Cutty Sark Composition

jonnyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have had, and enjoyed, a few different Single Malts and decided to try CS. My question is if it may have some Highland Park juice in the blend being from the sane parent company and all. Also the peated scotch component made me think of HP. Coincidence or fact?

The non age stated bottle likely contains:

- Glenrothes (significant amount)

- Highland Park (small amount)

- Macallan (even smaller amount but not likely from sherry casks. Note that Mac fills significant amount of new-make into "fine oak" casks - code for ex-bourbon)

- many others

- much more grain (non-malt) whiskies

The age stated bottles probably contain more of the 3 single malts and less of the grain components, with the proportion of SM/grain increasing with higher ages

Edited by portwood

I've always had a fondness for Cutty though it's been quite awhile since we've had any. I expect the blend remains consistent though I doubt the constituent whiskys are aged as long as they once were.

Rather a mish mash of an interview to wade through for a few sentences worth reading. Even got the history wrong, Cutty Sark was named for a boat, not the girl, though the boat was named from the poem.

I liked the gangster references although history is again being somewhat sanitized. Truth is Cutty was not developed for a World market (the new story), rather it was developed specifically for Prohibition era customers in the U.S. I believe even the company repeats the story of mobster "Legs" Diammond showing up at the doors of Berry Bros. & Rudd with a string of London taxicabs which after being loaded with cases of Cutty departed for parts unknown.

It could be argued Cutty Sark is the most American of Scottish blends.

Thanks for the info y'all. I figured that the grain component was pretty high being a NAS blend at that price point. This will be another solid inexpensive pour to keep in mind.

I have never tired Cutty Sark but I have always been interested since my grandfather always had some on hand and it was the spirit of choice by Vince Lombardi. I know that is a stupid reason. I would like to try the newer version, Prohibition.

My mom in her bar in Montreal has a bottle of Cutty that must be 30 years old. I take a pull every time I visit. Excellent product. Light, but has a good balance and flavour. It makes a good Scotch Mist too, an American way to drink what indeed is the quintessential American Scotch blend. I like it neat though.

Gray

My mom in her bar in Montreal has a bottle of Cutty that must be 30 years old. I take a pull every time I visit.

You should take bigger pulls or visit more often.:slappin:

Wow! A Mom who owns a bar and in Montreal. How cool is that.

Gary if you would share the name of the establishment I'd love to visit on my next trip north of the border.

My mom in her bar in Montreal has a bottle of Cutty that must be 30 years old. I take a pull every time I visit. Excellent product. Light, but has a good balance and flavour. It makes a good Scotch Mist too, an American way to drink what indeed is the quintessential American Scotch blend. I like it neat though.

Gray

I think I would enjoy a stop at that bar to have pull from the Cutty Sark and what ever else we could come up with!

Wish I had a bottle from 30 years ago to compare with one purchased today.

As it happens I do have a bottle of Cutty Sark from about 30 years ago! No idea how to confirm the age though.

Although I think it has been open for 30 years...

Mostly old liqueurs in there, nothing that interesting. I'll see if I can get that Cutty to take home though and bring to a future Gazebo, I'll try. :)

On the point of being dusty, if well-sealed it should be good. Oxidation will take a toll over a rather long period but if reasonably sealed and not too depleted it should be okay. It's always that inch or two in the base that seems finally to be stricken, not sure why, perhaps the over supply of oxygen.

Gray

Edited by Gillman

Mostly old liqueurs in there, nothing that interesting. I'll see if I can get that Cutty to take home though and bring to a future Gazebo, I'll try. :)

On the point of being dusty, if well-sealed it should be good. Oxidation will take a toll over a rather long period but if reasonably sealed and not too depleted it should be okay. It's always that inch or two in the base that seems finally to be stricken, not sure why, perhaps the over supply of oxygen.

Gray

I thought I read somewhere the core malts for Cutty Sark were Glenrothes and Tamdhu (which where made by the same company until Tamdhu was sold off).

I think the blend can be shifted as needed due to supplies but does not drift away from the flavor profile.

Higher proof, higher malt, reasonable price, somebody's listening.

Yeah, this one sounds like it might be a winner. I've never had the regular CS, now I think I may have to give it a try. I'm always up for finding a cheap, but still tasty, scotch.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.