Achieving Bourbon Zen - A Mini Manifesto

humchan2k
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On January 10, 2020 at 12:19 AM, The Black Tot said:

Please, Jeff.

SB.com members wear GOLD foil hats.

And, cheesy at that!  :D

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, parksmart said:

“All look same!”

?

You misspelled "look"...;)

• I like it 2

On 1/9/2020 at 11:19 PM, The Black Tot said:

Please, Jeff.

SB.com members wear GOLD foil hats.

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

And, cheesy at that!  :D

Only the older grouchy members.

Damn, being in that "certain demographic" pigeonholes me into all kinds of things :D

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 4

Given my most recent acquisitions, I believe I'm getting closer and closer. Even though I have a couple of more "irons in the fire", my Weller family is compete. If any more branches of the family tree spout, so be it. 

FWIW, collecting all the bottle sizes to complete the BT family was fun. Collecting the Weller family was fun too, but y'all know how I feel about my Wellers. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

P1130744.jpeg

DSC_0009.jpeg

• I like it 3

On this topic it occurred to me that by passing on Booker's 30th, this year's PH rye, and the WTMK rye, and that I still have no regrets or FOMO from it that I'm a few steps closer to zen.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Given my most recent acquisitions, I believe I'm getting closer and closer. Even though I have a couple of more "irons in the fire", my Weller family is compete. If any more branches of the family tree spout, so be it. 

FWIW, collecting all the bottle sizes to complete the BT family was fun. Collecting the Weller family was fun too, but y'all know how I feel about my Wellers. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

P1130744.jpeg

DSC_0009.jpeg

Lemme get this straight.  You saying you now going to collect SIZES?!!!  You don't care what's in'em????!!  You next going to show us your extensive Mike's Hard Lemonade bottle and can collection?????!!!  Are you a Millennial trolling us?:ph34r:

ON THREAD - Zen hit me again, I think, a couple of days ago when (as I mentioned on an other thread) I was in a store that advertised Baker's 7YR on sale for $49, and the guy, about 40, ahead of me looked at the empty Baker's space and said, "They're out.  I was looking for a Baker's as a gift for my brother in law who loves bourbon."  Further down the upper shelf, I spotted ONE Baker's 13 Year @ $99.  I said, "Take that one.  It's a special Baker's."  Guy thanked me and was paying when he heard me ask the clerk if there were more in the back.  "No, that's the only one."  Guy says, "Are you sure you don't want this? I can find him something else." I shook my head and said, "No.  If he loves bourbon, he'll love you for that one."  Yeah, I was wistful, but I didn't regret telling him to take it.

I sure hope his brother in law, if also about 40, is not a tater.

• I like it 9

On this topic it occurred to me that by passing on Booker's 30th, this year's PH rye, and the WTMK rye, and that I still have no regrets or FOMO from it that I'm a few steps closer to zen.

I couldn’t pass on any of those, so I guess I’m nowhere close to whiskey/whisky zen!

1 minute ago, lcpfratn said:

I couldn’t pass on any of those, so I guess I’m nowhere close to whiskey/whisky zen!

LOL! I had two pours of Booker's 30th at a bar and really liked it. I just couldn't justify the price. On the other two, I'm just not as into rye as most here are. I have to be in the mood and when I'm not I get more mint on the palate than I prefer. In the past, that wouldn't have stopped me because LIMITED! and/or EXTRA AGE! I'm now at a zen enough place that I won't take a chance on something like that if it comes with a very high cost.

• I like it 2

36 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I ain’t sayin’ nuthin’ Jeff.  :huh:  Far be it for me to........”SQUIRREL!”  :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I ain’t sayin’ nuthin’ Jeff.  :huh:  Far be it for me to........”SQUIRREL!”  :lol:

Biba! Joe

Where...Where...Where? [emoji12]
  • I like it 1

LOL! I had two pours of Booker's 30th at a bar and really liked it. I just couldn't justify the price. On the other two, I'm just not as into rye as most here are. I have to be in the mood and when I'm not I get more mint on the palate than I prefer. In the past, that wouldn't have stopped me because LIMITED! and/or EXTRA AGE! I'm now at a zen enough place that I won't take a chance on something like that if it comes with a very high cost.

I guess I really should have said that I didn’t pass on any of those, but I also got them all at retail or a small premium. The Booker’s 30th price was the the toughest to stomach even though I paid retail for it. I do like rye quite a bit, and I’m happy with both of them, but I really like the Parker’s!

11 hours ago, flahute said:

The WTMK rye is the only one that got the better of me this year. And it wasn't worth the price. Not even close. It's roughly on par with a decent Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye. I was disappointed with it to put it mildly - it's perfectly pleasant to drink but it's really nothing special - if the price was $60 or so I would sing its praises from the rooftops. I did a blind with RRSB, WT101 rye, and WTMK. WTMK and RRSB are clearly a step above WT101, but I guessed wrong on WTMK / RRSB, slightly preferring RRSB.

