80 proofers

TheNovaMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Squire, if I was a fan of the BT profile, Benchmark would probably be my everyday, general purpose bourbon. Unfortunately for me, that is not the case, and I find something fairly similarly objectionable in Early Times.

Also, perhaps I should clarify that I'm talking about bourbons that are 80 proof, meaning the integer between 79 and 81. Stuff that's 81 proof can reasonably be included in this thread, but once we start getting up to 86 proof like EWB, that's a different animal IMHO.

4RYL is the only 80 that I really like burt at this time I don't have any on the bar or the bunker and passed by it after some thought yesterday.

Hhhmm. I learned something today. I saw the thread title & just assumed I had 80s around for casual use. Turns out only my mixing ryes (OO & JBY) & my one JD bottle are 80s. My mixer bourbon is EWB @ 86, and my pedestrian sippers are BT & Bulliet @ 90. Thanks for making me notice.

Added: Well, some of my gins are 80s but they don't count.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

My gin is all 94 but I only buy the one brand. In doing some checking around I was surprised to find 80 proofers price edging close to Evan Williams Black. Benchmark is up 20-25% in some places so apparently BT/Saz intends to shift it out of the bargain class.

My gin is all 94 but I only buy the one brand. In doing some checking around I was surprised to find 80 proofers price edging close to Evan Williams Black. Benchmark is up 20-25% in some places so apparently BT/Saz intends to shift it out of the bargain class.

HH has been siphoning off customers from others for years with that brand so I think they will continue to play that hand.

HH has been siphoning off customers from others for years with that brand so I think they will continue to play that hand.
FWIW, they got to me years go with it. Was someplace where they ran out of JD, and the bartender gave me EWB neat to try. End of story.

My favorite 80 proofer is I. W. Harper BHC 15 year old. Outstanding bourbon. Unfortunately it is no longer available.

When I want the lower proof, I rarely find myself reaching for bourbon - I'm usually grabbing the Scotch/Irish or in warmer months, tequila. Below 86, bourbon seems to wash out quicker to me than Scotch/Irish. I don't know why this is, but the single malts seem to take water better than bourbon at the lower proofs. Bourbon seems to be more drinkable at the higher proofs than Scotch - I seem to always add water to CS single malt where that is not always the case with bourbon.

Edited by sutton

That's comforting then. I know I've been on a EWB rampage here lately... just can't get over the QPR. It'll definitely hurt if that brand starts to suffer like so many other value pours have.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

The only 80-proofers I find myself returning to are dusties. The lower entry proof in the past seems to have made for a tastier pour even at lower proof.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The 80 pf Old Taylor I bought about 6 mo. ago is pretty tasty, especially for $8.99 a fifth. Still AS at 6 yrs as well.

It's interesting you should mention that because I looked at a bottle today. If it's 6YO and BT bought the brand and barrels in 2009, that means it's still Beam juice, right? It's kind of a bummer that it's $11.99 here, but it might be worth a try.

People here tend to dislike it but I don't mind it.

Definitely tastes like Beam. Its better than white label IMO, not that that's saying much. I'd like to taste it SBS Beam Green.

I like a number of 80-proofers. No, they are not as robust or flavorful as BIB and cask strength pours I have, but I do enjoy them for what they bring to the table....I do find their subtle softness and sweetness attractive from time to time.

I agree with many others that FRYL and JD are fine pours at 80 proof. I recently bought a McKenna 80 proof a few weeks ago, and the first two pours I had were very good, although I haven't put it up against the FRYL and JD yet.

So I was at the liquor store on Saturday and stared at the Benchmark 1.75L on sale for $12.12! I mean I HAD to buy it just to test it out. I have to agree that at 80 proof mixing it with ginger ale was quite good. I think I scored the deal of the century. I will certainly buy more. Hail to BT and their plastic jugs!!

Benchmark is a real sleeper and quite a deal when it goes on sale. A younger, lower proof version of the regular Buffalo Trace, Benchmark is quite versatile and my personal choice in the no frills category. So long as it's cheap of course, in the markets where it's priced equal to EWB it's simply not worth it.

Benchmark is a real sleeper and quite a deal when it goes on sale. A younger, lower proof version of the regular Buffalo Trace, Benchmark is quite versatile and my personal choice in the no frills category. So long as it's cheap of course, in the markets where it's priced equal to EWB it's simply not worth it.

Dead on, Squire.

I believe it could have been you, several years ago that suggested Benchmark when I asked for even cheaper alternatives to Buffalo Trace... and you nailed it.

Back when it was even cheaper than EWB ($12 per handle) it was a fun deal... I got the general profile of BT, just younger and rougher (and lighter). But there was SOMETHING there to enjoy, and I felt like I was getting away with something the general public would never know about (given the price and plastic bottle). The best bottle I had actually had ample vanilla to go with the spice... it was a real treat at that price range.

But alas, it's now jumped over EWB in price... to a whopping $18.99 per handle (I say that half-jokingly). While obviously cheap for a handle of straight bourbon, it just isn't worth it compared to EWB... or a 750ml bottle of 103 proof Fighting Cock for $16, etc.

I also tend to overlook the 80's and prefer the bib and higher stuff, but bh isn't bad,but as mentioned prior the price is, a few others that come to mind that are tolerable is the OC8, Ot 6, more for when I want a mixer or for guests,but one that does stand out for me and is always on the top for pours are my recent find of 1970 etksb ,this stuff is really good. Smooth, some complexity though not much .. but very tasty.

Presumably that acronym stands for Early Times Straight Bourbon. A bottle distilled in 1970 is a find because the mash bill used then made a richer whisky than the one being made today.

Yes, squire that is indeed what it stands for... Got 6 quarts for $10 ea. @ an auction ,of course 1 went to my drink'n bud,(I'm always takin care of that guy)but I find myself wanting that more often than not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.