Collingwood 21yr Rye

theglobalguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thad you have to get this one. It is like Lot 40 if aged another 10 years, IMO.

Gary

I think this just sealed my interest in it.

Love Lot 40, imagining a extra aged version of it, Hmmmmm......

B

That's exactly what it's like. The acetone-like (in a good way) heart of the spirit is there but smoothed down by years more aging and the beneficent (to my surprise) maple wood treatment. This is the style of Canadian that deserves to be canonical. The problem is, how much circa-20 year old, all-flavouring whisky is there in (anyone's) warehouse?

I tried it against that High West 21 year old rye mash, the latter had a substantial corn element. Much preferred the Colly 21.

Gary

The term overripe fruit is or in the past was used often to describe the palate of straight whiskey. I recall rotten peaches being one term used, which is not how I would put it, but I get what was meant. :)

Gary

I'm going to have to think about getting a bottle of this stuff...

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I'd also be interested in vatting some of this with a "base whisky" (say, Centennial 10 year old) just for fun.

I've been watching the LCBO inventory tick down by the week, hopeful there's more hidden somewhere in the pipeline as I much prefer the $55 CDN price. Makes a great excuse to go visit my Mom in Windsor!

The vatting with regular Canadian would work well, say the Centennial 10 with 10% of the Collingwood, or maybe 20%. You could also do a half and half although it would be better perhaps to use a 20 year old Canadian whisky of the regular type again, maybe CC 20 or one of the old Century's, to keep the wood balance in line. Lots of ways to do this.

After doing some more drinking and comparing I have to say I'm not a big fan of this release. It's drinkable but I feel like I'm forcing myself to like it. In a head-to-head comparison George Dickell Rye won hands-down.

Interesting to note the rapid decline of inventory at LCBO - no stocks left in Toronto.

Gary

Interesting to note the rapid decline of inventory at LCBO - no stocks left in Toronto.

Gary

Still see a good bit of it locally in Atlanta at last check a week or so ago.

• 1 month later...

Still hadn't opened my original purchase...but snagged a second on vacation and figured why not open at the hotel.

Nose: light wood, white pepper, pencil eraser (in the good way I swear)

Taste: buttered toast, breakfast cereal, smooth mouthfeel

Finish: whole tongue spice kick, long finish

Wish I had bunkered a few. Not cheap, but just a great aged Rye. I'm less experienced with Rye, but love the range even within the same style.

It's funny. It's easier to find the 21 y/o around here than it is to find the regular Collingwood.

It's funny. It's easier to find the 21 y/o around here than it is to find the regular Collingwood.

True statement in TN as well. I'd seen 3 or 4 shops carrying the Rye when it first came out, but none carry the standard offering. Now in Louisville loads of the regular and the Rye didn't get distributed here.....go figure.

• 4 weeks later...

The 12 year old asshat in me makes me always pretend to use this bottle as a stick of deodorant before I pop the big annoying piece of plastic off the top (which is probably why I never bothered to throw it away). Just to agree with some of the sentiments here... this is a helluva whiskey. A distinct piney nose, smooth smooth maple syrup oakiness in the mouth, with some solid rye bread spice at the end. I paid ~$60 and I find myself thinking that I would have gladly paid $100 if this was up in the 95+ proof range. Certainly don't regret this purchase though.

The 12 year old asshat in me makes me always pretend to use this bottle as a stick of deodorant before I pop the big annoying piece of plastic off the top (which is probably why I never bothered to throw it away). Just to agree with some of the sentiments here... this is a helluva whiskey. A distinct piney nose, smooth smooth maple syrup oakiness in the mouth, with some solid rye bread spice at the end. I paid ~$60 and I find myself thinking that I would have gladly paid $100 if this was up in the 95+ proof range. Certainly don't regret this purchase though.

Excellent comments. The pine and rye bread taste denote the true whiskey from rye i.e., distilled at a low proof.

I believe E.H.Taylor is also 100% malted rye and is delicious.

Joe :usflag:

Joe that Taylor is a great rye, to be sure, one of the best I've ever had. Is it really 100% malted rye? Would this mean a Canadian origin??

Gary

Joe that Taylor is a great rye, to be sure, one of the best I've ever had. Is it really 100% malted rye? Would this mean a Canadian origin??

Gary

My understanding is that it is made by BT, is a different mashbill from Baby Saz/Handy and I think Chuck Cowdery had speculated somewhere on here (maybe the Whiskey Tree thread) that it was perhaps around a 90% rye but I don't think we have ever had definitive word. I was not aware any of it was malted rye. About the only malted rye made in any volume I can think of off hand is Old Potrero from Anchor.

I didn't know the Town Branch Rye used malted rye. I did enjoy it when I tried it (much more than their bourbon).

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a Collingwood 21yr today. Will do a future tasting with Canadian Club 20 (camouflaged rye), Alberta Premium 30 (100% rye), Collingwood 21 (100% malted rye), 12yr Weller (no rye) and FR 125th (noticeable rye). Shall make for interesting comparisons...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.