80 proofers

TheNovaMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As some of you know, I used to drink Ten High regularly when it was straight, so I think it's fair to say I've never had anything against 80 proof bourbons. However, I was looking at my selection of bourbons and the MI liquor list, and I can't think of a currently available bourbon of 80 proof that I like much or even think I would like. Are there any 80 proof bourbons left worth buying and drinking? Maybe Henry McKenna?

Ah yes, I've heard that too, but OGD BIB is only 33 cents more so I've always grabbed that instead.

Nova, get the Yellow Label and mix it with the OGD BIB @ 50/50. The blend is greater than the sum of the parts (and both parts are GOOD).

I don't reach for 80 proof Bourbon as a first choice but of the brands available locally I would choose Benchmark.

I do like Basil Hayden, just not the price. FR Yellow label is good. The only other 80 proofers in my cabinet are Japanese whiskeys. Proof is almost like age statement to me in that I ultimately don't care so long as it tastes good to me, there just aren't THAT many 80 proofers that I enjoy neat. EWSB is the lowest proof bourbon that I have regularly.

My first experience with FR yellow was a few years ago as a scotch drinker and what blew me away, for want of a better word, was the smoothness, i had always taken bourbon on ice and this made me think differently. Havent had it in a while.

FRYL would likely be the only thing I buy, and while it is a nice enough pour - if something else is around (like Fighting Cock 103, 6 yr) for nearly the same price, the FRYL loses out. Although . . . now I need to pick one up to try the mingle black mamba mentioned! :D

When BF reintroduced the Early Times Bourbon (bourbon not just whiskey) I was curious. I found it to have good flavor and texture, considering young and 80 proof. It had some of the taste I like from the discontinued Old Forester BIB. It's been several years since I had any of the 80 proof McKenna. I remember it as ok, nothing stands out. I'm a big fan of the McKenna BIB.

I dont like 80's either. I had said I refused to buy anything below 90, but took the challenge from some of the guys on here and started going below that and did find some things in the 90's that I do like. So now, I say I wont go below 90.

I have one friend who only keeps regular Early Times and OF 86 around, and I find both so bland i just dont see the point.

I second the Benchmark... that's the closest thing to "good" I've had at 80 proof. It has a little bit of that BT spice....

But the price jumped $6 per handle making it $18-19, which makes it more expensive than EWB, which is obviously 86 proof (for now).

I don't get how a lot of these bottom shelfers survive while being more expensive than a (relatively) high quality EWB.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I recently picked up some FRYL, and while it has those classic 4R notes, it seems bit thin for me. Tasty, but leaves me longing for SB or 1B.

I actually used FRYL in my latest batch of barrel aged manhattans, and my last taste had me thinking I may need to add something with some proof to give a bit of bite. Now that I see the FRYL and OGD mix, it has me thinking.

Here Benchmark is considerably cheaper than EWB and if it wasn't I wouldn't consider it. For me the 80 proof range is for mixing, cooking and general around the house use but it must be budget priced to justify its purchase.

The only time I choose to pour a 80 proof neat is when I'm traveling and find myself at a bar with very limited options. Wild Turkey 81 is the one I go with.

I should've mentioned Beam Rye in this category. Well made and versatile, it's just a bit overpriced.

FRYL is good although it suffers in the shadows of it older brothers. Dickel 8 is decent enough, as is Jack Daniels for that matter, though overpriced. I just went through my mental list and I guess those are pretty much the extent of it for me.

I cannot work up any enthusiasm for standard Beam white. It is certainly well made, just a generic white bread sort of product.

FRYL and Jack are the only 80 proofers I ever have on my bar. While both are great pours - there is so much else out there that I tend to not reach for them on a regular basis.

I like some in the 80s but not certain that I would reach for an 80 proofer as a first choice. Of course, at 86 proof, I would pick up AAA10 or OC10 easily. I would also like AE.

I don't care for 80 proofers. I'm also in the minority when it comes to FRYL. I think it is highly overrated. It is thin, boring and just not good, IMO.

Before I really got into bourbon, George Dickel No. 8 was my everyday drink. I still think it's good, but it's pretty easy to find a more interesting bourbon on the shelf.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.