Elmer T Lee age?

Merrymash Monk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Those were barreled on 4/20 as I recall. Probably by some stoner.

I wish they were all barreled by some stoner. We'd probably get the odd barrel proofer by mistake.

So, I picked up a bottle from a local (UK) retailer. I've noticed the bottle is dipped in wax and there appears to be, written in gold pen, an additional 'Elmer T Lee' name on the bottle and over the label. Is this a signed bottle and if so... do I dare open it? My last bottle (empty) was neither dipped nor had the 'signature' at the top.

Thanks!

post-10473-1448982136068_thumb.png

post-10473-1448982136068_thumb.png

That's an earlier iteration of ETL - What's in the bottle is the same profile and proof as current releases but the wax and signature set it apart as a possible collector item. The wax was notorious PITA and was dropped after only a year or two.

I know the original posters question has already been pretty much answered, but though this would be of interest as it's a direct quote from a Buffalo Trace training handout:

What makes Elmer T. Lee different from Eagle Rare?

It has no age statement and is selected by Elmer T Lee himself from a consistent range of barrels based on set standards.

I know the original posters question has already been pretty much answered, but though this would be of interest as it's a direct quote from a Buffalo Trace training handout:

What makes Elmer T. Lee different from Eagle Rare?

It has no age statement and is selected by Elmer T Lee himself from a consistent range of barrels based on set standards.

Seems strange the answer didn't include something about the two being from different mash bills...

So, I picked up a bottle from a local (UK) retailer. I've noticed the bottle is dipped in wax and there appears to be, written in gold pen, an additional 'Elmer T Lee' name on the bottle and over the label. Is this a signed bottle and if so... do I dare open it? My last bottle (empty) was neither dipped nor had the 'signature' at the top.

Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19226[/ATTACH]

They used that packaging from 1999 to 2005. It's better than the current stuff, to me. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?20596-BOTM-8-13-Elmer-T-Lee-Single-Barrel&p=360621&viewfull=1#post360621

Edit: That, and it looks like the man himself signed the bottle at the top.

Edited by smknjoe
Left out the Sig.

• 2 months later...

So I ordered a replacement bottle of ETL in order to avoid opening the older bottle for now and... I received another gold waxed, signed bottle...!

So I ordered a replacement bottle of ETL in order to avoid opening the older bottle for now and... I received another gold waxed, signed bottle...!

Your are on a roll son. Go ahead and order a case, they are semi-dusty's

They're out of stock at the moment..at $70 a bottle I'm not really in a position to obtain a case at this point... but here they are!

post-10473-14489821706107_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

You all just had to let the cat out of the bag :grin:. ETL, now $40 ($39.99 to be exact) at Binny's.

At around $28, it is not only good, it is reasonably priced. To many are going over the $50 mark.
...Seriously tasty and priced right.
...and still worth the $28 they currently sell for here. I would eagerly pay an additional $5 for a barrel selected bottle from someone who's palate I trust.
And I have accumulated several store select bottles of ETL right around $28

They're out of stock at the moment..at $70 a bottle I'm not really in a position to obtain a case at this point... but here they are!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19770[/ATTACH]

You should soak up as many of those as you can. They will be great trade bait and sentimental bait in the future. Someone must have imported a case or two and they have sat for a decade or so. May as keep them in good hands (yours :P).

Cheers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.