Elmer T Lee age?

Merrymash Monk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As ETL has been one of my staples, I've gone through quite a few bottles of it. I've also had a fair, but smaller, number of RHF bottles, and the ETL definitely has a larger range of flavors from one bottle to the next. Maybe the higher proof of RHF masks the differences more, but I just think they sell more ETL so you have more of a chance for wider bottling differences.

The best bottlings/barrels of ETL are OUTSTANDING, and one of the best buys in bourbon. Even the lesser barrels have been good, and still worth the $28 they currently sell for here. I would eagerly pay an additional $5 for a barrel selected bottle from someone who's palate I trust.

Yes, I agree, the lower volume of Rock Hill Farms may account for consistency. Added to that is the ETL is sweeter in flavor (Intentionally so) and they may simply have more barrels of the dryer RHF style.

Since I lean towards the sweeter side of the spectrum, I do love me some ETL. RHF is always in somewhat short supply around me, but not because it sells quickly. It shows up a few bottles at a time, and generally sits for awhile. I pass it up regularly. And I have accumulated several store select bottles of ETL right around $28, as it is one that I always want a healthy supply of on hand, and all the better with nice barrel selects.

I would have loved a bottle of barrel proof ETL . . . that should come at a discount since we save them the trouble of adding doing math and adding water :D They're welcome

Between all this talk about ETL and having some GBS ETL last night, I had to stop and pickup another bottle today

Between all this talk about ETL and having some GBS ETL last night, I had to stop and pickup another bottle today

I did the same with my local barrel select. Just a darn fine pour. I then made an ETL forgiven, as I 'accidentally' poured some Baby Saz into my ETL pour. Not bad, and it didn't cost me $50.

You sir, have explained the downside of single barrel bourbon. Give me a batch any day of the week. Although that being said, I usually prefer single barrel products because they are typically aged longer than their batched counterparts and they aim for honey barrels. Sometimes they miss, though...

So if I understand what you are saying, the answer is to buy a couple hundred cases of ELT from various locations, then blend that into small batches? We can slap some EH Taylor labels on the rejected bottles.

That GBS ETL sure is tasty I'll tell ya!

Sorry for missing this, but what does the GBS stand for?

Typically I would agree, but you're talking about the GBS crew so I'll just nod slightly and turn to leave.

Typically I would agree, but you're talking about the GBS crew so I'll just nod slightly and turn to leave.

And, that's why your call-sign in GBS is Mr. SBD...

Even though you always blamed it on Deansheen, we've always known it was you... :D

Funny, I too enjoyed some GBS ETL last night. If it's real quiet and you sip it real slow you can hear this faint sound in the distance . . .

• 8 months later...

ETL is definitely sweeter than both ER10 and RHF. Does anyone know what the "age" of RHF is?

ETL is definitely sweeter than both ER10 and RHF. Does anyone know what the "age" of RHF is?

For future reference, there is a search feature and you can type straightbourbon.com and your question into google and it will give you a number of threads where topics like this have been addressed.

As for your question, obviously with it being a single barrel product there could be a wide variety that meet the profile, but everything I've read and seen regarding RHF has suggested 8-10 years old, but this has never been verified or confirmed by BT. With BTs current "stock issues" who knows if that is the case or not.

For future reference, there is a search feature and you can type straightbourbon.com and your question into google and it will give you a number of threads where topics like this have been addressed.

As for your question, obviously with it being a single barrel product there could be a wide variety that meet the profile, but everything I've read and seen regarding RHF has suggested 8-10 years old, but this has never been verified or confirmed by BT. With BTs current "stock issues" who knows if that is the case or not.

Thanks petrel800.

ETL has been pegged at approx 9 - 14 years and RHF and ER10 close in age...what is the pecking order for selection of the BT offerings?

I believe Mr. Elmer said it was around 9 in an interview some years back.

I can confirm the 9 barrels offered to us in 2013 for our ETL selection were all 9 years old. In fact they had turned 9 that week. Obviously not all ETL offerings will be the same, but that seems to fit the idea that we've heard previously of "around" 9 years old.

RHF and ER10 close in age...what is the pecking order for selection of the BT offerings?

ER10 and RHF are not the same mash bill. You can check out the whiskey tree to see where everything falls . . .

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?15005-Whiskey-Tree/page13&p=285944#post285944

While there are several that share the "higher rye" BT mashbill, I believe all of the Blanton's is from warehouse H (the metal one). ETL and RHF are aged in the traditional "brick" warehouses and I don't think there is as much of a "pecking order" as much as there is just a taste profile for each bottling. I suspect anything of the higher rye mash bill that doesn't fit the profile is used in the different ancient age products.

I can confirm the 9 barrels offered to us in 2013 for our ETL selection were all 9 years old.

Those were barreled on 4/20 as I recall. Probably by some stoner.

My current pecking order re normally available mashbill #2 brands would start with Blanton's, then RHF followed by ETL.

I can confirm the 9 barrels offered to us in 2013 for our ETL selection were all 9 years old. In fact they had turned 9 that week. Obviously not all ETL offerings will be the same, but that seems to fit the idea that we've heard previously of "around" 9 years old.

ER10 and RHF are not the same mash bill. You can check out the whiskey tree to see where everything falls . . .

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?15005-Whiskey-Tree/page13&p=285944#post285944

While there are several that share the "higher rye" BT mashbill, I believe all of the Blanton's is from warehouse H (the metal one). ETL and RHF are aged in the traditional "brick" warehouses and I don't think there is as much of a "pecking order" as much as there is just a taste profile for each bottling. I suspect anything of the higher rye mash bill that doesn't fit the profile is used in the different ancient age products.

very helpful, thank you petrel800.

Mark

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.