BOTM 1/14: Colonel E H Taylor Small Batch

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nose: It smells like my colleague's 1970s wood condo in Lake Tahoe, the kind that is still decorated with the original orange and avocado colored appliances.

Taste: It has a quick, sweet start then BOOMEXPLOSION. After that, it mellows for a second and tastes like a cabinet.

Finish: That cabinet is subsequently lit on fire and smolders in your throat.

Overall: This bourbon uses your uvula like a punching speedbag. If that's your thing, you'll like it. I didn't, but one of the other TWS SelectLadiesTM did.

You should post tasting notes more often.

Ok.. I opened my first bottle of the Small Batch last night.. It was rather hard for me to give an honest opinion then as I had downed some Weller Antique.. So tonight I poured a nice size pour and then took my time. I liked the drink very well.. Not a lot of burn.. Went donw nice and smooth for my taste.. I then added and ice cube and it did allow more of the flavors to come out.. Overall a very nice Bourbon for the price and one I will buy again..

I bought one when it first came out, and did some SBSs vs the CEHT Single Barrel. Both pretty tasty, iirc, and I believe that I actually preferred the SmB, even without taking price into consideration (although I much preferred both the CEHT Barrel Proof and the Tornado to either SmB or Single Barrel). The SmB is one that I *would* buy again; however, on last night's Weller & Wine run, I paused by the CEHT section, and noticed a pronounced gap between the multiple CEHT Ryes and the CEHT Single Barrels: the SmB had been cleaned out! The dreaded "SB BOTM Effect," I suppose.

I just discovered this bourbon a month or two ago and really enjoy it. I was intrigued with the other options in the Taylor line until I saw the prices and "settled" for the small batch. I'll probably buy it again once this bottle runs dry.

This is one I've enjoyed and am on my second bottle. On the nose, I get an initial hit of alcohol and that fruity BT rye with an undercurrent of caramel and a little peppery character. Most of that carries through on the palate, though the caramel steps forward a bit. The fruity element on the nose is more berry, but on the palate it's more date. I pick up some oak in the mid-palate but it's not overly woody. The peppery element from the nose is missing on the palate but returns on the finish, which is a bit more bitter than I would prefer but it's not unpleasant. To me, this is very good and similar to some of the good private barrels of BT I've had. If I had more access to those, those would be more appealing due to the price differential but I don't know of anyone in this area doing barrel picks. That said, I can see a third bottle of this in my future.

I finally had a bottle of this a few months ago. It's been too long to give any indepth tasting notes, but I do remember getting an overwhelming cinnamon red hot profile on the mid palate that seemed to drown out any of the more subtle fruity or sweet notes. At first I didn't care for it, but by the end of the bottle I had a certain appreciation for it. I just picked up a bottle of the single barrel for the first time and it seems much better balanced to me. I still get the cinnamon, but it's kept in check and you can really tast the sweeter notes; honey, caramel, burnt sugar. It has a nice, buttery texture that I'm really enjoying.

Finnaly picked a bottle of this up tonight. I'll have a sip tonight, and one more tomorrow. Then write up something about it.

Hey, finally I can particapate in a BOTM! Yay!

Bought this in 2012 for $36; my immediate impressions was that it had a lot of orange nougat and was fairly easy drinking as a sipper but focused too much on the mid-range and sweet notes without enough bottom end. At the time I compared it to the 2012 OFBB, as both are citrusy, and preferred the OFBB as having greater oomph and complexity. Finally returning to this bottle, thanks to BOTM, I have been surprised at how much I am liking it. Seems to have more wood and grip than I recall, and performs marvelously in a strongly proportioned sour old fashioned. Has my respect now, certainly, and even has me wishing I had picked up a second bottle (there might be some around but I seem to recall the local shop increased the price steeply, to the same level as the other EHTs, which hopefully is just an error).

Acutally my paranoia has started kicking in and I've started bunkering all the CETH as my wallet allows because the price is not going to be lower anytime in the near future.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up another bottle of this today and when I got home I remembered why I don't buy it more often. That damn packaging. And I'm not talking about the cardboard condom it comes in, but that sticker strip across the top. I have to get out the Goof Off to get it clean after peeling it off. (yes, I'm anal about my bottles being clean of all those extraneous stickers.)

