; life is good, right?     :) Live the life you enjoy, and be happy; I say.

• I like it 2

Here's my Bourbon Zen 2017.

There is a grocery store relatively close.  They stock: WT RB & KS, the regular 4R brands, KCSB, and a lot of the other normal stuff.  Now and then, I see some really low sale prices. 

Also, I know a hole in the wall type liquor store.  They do such a brisk business with: cold beer, lottery, and tobacco.  They usually sell bonded whiskey and "allocated items" @ MSRP.

The newer items I want to try are not too rare or expensive either.

If I luck into some nice discontinued dusty bottles with the original price - that's good too. 

• I like it 1

How's this.  After chatting a good while with a store manager (about Tequila) she sold me an ECBP from behind the counter for $49.99.  Then she asked if I wanted to put my name on the waiting list for the VW stuff.  I politely declined.  

• I like it 2

43 minutes ago, Three quarks said:

I haven't purchased anything for about 1/2 year. I have a couple cases socked away and am working to reduce that. But with age comes health issues and I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of bourbon. I really wouldn't feel comfortable with what I see in some of the bunker photos (although 20 years ago, maybe).

I'm certain many here would be glad to assist you with liquidation of any bunker-dwelling-bourbons you feel the need to eliminate.  :)   All you need do is ask.

On 11/11/2017 at 2:11 AM, PaulO said:

Here's my Bourbon Zen 2017.

There is a grocery store relatively close.  They stock: WT RB & KS, the regular 4R brands, KCSB, and a lot of the other normal stuff.  Now and then, I see some really low sale prices. 

Also, I know a hole in the wall type liquor store.  They do such a brisk business with: cold beer, lottery, and tobacco.  They usually sell bonded whiskey and "allocated items" @ MSRP.

The newer items I want to try are not too rare or expensive either.

If I luck into some nice discontinued dusty bottles with the original price - that's good too. 

I think I know the grocery store you are talking about.  I was in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago and surprised to see they had WT RB, WT KS and KCSB.  Our local store doesn't. :mellow:  But, they do offer an occasional 30% off sale on their already good sale prices.

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I'm certain many here would be glad to assist you with liquidation of any bunker-dwelling-bourbons you feel the need to eliminate.  :)   All you need do is ask.

12 minutes ago, Three quarks said:

Good point. I'll try and remember that.

Don't do it. It's a trap! :lol:

Cheers! Joe

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I think I know the grocery store you are talking about.  I was in your neck of the woods a few weeks ago and surprised to see they had WT RB, WT KS and KCSB.  Our local store doesn't. :mellow:  But, they do offer an occasional 30% off sale on their already good sale prices.

Yeah, The thing is - to find something already on sale plus the 30% sale on top of that.

Just realized that I currently have zero bourbon blogs bookmarked. That's a sign of being closer to zen.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:52 PM, flahute said:

Just realized that I currently have zero bourbon blogs bookmarked. That's a sign of being closer to zen.

WOW!!!   Zero???  :lol:   That is amazing.  

Then again, with your well-earned knowledge and experience Steve, you would probably write a waaaaay better blog than most of the ones I've ever seen.  :D

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

WOW!!!   Zero???  :lol:   That is amazing.  

Then again, with your well-earned knowledge and experience Steve, you would probably write a waaaaay better blog than most of the ones I've ever seen.  :D

Ha! You are too kind. 

It's true though that outside of this place, I have no other bookmarks. To be fair, I got a new computer this summer so otherwise, I'd have still had the old ones. As I was re-establishing my bookmarks on the new machine, I just didn't feel the need to carry over any of the old bookmarks I had. I learn everything I need to know either here or when I'm in Kentucky on distillery related business.

I do have a couple friends who write for blogs and I follow them on Twitter so I still read the posts that they tweet. It's a far cry different though from 3-4 years ago when I had more than a dozen blogs bookmarked that I would read religiously. There's just no need anymore.

• I like it 3

• 2 years later...

FWIW, I figured it was time to give this thread a bump.

I have a lot of Wellers, as evidenced by the following pictures. Do I have enough? Probably. Will I try and cut back on my purchases in the coming year? Uhh, yeah maybe. Or maybe not. Who the heck am I trying to kid?  :huh: Whether it's the thrill of the hunt or fomo, I'll probably still be on the lookout for Wellers despite reaching at least some gratifying level of Bourbon/Weller Zen. What can I say?  Once a Weller Whore....... ^_^

Biba! Joe

P1140437.jpeg

P1140443.jpeg

P1140450.jpeg

P1140457.jpeg

P1140460.jpeg

• I like it 1

Well, I think I've reached a comfortable level, at least for awhile.  In spite of LAST year's New Year's Resolution to work DOWN the bunker, my major accomplishment has been to roll over its inventory. The good news with that is - quality improved with no real increase in cost.  For example, the new releases I purchased (multiples of JAM's MHC, OF's new rye, OF's 1897 - ALL on sale - plus some other standard offerings) now sit in space previously occupied by an armful (or three) of craft products I purchased years ago in moments of true weakness.  OTOH, I still haven't finished off that odd-shaped carafe/decanter of underaged Willett stuff I bought in 2014 (which would free up quite a bit of space).  SO, my resolution has been extended for at least an other year.

I must be doing something right as I don't feel deprived of bourbon or rye even though it's been months since I was warned about the encroaching bottle collection in the corner of the dining room OR felt guilty about buying stuff when I KNOW I don't need more.  PLUS, the car trunk is empty (I think - uh, maybe not, I'll have to check),  I'm a little sad that my few remaining 4R PS's are down to their last inch, and I only have ONE that isn't open.  BUT - EC BP is comparably priced here and easier to find, and I like it - not as much, but given the lack of 4R PS's around here . . .

Big test comes day after tomorrow.  Wife has a huge shopping day scheduled, and I'll have to occupy myself with "something" for about two hours before we go to lunch.  Guess what I'm going to be doing?!!

• I like it 1

40 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

FWIW, I figured it was time to give this thread a bump.

I have a lot of Wellers, as evidenced by the following pictures. Do I have enough? Probably. Will I try and cut back on my purchases in the coming year? Uhh, yeah maybe. Or maybe not. Who the heck am I trying to kid?  :huh: Whether it's the thrill of the hunt or fomo, I'll probably still be on the lookout for Wellers despite reaching at least some gratifying level of Bourbon/Weller Zen. What can I say?  Once a Weller Whore....... ^_^

Biba! Joe

P1140437.jpeg

P1140443.jpeg

P1140450.jpeg

P1140457.jpeg

P1140460.jpeg

You know what you like and you stick with it. There's a definite zen in that.

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.