10 yr Old Rip Van Winkle

burghguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The liquor store I frequent just called me with a chance to buy Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr. for $125. I remember buying it in the same store 5 years ago for $39 right off the shelf, so I told them no thanks. I can buy 5 Weller 12 yr. for that price. Was I wrong to do so? What is the going price for Old Rip 10 yr.?

The liquor store I frequent just called me with a chance to buy Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr. for $125. I remember buying it in the same store 5 years ago for $39 right off the shelf, so I told them no thanks. I can buy 5 Weller 12 yr. for that price. Was I wrong to do so? What is the going price for Old Rip 10 yr.?

Don't know where you live but even here in Ontario (where bourbon prices are at least 50% higher than most parts of the US) the ORVW 10 listed recently for $74!

I paid $100 but this is my first bottle so I felt it was worth the chance. Being new to Bourbon/Rye I was surprised my dealer held one for me. I also felt that if I purchased he would more likely give me more choices in the future

I wouldn't want to make any other purchases from a guy who charged a 150% markup and acted like he was doing me a favor.

I have found that the Old Rip line is much, much easier to find in finer bars and restaurants than it is in retail. I would, at those prices, walk away, and drink it in a bar instead -- assuming it's a reputable bar...

I wouldn't want to make any other purchases from a guy who charged a 150% markup and acted like he was doing me a favor.

Agreed. I won't want to either.

Agreed - I paid $55 - reluctantly, I had to really think about it. It was the only BTAC/VW I could get this year. Unless it is Saz 18, I'm out.

I will happily pass on everything if the markup is more than 20%. There's plenty others to choose from.

Edit: I guess i'm fine with the regular markup that the stores need to make a profit. The better word to use in the above is premium. If they are charging more than 20% premium over the retail, I'd pass on everything.

Edited by hn4bourbon

You did the right thing. To pay those prices just encourages the feeding frenzy.

I can't help but look at this and wonder if, ten or twelve years down the road, the question's going to be "Rip Van Who?".

10/107 has been around the $40 mark for ages. It was probably lower 20 years ago when there was so much of it that it was being bottled as Old Commonwealth for about half that price. Places that are charging $125 for it because of the Pappy cachet will find gullible suck...erm, discriminating connoisseurs who will buy it today, but then tomorrow will jump that ship for a $400 bottle of Michter's or something.

Not to sound like a curmudgeon, although I will, but ultimately I don't think this fad of outrageous prices for upper mid-shelf bourbons (at best) is helping anyone. Not consumers, not retailers or jobbers, not the distillers, not the sellers and buyers/packagers of bulk whiskey. And it seems to be the reasonably priced mid-shelf offerings that suffer because of it - age statements being removed, various expressions discontinued, and so forth. The gallon plastic handles of 80 proof well juice, and their steady trade, don't seem to be fazed or affected.

I can buy 5 Weller 12 yr. for that price.

You're on the right track, buy the 5 Weller 12's.

Jim

The gallon plastic handles of 80 proof well juice, and their steady trade, don't seem to be fazed or affected.

I'll bet a number of the big producers would like to sell all their stuff at 4 years, 80 proof and not bother with anything else.

A year and a half ago I was able to get bottles of the 10/107 shipped from the UK and at my door for about $70 each, customs played nice and I never paid a cent in duty, I stocked up with a few bottles because, well I could, not really a fan of the stuff but they do make for a really good christmas present "where did you get this!!"

$125.:bigeyes::bigeyes:

That's a total gouging.

In ATL these bottles have run from $39.99-$49.99 although I'm sure there are some opportunistic retailers charging higher.

The whiskey is excellent IMO, esp in comparison to this years 12 yr.

I found it on the shelf in two different liquors stores this year 4 bottles total of ORVW 10/107 for $42 each - in both RI and MA. $125 is gauging pure and simple. In fact this year's ORVW is the first time I've seen a Van Winkle product actually displayed on shelves. One store had had them on the shelf for over two weeks. I wonder if they've increased the supply of the OVRW because it seems readily available this year with several stores I know getting it for the first time, and only getting that version of the Van Winkle product line.

I found it on the shelf in two different liquors stores this year 4 bottles total of ORVW 10/107 for $42 each - in both RI and MA. $125 is gauging pure and simple. In fact this year's ORVW is the first time I've seen a Van Winkle product actually displayed on shelves. One store had had them on the shelf for over two weeks. I wonder if they've increased the supply of the OVRW because it seems readily available this year with several stores I know getting it for the first time, and only getting that version of the Van Winkle product line.

They allegedly increased their supply by 25% this year. It never hit the shelves in Atlanta - it was still a behind the counter product.

Yes, $125 is way too much. That being said, I ended up buying 4 bottles this year of ORVW10 from $52-$65. I still think those are reasonable prices. Yes, a bit over retail, but still better bourbon than a lot of other $45-$80 bottles that are readily available. To me, ORVW10 will makes a memorable pour especially to share with others and close enough to barrel proof. Is it the best value on the market , probably not, but I just cut back on buying two $5 footlong Subways during that week and BAM we are at Blanton's price point (at least that's how I justify it).

Is it the best value on the market , probably not, but I just cut back on buying two $5 footlong Subways during that week and BAM we are at Blanton's price point (at least that's how I justify it).

Any time I willingly spend over the top (and by that I mean more than, say, $40) on a bottle of whiskey that I feel is worth it, I always pick up a bottle or two of VOB BIB to ameliorate the expense. It's a rare occurrance, though - I try to keep to no more than $25, so it's not like I'm swimming in VOB or something. :)

That was a smart and easy pass. ORVW10 ain't $125 great. It's not even $40 great. It's good whiskey. Too many other good ones out there to waste time and $$ on that stuff. Nice job.

That was a smart and easy pass. ORVW10 ain't $125 great. It's not even $40 great. It's good whiskey. Too many other good ones out there to waste time and $$ on that stuff. Nice job.

I think you're right on the "not even $40 great". I found one in the old style bottle for $40 and went ahead just for the sake of posterity last month...but, the contents are definitely not what they once were IMHO. I find it somewhat thin in terms of depth and uninteresting. In terms of price, I'd put it in between current OWA and Weller 12 for fair market value...but, I don'r price it...only drink it.

I happened to left my name on a store I happened to went to and got a call last week. One bottle only. And they only had received the 10yr and LotB (4 bottles total). I almost just skipped but settle for LotB at retail ($54.99) since they were nice enough to call and waited for me to call back.

The ORVW10/107, for years I had just passed on them and now this craziness. Not comprehending and not worth anything but retail at least for me.

Why should this be on allocation and such shortage all of a sudden.

Why should this be on allocation and such shortage all of a sudden.

There is supposed to be more of the 10 yr available than ever before this year. At least that's what they are saying at VW. The prices I've seen are ridiculous though. It was pretty high at $45 last year. I'm not going to pay $65 this year just for the label.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.