Angel's Envy 2013 Cask Strength

Lawdog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I looked to see if there were any threads on this so far and it did not appear so, but if I am wrong, please have a mod close this and provide me a link so I can post on it.

That said, I had been trying for 2+ years to find it when it first came out and then was sold for the first time on the market. No luck whatsoever until I obtained my Pappy allocation and I traded a generous bourbon salesman in Chitown a Pappy 15 for the chance at history.

I must tell you from my novice perspective, I have had about 60-65 bourbons (most at home or available in the SD/NE/IA markets) and found this to be the best nose of the bunch outside 4R 125th. It is that good; so full of notes and subnotes it is like hearing Hendrix for the first time, if you like his stuff. The taste, however, is one of a kind greatness, like Stagg Sr with a bit more sweetness and a titch less tanniny biteback.

Does anyone else agree with me on this, or is mine a mancrush over finding something that took too long to locate so I am overcrediting my taste buds. Please advise.

Also, I know Mr. Henderson passed away this fall and I am not sure what that bodes for AE generally or this particular miracle batch of bourbon. I hope it keeps coming at this level because it is just liquid perfection.

There is a thread which started in 2012 and carry to this year's release.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=283559

Thanks for your note. I have a bottle but have not open it yet. It will be open shortly and expect it to be very good as well.

Although we are sadden Lincoln had left us, Wes is still here and I heard he was the main person in doing the barrel selection. Perhaps Wes will be chiming in.

Cheers,

Hugh

Have not seen a peep of this one yet in my area. Spoke with a new whisky friend on the east coast last night who reports it to be "tremendous...easily one of the best of any recent cask strength offerings of any spirit". After hearing that comment, I'm pretty sure I'll be snagging one when it appears.

• 2 weeks later...

I was fortunate to get a bottle and agree that it is an extremely tasty pour. My two sons and I tasted it and are saving the rest of the bottle for special occasions. My older son tried to pair it with a few "staples" and it is insanely delicious with chocolate.

It has been spotted and captured in Knoxville. You should see it in west tennessee soon. Tim

I've not had this release, AE Cask and Rye haven't made it to GA, but I've seen nothing but glowing reviews about the latest Cask Strength release. Although, while surfing the net watching football yesterday, I came across this write up on it which I found interesting due to the fact everything thus far has been positive.

http://www.scotchandicecream.com/2013/12/31/wire-angels-envy-cask-strength-2013/

Like I said, I haven't tried it, but here is a alternative perspective. I can say, I've found the writer of that blog becoming more and more frustrated by the recent whiskey market, so YMMV I guess. None the less, I do check his blog every now and then, sometimes a different perspective is a good thing.

I enjoyed the first release when I tried it, but I didn't go through a whole bottle. Knowing how much the second release costs, and knowing that I'm not a huge fan of the normal release, this will probably be another one that I try but don't buy.

None the less, congrats on finding the bottle and I enjoyed your perspective on it. Hopefully, I'll be able to grab a glass of it somewhere at some point.

I think I read somewhere about the "invite bottle signing event" last year. Has anyone attended the bottle signing event this year? I have my card and rsvp'd for one of the events, but wonder if anyone here has attended the event since Lincoln Henderson passed? Is this something I should attend or should I just stay home with my bourbon?

Like I said, I haven't tried it, but here is a alternative perspective. I can say, I've found the writer of that blog becoming more and more frustrated by the recent whiskey market, so YMMV I guess. None the less, I do check his blog every now and then, sometimes a different perspective is a good thing.

I certainly have been more frustrated by the market in 2013 (though changing focus for 2014) but I would hands down, 100 times out of 100 trade a bottle of Cask Strength for 2 bottle of the regular stuff. My bottle was batch 2C; one can always enter an argument for variation there (and maybe the standard offering has declined). But I definitely don't think the cask strength offering is an improvement on or worth the premium when compared to the standard version.

I certainly have been more frustrated by the market in 2013 (though changing focus for 2014) but I would hands down, 100 times out of 100 trade a bottle of Cask Strength for 2 bottle of the regular stuff. My bottle was batch 2C; one can always enter an argument for variation there (and maybe the standard offering has declined). But I definitely don't think the cask strength offering is an improvement on or worth the premium when compared to the standard version.