Edited by EarthQuake

46 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

The WTMK rye is the only one that got the better of me this year. And it wasn't worth the price. Not even close. It's roughly on par with a decent Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye. I was disappointed with it to put it mildly - it's perfectly pleasant to drink but it's really nothing special - if the price was $60 or so I would sing its praises from the rooftops. I did a blind with RRSB, WT101 rye, and WTMK. WTMK and RRSB are clearly a step above WT101, but I guessed wrong on WTMK / RRSB, slightly preferring RRSB.

Thank you for confirming what others confirmed which is why a stayed on the sidelines.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Definitely two camps on this one...one that feels it's not an appreciable step up from the standard WT Rye offerings, and others (like me) who REALLY like it.  After cracking the first, I've gone back and bought a couple backups.  Not sure I've seen anyone else point this out, but at 9+ years old, it's likely some of the last WT Rye that's 100% from the old distillery...

22 minutes ago, sbsbsb said:

Definitely two camps on this one...one that feels it's not an appreciable step up from the standard WT Rye offerings, and others (like me) who REALLY like it.  After cracking the first, I've gone back and bought a couple backups.  Not sure I've seen anyone else point this out, but at 9+ years old, it's likely some of the last WT Rye that's 100% from the old distillery...

Yeah I've heard a few others say that they really love it, so I'm not sure what the deal is. It doesn't live up to the WTMK bottle in my mind. Revival and 17 were special, and I still want to find a bottle of Decades which I've heard nothing but good about. The rye would have been okay at maybe $80 or so, but there's no way this is a $150+ whiskey. I keep going back to it hoping that I'm just missing something and there are hidden layers of complexity in there, but... nope.

26 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Yeah I've heard a few others say that they really love it, so I'm not sure what the deal is. It doesn't live up to the WTMK bottle in my mind. Revival and 17 were special, and I still want to find a bottle of Decades which I've heard nothing but good about. The rye would have been okay at maybe $80 or so, but there's no way this is a $150+ whiskey. I keep going back to it hoping that I'm just missing something and there are hidden layers of complexity in there, but... nope.

It's all good...different strokes.  For me, the 17 year was just too overoaked and a bit musty.  The Decades was really solid, but I actually feel about this one the way you feel about Cornerstone...I've had Kentucky Spirit and RRSiB picks that were just as good, or in some instances, better.  The Cornerstone has a sweetness, and a cherry/butterscotch candied quality to it that I just don't detect in any of the other WT Rye offerings.

• I like it 1

I've been disappointed in master's keep for last few years.  But really enjoyed half metal bottle traditions in the crazy box last night

Ladies and gentlemen. Today I bask in the glory of my own little zen moment. Please join me in my bliss (or despair depending on how you look at it).

IMG_20200122_232432.thumb.jpg.0f49d2a3c91adb7fda022d5fd5a74067.jpg

It's gone. My last bottle of bourbon. I exhausted the stash. It's surreal.

Of course I knew that was coming, but I genuinely didn't realize this was it. I signed in to post this pic to the empty bottle thread, and reached to pour a night cap, but alas... So how did this happen? I've been very vocal here about my burnout from chasing unicorns and old basics at insane prices. I stopped shopping bourbon in 2017 -- don't count the 2 bottles I bought for consumption with friends like the JAM above. Some may remember that I turned down an Al Young at MSRP just because I was at a point where I couldn't stomach being summoned to a liquor store over the phone. Turns out 3 years is enough to burn through an unattended bunker.

I still have a small (by SB standards) liquor collection, and the plan is to spend a month or two getting intimate with neglected bottles. Maybe hit that mezcal shelf, and keep working on the rums and Scotch. I'll then grab some WT, OGD and KC. It's been too long, it feels so liberating to have shelf space for the truly good stuff.

• I like it 7

The good ole days when my wife could walk into the local LS and buy me a bottle she thought was cute

spacer.png

EB18BBAF-1FCA-4D7F-B5A6-1D89A00B8DFF.jpeg

that was Zen, this is now 

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 2

• 3 months later...

Have I achieved Bourbon Zen? Just when I think I might have, or that I might possibly be getting really close........

NEWS FLASH! 

“Binny’s to open store in Rockford”

Looks like I might never be able to retire. I’m so screwed. ? 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

I saw This Ole Thread near the top this morning. I went to page 1 and read every post, then page 2. For those newer to the wonderful world of bourbon it's an interesting note that the weeping and gnashing of teeth was as strong in the Holiday Season of 2013 as it's been the past few. The difference of course was when you just had to settle with W12, EC12, and other "mid-shelfers". And then Zen was quoted succinctly by our sensei  in NE MS. If he'll allow me to plagiarize I'd like to keep the quote in hand at all times by making it my new sig line. This thread has been an unfolding evolution of how many of us are feeling. The opening salvo by humchan2k is not only eloquent but timeless. JMO  

On 1/23/2020 at 12:26 AM, jvd99 said:

The good ole days when my wife could walk into the local LS and buy me a bottle she thought was cute

spacer.png

EB18BBAF-1FCA-4D7F-B5A6-1D89A00B8DFF.jpeg

that was Zen, this is now 

I've got to admin, I am SUPER envious of that bottle. I can only imagine how good it is.

3 hours ago, clearmoon247 said:

I've got to admin, I am SUPER envious of that bottle. I can only imagine how good it is.

It loox unopened in that pic, so maybe that's all anybody can do.....?

• 11 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.