Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We don't seem to have a similar thread to the bourbon section for this but I thought it might be useful to get opinions in case I need to go back and get something!

Last night it was a Longrow CV that I passed on that looked a bit on the dusty side although no clear indication how long it had been there. Reportedly a blend of 6, 10 and 14yo whiskey. A bit pricey at around $70 I think but I forgot to get a picture to help me remember. I see it at Binny's for $50 with very limited availability and K&L at $57 but out of stock not that either helps me much since they can't ship to Atlanta.

Some discussion of it on various sites including a post on WA from 2008 but not a lot of detail.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2008/02/03/new-release-longrow-cv/

Any opinions? I don't typically see a lot of Longrow in this area so was a bit intrigued.

I like Longrow CV more than Springbank CV. That said, the age stated Longrows, while more expensive, have been more interesting to me than the CV.

We don't seem to have a similar thread to the bourbon section for this but I thought it might be useful to get opinions in case I need to go back and get something!

Last night it was a Longrow CV that I passed on that looked a bit on the dusty side although no clear indication how long it had been there. Reportedly a blend of 6, 10 and 14yo whiskey. A bit pricey at around $70 I think but I forgot to get a picture to help me remember. I see it at Binny's for $50 with very limited availability and K&L at $57 but out of stock not that either helps me much since they can't ship to Atlanta.

Some discussion of it on various sites including a post on WA from 2008 but not a lot of detail.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2008/02/03/new-release-longrow-cv/

Any opinions? I don't typically see a lot of Longrow in this area so was a bit intrigued.

I luuuuuuurve me some Longrow, though I've never actually had the CV. I believe it has a reputation for being quite the firecracker, perhaps owing to the younger whiskies in the mix. I'm a huge fan of the 10/100 and some of the vintage 10yos, as well as some of the CS releases, namely the 11yo refill sherry and the seemingly gone 7yo Gaja Barolo.

Not sure what to tell you on the CV, but if you're interested in Longrow your timing might be good right about now. I've definitely noticed that Springbank's general pricing is on the rise too. There's been plenty of Springbank/Longrow whisky available around here for <$100, but I don't think that will be the case for much longer.

Delving back through the pictures on my phone (some people have pictures of kids, family, pets even. I have 1000 pictures of booze!) I came upon another picture from my recent foray into Honolulu liquor stores that I had forgotten about. I was surprised to see a relatively high end selection of scotch, and in particular these Bruichladdich options, in a little store in the islands.

post-8493-14489820328611_thumb.jpg

The one on the right tucked back a bit out of sight was the 22yo Black Arts 3. The others that are hard to read appear to be the Cuvee 382, 407 and 640. Was tempted but manged to hold off not knowing enough about them to make such an investment. Still, it seemed like a most unexpected find!

post-8493-14489820328611_thumb.jpg

Aberlour A'bunadh @$62. Mostly I was shocked how much cheaper than the usual $75-90 range in Louisville.

Not happy with myself. I'm a big fan of Redbreast 15 and had been putting off buying more at a local store where it's been $59.99 for ages. Stopped in last night and it's gone up to $79.99. The price stickers on the shelves of this store are dated to show when they've been changed and this one was dated 1/11/14. Damn, missed by 3 days.

Passed up Lagavulin 16 at $99.99...same place where it was $89.99 last month. Moving on down the boulevard to the next store on my 'hit' list for the day, where I found it to be $109.99 :hot:

Think I'll check out some online stores where I've seen it still in the $70s...maybe I'll stop wasting gas on these ventures and do more online business. :rolleyes:

Finally saw some Ron Burgundy scotch on the shelf this weekend. While they did a nice job on the bottle and label, I passed - even at the low, low price of $24.99...

After looking at it for a while, I passed on Old Pulteney 21. The only reason was that I had bought a bottle of Springbank 15 about 10 minutes earlier.

Passed on Ardbog, $95.99....not so much on the price, but already got some at home.

Sign said Ardbeg 10 for $60 but the box was Oogie. I can get the Oogie for less so I left it.

Oogie for less than $60 nowadays, must be nice...picked up a bottle at the 15% off Binny's sale last weekend for $59.49, normally $69.99. The ten is $49.99 unless you happen to wander into an old beat up off the path place and score a couple for $39 plus the bonus of having Brown-Forman on the label and L3 at the start of the bottling code :cool:.

Talisker Storm at $91.99. I'm not impressed nor too pleased with the first (and perhaps only) one I got last year at a markdown sale price of $66.99. Not sure this will not go the route of Laphroaig 18...discounts ahead. :skep:

Hidden

Once again, but now at the highest price I've seen yet, PHC Promise of Hope @ $120. Seems a good many good hearted folk were willing to reach for it at $80-100 but this is way out of line IMHO.

I passed up a bottle of Gordon & Macphail's Highland Park 24 @ $150. I normally would have trouble passing that up, but the hitch for me was the relatively anemic 43% abv bottling strength. Anyone had this particular bottling?

I think Party Source has it in stock in case anyone wants more details:

https://www.thepartysource.com/express/item.php?id=30586

Saw a Rosebank 1991 13yo cask strength from G&M today and gave some thought to taking it home. Held off for the moment but might be my best chance to try this distillery for under $100. Although not much under $100 which is a lot for a 13yo. Although it is cask strength which helps!

Anybody tried this one?

Saw a Rosebank 1991 13yo cask strength from G&M today and gave some thought to taking it home. Held off for the moment but might be my best chance to try this distillery for under $100. Although not much under $100 which is a lot for a 13yo. Although it is cask strength which helps!

Anybody tried this one?

Not that particular bottling but I've generally been underwhelmed by Rosebank over the last 10-12 years. My personal feeling is that the love is coming more from the fact it's a closed distillery more than that the distillate is the cat's meow. Just my opinion...which is worth significantly less than that bottle of Rosebank.

I passed up a few Glenrothes' bottlings that were laid down in the mid 1980s (84, 85, and 87 I THINK) and bottled in 2002. All were between $100-$150.

Brora 12th in-store. Just no way I could justify the expense, but holy shit did I want it.

I also passed on the newest Lagavulin 12 year but if it sits there until my next visit, one's probably coming home with me.

Brora 12th in-store. Just no way I could justify the expense, but holy shit did I want it.

I also passed on the newest Lagavulin 12 year but if it sits there until my next visit, one's probably coming home with me.

How many PMs did you get about the Brora after posting this?

Springbank 25 bottled in the 1990's with metallic silver box. Based on what I can find online, the juice in this type of packaging was distilled in the 1960's or early 1970's. Don't remember the price, but it was around $500.00. Very tempting and it may be in my bunker before too long because my brother and sister owe me big time for helping out with some family stuff and this bottle could be my payday.

Glenmorangie Ealanta for around $110. I'm considering it, just not sure I want to spend the money on it.

That is a good price for the Atlanta area where it seems to be more like $120 to $125. I think it is great if pricey but no guarantee you will feel the same.

That is a good price for the Atlanta area where it seems to be more like $120 to $125. I think it is great if pricey but no guarantee you will feel the same.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!