Collingwood 21yr Rye

theglobalguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having tried and enjoyed the Collingwood Whisky (heck of a value and the bottle reminds me of cologne), i'm curious about this one. $69ish sounds cheap relative to the WP offerings as of late.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/collingwood-whisky-releases-limited-edition-21-year-old-rye-231020111.html

Without having sampled any older CDN rye before, anyone have a thought at what it'd compare to? I've had the HW 21 and some of the "Doug's" Willet.

Having tried and enjoyed the Collingwood Whisky (heck of a value and the bottle reminds me of cologne), i'm curious about this one. $69ish sounds cheap relative to the WP offerings as of late.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/collingwood-whisky-releases-limited-edition-21-year-old-rye-231020111.html

Without having sampled any older CDN rye before, anyone have a thought at what it'd compare to? I've had the HW 21 and some of the "Doug's" Willet.

I saw the email from Caskers earlier today, $63 for this. I was tempted but that seems too good to be true for a 100% rye.

Site says it's a one off and at that price, yes, I expect Whistlepig would try for at least three times that.

I saw the email from Caskers earlier today, $63 for this. I was tempted but that seems too good to be true for a 100% rye.
Edited by portwood

Site says it's a one off and at that price, yes, I expect Whistlepig would try for at least three times that.

I agree with you on NDP pricing but to be (just a bit) fair to Whistlepig, they bottle the stuff well north of the 40% minimum. The Collingwood 21 is loaded with "pure Georgian Bay spring water":rolleyes: to the minimum 40% abv

But it is 100% MALTED rye. Most malted rye I've had to date was the Lot 40 (10% malted/90% unmalted rye). Really curious about this and will buy if <$55 at the LCBO. Cheers to Chuck Cowdrey's blog for the heads-up!

It sounds like an all-flavouring whiskey, i.e., the counterpart to a U.S. rye or bourbon in terms of distilling out-proof. I think B-F uses all-charred barrels too in Collingwood. Anyway, will be interesting to try this. Maybe it will taste like WP, Masterson or those in that group.

Gary

I like that they are pricing this reasonably, but I think used barrels and 40% is going to end up being sweet and watery despite the 21y. I would love an inexpensive rye of this age, but I think this one is not going to be amazing.

Plenty of run of the mill 21 year 80 proof Scotchs cost that or more, this one has a unique mashbill so let's see how it tastes. Batter up.

I think the 80 proof point is the deal breaker for me. I'm definitely curious to try it, but not sure I could pull the trigger blind. Sounds like it will be in low supply (at least in Georgia - a little birdie said < 25 bottles for the whole state?)

Do we know what kind of barrel?

Gary

"matured for 21 years in seasoned oak barrels and in its finishing step, this unique Canadian whisky rests with toasted Maplewood to complete its smooth character."

In typical secretive Cdn whisky style ... who knows - and we're not likely to ever find out.

My ASSumptions:

seasoned oak barrels = re-re-fill ex-bourbon revitalized with some sweet wine

toasted maplewood = stainless steel tanks filled with wood chips for a few weeks

Edited by portwood

Plenty of run of the mill 21 year 80 proof Scotchs cost that or more, this one has a unique mashbill so let's see how it tastes. Batter up.

Thats actually a good point. Oddly enough I'm still more comfortable thinking about paying $120+ for a 21 year Glenfiddich than this $65 bottle. Maybe because I know how good the Glenfiddich is, even at the low proof, where as Canadian ryes have always been a disappointment to me. Though I have yet to crack my bottle of Alberta Premiums Dark Horse so my mind may be changed.

Glenfiddich is consistently good, I don't remember it being otherwise.

Thats what I was implying, I can always reach for it and know that it's good and it's a 21 year old 40% (or 43%?) Scotch thats significantly more expensive than this 21 year old Canadian rye, the thing you pointed out as a comparison. My issue is that I can't be sure that the Canadian rye is going to be any good while I can always be that way with Glenfiddich.

Sorry, I've been having problems correctly expressing myself all day, just ask my wife ;)

Yesterday I asked an LCBO employee if he could tell me anything about a release date for the Collingwood 21yr Rye. His answer after looking it up was no...

Yesterday I asked an LCBO employee if he could tell me anything about a release date for the Collingwood 21yr Rye. His answer after looking it up was no...

... and the "answer" surprised you?

... and the "answer" surprised you?

I saw it on the shelf at the Total Wine here in Bellevue, WA for $53 before tax (call it $66 or so after tax). At least it was a Collingwood 21 year something, I assume the rye.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.