What Bourbon did you purchase today? Winter '13-'14

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Winter Drinking Thread was started, but not the Purchased, so I'll start it now.

I couldn't resist when I got the call and went for a Pappy 15. Picked it up today with the Fireball, which is like drinking Red Hots candy.

Also picked up my HHSS SB bottles. I also recommended 4R Sm B to a customer wandering the Bourbon aisle; he seemed to appreciate the advice and I'm pretty sure he bought it.

Here's the BT buffalo watching my Pappy 15 while waiting for Joe to bring my HHSS.

5f42474e-0eeb-481e-81e7-97363abca868_zps2a51214e.jpg

d597e420-4a58-43c8-af41-084eb04b279e_zps2809eae0.jpg

cc9600c0-884b-4ac8-8982-8429eadafb5d_zpse7be3589.jpg

Edited by bigtoys

Did a little 'dusty hunting' with my son, Gary today. I managed a few slightly aged Old Foresters, and one handle of OF that seems to be from mid-to-late-eighties (tax stamp, no gov't warning) along with a WT-101 that Gary thinks may be from the early 2000's ('01-'04?). He picked up a WT-101 that's a little older.

Was some fun, and worth the effort, especially since it was some time we were able to spend together, "just the guys". :slappin:

Whenever I open the 'handle' I'll post about how it is.

i still consider myself pretty new to bourbon all together. i have found some great bottles throughout these 10 or so months. so today i found my first ever PAPPY VAN WINKLE! 15 year nevertheless, the one i really desired. maybe because its the only one ive ever tasted due to all the built up hype ive heard about the 20 or 23. i still feel numb!!! is this normal??? some thoughts on when you've found that "special bottle"...?

What are the details of HHSS? I've never seen or heard of it. A dusty, or something new? Cost? Tasting opinions?

Happy Holidays!

i still consider myself pretty new to bourbon all together. i have found some great bottles throughout these 10 or so months. so today i found my first ever PAPPY VAN WINKLE! 15 year nevertheless, the one i really desired. maybe because its the only one ive ever tasted due to all the built up hype ive heard about the 20 or 23. i still feel numb!!! is this normal??? some thoughts on when you've found that "special bottle"...?

I remember my first pappy.

3x ECBP 133.2

PHC 6th batch 1 - thanks to a very kind SB.com member

Abraham Bowman Pioneer Spirit 147.5 hazmat (if only to say I tried it, then pass off to "friends" if it is unfavorable :) ) - also thanks to a SB.com member

3x ECBP 133.2

PHC 6th batch 1 - thanks to a very kind SB.com member

Abraham Bowman Pioneer Spirit 147.5 hazmat (if only to say I tried it, then pass off to "friends" if it is unfavorable :) ) - also thanks to a SB.com member

What are the details of HHSS? I've never seen or heard of it. A dusty, or something new? Cost? Tasting opinions?

Happy Holidays!

The label for this popped up and was discussed like a year ago. It's "Heaven Hill Select Stock" and was speculated to be a private barrel program from Heaven Hill.

Now the interesting part is that the label on the side seems to say this was privately selected for Straight Bourbon (it's a small blurry photo so maybe I'm wrong). Did some members get together and pick this?

Old Scout 92 Single Barrel. One left on the shelf - maybe the only one that was ever there? I've never seen it anywhere else.

I do believe that's something brand new that they're rolling out. It was talked about when we were up there recently. Josh may remember more.

Found a handle of age stated WSR yesterday. Take that, Barton!

Whenever I open the 'handle' I'll post about how it is.

I am surprised that you guys didn't open it in the parking lot! :lol:

I do believe that's something brand new that they're rolling out. It was talked about when we were up there recently. Josh may remember more.

I remember my first pappy.

As do I. I still remember where it was sitting on the shelf and that my fiancé had to twist my arm/force me to fork out $52 to buy it. Hindsight!

I actually still have the bottle, an unopened Pappy 15 from 2008.

Several bottles of a local store pick of EWSB 2013. Seems to be a good barrel and I already had some labels made up on the Bardstown Whiskey Society webpage to go on EWSB 2013 bottles as gifts. Since I know this barrel is good I don't have to worry about which barrel to get! But it has sold quickly and there were only a few bottles left!

Edited by tanstaafl2

A couple more VOB BIBs. Gonna have to hope 9x 750 and 1x 1.75 tides me over forever. I'm done rewarding Sazerac.

Another FRSmB 2013 - BAM again!

20131224_165234.jpg

Was not sure I would find another one, I think my guy was holding out and trying to make money, said he had just sold another bottle for $150. He wanted a $100 from me, I said how about $90 and we crack it and have a taste now. He also said there were only 10 cases that made it to Michigan, would like to confirm that if possible.

Best regards, Tony

Happy Holidays!

I think that deserves a dedicated thread in the premium section.

Edited by MauiSon

Someone thought the Van Winkle raffle at one of my local stores was for a free bottle. They declined when they found out they still had to pay. On the redraw I hit on a ORVW 10/107.

Old Scout 92 Single Barrel. One left on the shelf - maybe the only one that was ever there? I've never seen it anywhere else.

I picked one of these up at Ray's in Milwaukee this fall. Barrel proof right? I enjoy it a lot. I was told the distributor did a barrel purchase. Nice chocolate and tobacco finish.

122.8 proof, aged 8yrs, right? Bought 1 at a store in Beloit, WI. Last I saw a few weeks ago they still had plenty

122.8 proof, aged 8yrs, right? Bought 1 at a store in Beloit, WI. Last I saw a few weeks ago they still had plenty

That the one, same proof. Have you tried it yet? I thought it was well worth the $45 I paid. If Wisconsin shipped to Iowa I would probably get another.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!