What Bourbon did you purchase today? Winter '13-'14

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Stopped at a place i don't frequent too much in town, and picked up the last VROHH 8/86 for $12.99 plus tax that was on the shelf.

Crying shame it's been discontinued. Truly, the good ole days are gone.......

B

This article suggests it is a craft distilled 3yo bourbon from Washington State with a possibly higher rye but undisclosed mashbill rather than sourced and was aged in smaller barrels. Beyond that can't tell you much!

the distillery website is either not working or I can't get to it from work.

Thanx for the link, Bruce. (I did also go to their website... It didn't offer much info.) I have by now opened and am doing a preliminary tasting as I type. This is one of the better (dare I say; the best?) craft-distilled/aged Bourbons I've tried. By a goodly margin. It is indeed rye forward, with a decently long finish, although I wouldn't describe it as mellow or anything. It is pretty good Bourbon for any craft house, in fact I'd say it compares favorably with many offerings from the larger distilleries, using full-size barrels. That, in itself is pretty unique. All the previous examples of 'small-barrel-aged' Bourbon from craft houses I've ever tried were; shall we say.......Lousy. I'm not sure it would compare too well with some others in the price range ($40 for a 750) that one could buy. Taste being unique to every individual, many might disagree with me; but I'm not sorry I bought it, and am even enjoying it pretty darn well. :grin:

Picked up a RR single barrel for $41; good pour for the price at 110 proof and non chill filtered.

Struck out on my search for Weller 12 so far, but I did pick up an NAS BMH for a friend.

What follows is my story about why I am currently eating crow regarding Barterhouse:

I stopped off at a local place near my parents' house and saw they had Barterhouse. Got to talking to the store owner about it, and I showed him the bottling numbers proving that Barterhouse wasn't quite as rare as Diageo was making it out to be. That was assisted by the fact that the store happened to be carrying a bottle numbered in the mid 44 thousands. I explained that the current rumor is that all the orphan barrel releases may have been bottled at the same time, but we agreed that 45k+ is still quite a lot. I told him it was 2nd old bernheim distillery juice, etc. Anyway, on top of letting me sample his store selection of 10 yr 11mo OBSV 4RSB @ 57.1%, he also let me try his selection for Dickel 9 (which tasted like someone mixed sugar and yeast with jack daniels, maybe I should have had a sip of water after the OBSV). Anyway, we BSed a bit more and I went to buy the B1/12 Redbreast CS he had sitting on his shelf not intending to buy the Barterhouse, but he offered to sell me the Barterhouse @ 20% off + threw in some Miller marked tumblers for free as a thank you for keeping from feeding his other customers the BS line his distributor gave him about the Orphan Barrel project. I have literally vowed elsewhere on SB that I would not buy any of the Orphan Barrel bourbons, but I just couldn't turn down the offer this store owner made me. Too nice of a gesture. Still irritated with Diageo though.

Edited by garbanzobean

Eric,

If it makes you feel any better, I've now got a bottle of both Barterhouse and Old Blowhard.

I had no intentions of buying Old Blowhard, but when I went to get the Booker's 25th that was being held for me, the guy offered me the Old blowhard for $129.00

turned into an expensive day for me, as I ended up getting two Booker's 25th.

So, today's haul in total was:

Old Blowhard

Booker's 25th (X2)

2013 George T Stagg (in a trade)

Plus, a sample of Elijah Craig 21 Yr.

Almost stopped on the way home for a bottle of Green spot, but figured I'd spent way too much already.

I also noticed my local store fully stocked of OWA. Still no standard BT which has been vacant for months, so I switched to ER10 and have been happier anyways for same price.

I know there is a lot of comparison back and forth between BT and ER10. It has been a while since I have the standard version of either. Not that I am special but I have been fortunate enough to find store select versions fairly easily recently. (Note: three consecutive words ending in "ly" should win me a prize or something.). I generally find store select versions of ER10 to be better than store select versions of BT and worth the extra $5 -$10.

Struck out on my search for Weller 12 so far, but I did pick up an NAS BMH for a friend.

What follows is my story about why I am currently eating crow regarding Barterhouse:

I stopped off at a local place near my parents' house and saw they had Barterhouse. Got to talking to the store owner about it, and I showed him the bottling numbers proving that Barterhouse wasn't quite as rare as Diageo was making it out to be. That was assisted by the fact that the store happened to be carrying a bottle numbered in the mid 44 thousands. I explained that the current rumor is that all the orphan barrel releases may have been bottled at the same time, but we agreed that 45k+ is still quite a lot. I told him it was 2nd old bernheim distillery juice, etc. Anyway, on top of letting me sample his store selection of 10 yr 11mo OBSV 4RSB @ 57.1%, he also let me try his selection for Dickel 9 (which tasted like someone mixed sugar and yeast with jack daniels, maybe I should have had a sip of water after the OBSV). Anyway, we BSed a bit more and I went to buy the B1/12 Redbreast CS he had sitting on his shelf not intending to buy the Barterhouse, but he offered to sell me the Barterhouse @ 20% off + threw in some Miller marked tumblers for free as a thank you for keeping from feeding his other customers the BS line his distributor gave him about the Orphan Barrel project. I have literally vowed elsewhere on SB that I would not buy any of the Orphan Barrel bourbons, but I just couldn't turn down the offer this store owner made me. Too nice of a gesture. Still irritated with Diageo though.

Eric - Great story! Learning and sharing with people is what makes SB and this hobby fun! You ended up getting to try something that you might otherwise not have and saved some money. Besides, you probably made another friend. Good experience all around.

Grabbed a bottle of Eagle Rare for $21 - too hard to pass over. Also they had the family size of Old Forrester for $18...I just wasn't in the mood for that kind of commitment.

FRYL @ $16.99 - if this was available at 90 proof or as BIB I honestly think I wouldn't buy anything else ...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!