Funny, that was my exact impression when I tasted the two SBS at WhiskyFest Chicago 2010. I'm not a fan of the regular release, but I definitely marked my preference to it over the CS version. Of course these were different batches than the ones you are referring to.

Funny, that was my exact impression when I tasted the two SBS at WhiskyFest Chicago 2010. I'm not a fan of the regular release, but I definitely marked my preference to it over the CS version. Of course these were different batches than the ones you are referring to.

Aaron, I'm sorry, I'm having an awful senior moment here. SBS?

Aaron, I'm sorry, I'm having an awful senior moment here. SBS?

Side by side.

-- Ravensfire

In addition to the proof difference, the cask strength version was finished in the port casks for much longer than the standard AE, which could help explain people's differences in preference between the two.

Duh on SBS. Thanks Ravensfire.

I will readily admit these days that I'm not sure that port and sherry finishes (especially) work for me these days, but this AECS was just misfiring on more cylinders (for me personally) than just the presence of port. But hey, I guess the fun of this is that we all like something a little different.

Palates and perspectives do indeed differ. I have enjoyed the standard bourbon and particularly some of the special blends of the standard stuff. As someone who was fortunate enough to be able to work my way through a bottle and then some of the 2012 CS I definitely find it to be well worth the additional expense for me as compared to the regular bottling and indeed as a stand alone against other bottles of a similar cost and usually with much greater age.

Having finally gotten a bottle of the 2013 CS I was able to try it SBS with the 2012 and find it to be better than the 2012 is. If I could find another 2013 at or near MSRP I would buy more as a result.

It has even greater depth and I truly enjoy that old fruit or "rancio" character it has. But I also enjoy port which may predispose me towards liking the additional time in the port pipes this edition has.

Given the delightful AE Rye rum cask finish I also look forward to what Angels Envy comes up with next!

Pulled the trigger on this as a gift for Jon for Christmas. Opened it tonight. Yuck! Don't waste your money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulled the trigger on this as a gift for Jon for Christmas. Opened it tonight. Yuck! Don't waste your money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just not worth the cost, or bad regardless?

Yikes. I enjoy the AE Rye, and can sometimes enjoy the regular AE. No way would I take the chance on such a spend. Passed up a few leading into the holidays, glad I did.

Picked up a bottle at Binnys in Chicago...very excited to try it tonight. Also signed up for the event on 2/5/14...not sure I'll bring my bottle as it may well be empty by that point depending how good it is. FYI, paid $159.99 which is definitely a little more than I'm used to paying.

Bad regardless!

I suppose it again goes to show that palates and preferences differ! I thought it was excellent and even better than the 2012 CS as I noted above.

Did you try/like the 2012 CS?

I've not had this release, AE Cask and Rye haven't made it to GA, but I've seen nothing but glowing reviews about the latest Cask Strength release. Although, while surfing the net watching football yesterday, I came across this write up on it which I found interesting due to the fact everything thus far has been positive.

http://www.scotchandicecream.com/2013/12/31/wire-angels-envy-cask-strength-2013/

I enjoyed the first release when I tried it, but I didn't go through a whole bottle. Knowing how much the second release costs, and knowing that I'm not a huge fan of the normal release, this will probably be another one that I try but don't buy.

None the less, congrats on finding the bottle and I enjoyed your perspective on it. Hopefully, I'll be able to grab a glass of it somewhere at some point.

Thanks for that link. It is helping my fever subside -- after spotting an ad for this bottling on Facebook.

I'm now less than a month away from being allowed to consume small amounts of alcohol. I'll be sticking to the tried and true for a while. Perhaps quite a while. :grin:

BTW on my own scale I now weigh 195 lbs, down from 298 as of 1.15.13. I'm gradually transitioning off the Ideal Protein products back to real food.

• 3 months later...

I am a newbie, so take this for what it's worth, but I absolutely love this stuff. I love the sweetness from the port casks, speaks to my wicked sweet tooth.

For anyone in the Houston area interested, Costco liquors (on Richmond and on the Katy fwy) seems to have a bottle of this occasionally for $150.

• 1 month later...

$150 is not out of my price range but for a single bottle it's out of my interest, would rather get a few others bottles..but I'm sure it's good stuff and I'd like to sample a glass in the future..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.