Acutally my paranoia has started kicking in and I've started bunkering all the CETH as my wallet allows because the price is not going to be lower anytime in the near future.

• 1 month later...
I finally found a bottle of CEHT small batch during a visit to my folk's place down in Charlotte. This stuff is hard to come by in NC; after seeing Tunnels post maybe I should have gotten all I could see on the shelf. $40/bottle for small batch, $70 for the rye, so the rye stayed on their shelf.

I actually bought 11 bottles of the Tornado when it came out at $80 a bottle, I liked it that much. My wife complained a lot. I have seen it offered at $800 a bottle now! So who is complaining now. My wife. Why am I not selling the 9 bottles I have left at that price? You can't win.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just picked up a bottle of the small batch, and found it very good. Now, I cannot give you all the different smells or the nuances of taste. I can only tell you if I liked it or not.

I did find it a little hot, but I also took into consideration that it is 100 proof.

When I first smelled it I admit is smelled differently than I expected. It doesn't have that typical bourbon smell I expected.

I tasted it neat and found it a little hot on the front with a nice warm finish. I did note the taste of the char at the end.

I then put some on the rocks, my preferred way of drinking bourbon. I found it to be a very enjoyable pour, and look forward to enjoying it over the coming weeks.

37 minutes ago, whiskey buyer said:

I then put some on the rocks, my preferred way of drinking bourbon. I found it to be a very enjoyable pour, and look forward to enjoying it over the coming weeks.

Welll, then!   Enjoy any/all of your drams in the manner that gives you the best experience, at the time you enjoy 'em. 

If that means mostly 'on the rox', or icy cold but neat, or warm and straight, or mixed with Mountain Dew.... doesn't matter!

What matters is your experience, at the time you're enjoying the pour.   Others may tell you there's a 'preferred' way to taste Bourbon, or a 'right way' to do it, or a 'wrong way'.   All that is Bullshit!

If you've found a way that gives you the best experience in the moment; then, that's the way for you to do it, at that moment.   Have at it, my friend!

20 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Welll, then!   Enjoy any/all of your drams in the manner that gives you the best experience, at the time you enjoy 'em. 

If that means mostly 'on the rox', or icy cold but neat, or warm and straight, or mixed with Mountain Dew.... doesn't matter!

What matters is your experience, at the time you're enjoying the pour.   Others may tell you there's a 'preferred' way to taste Bourbon, or a 'right way' to do it, or a 'wrong way'.   All that is Bullshit!

If you've found a way that gives you the best experience in the moment; then, that's the way for you to do it, at that moment.   Have at it, my friend!

I've heard that Jimmy Russell said he prefers his bourbon with ice because it makes the ice taste better.

10 hours ago, flahute said:

I've heard that Jimmy Russell said he prefers his bourbon with ice because it makes the ice taste better.

HA!    Flahute, I can't dispute Jimmie's call on that; nor would I presume to do so.   I do agree, in fact.    I'd even go so far as to say Bourbon makes darned near anything taste better.

16 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

You lost me at mixed with Moutain Dew, Rich...if a mostly or 'preferred way'  <_<.

7 hours ago, T Comp said:

You lost me at mixed with Moutain Dew, Rich...if a mostly or 'preferred way'  <_<.

Don't y'all mix yer George T. Stagg with Mountain Dew?????    I was told that was expected due to the high proof.   NO?

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:48 PM, Richnimrod said:

I made a mint julip with it last night, and really enjoyed it.

I bought a bottle of JDSB Barrel Proof recently because I wanted to try it, but also because a friend, who is a JD fan, was coming over and I wanted him to be able to try it. I poured us each a glass and we had a few sips over the course of conversation, then he leaned over and asked sheepishly, "Could I get some ice for this? It's how I usually drink it." I told him he should have asked for it up front and to ALWAYS drink it how you like it! I commend people for stepping outside their comfort zones but never condemn them for drinking whiskey the way they like it!

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.