Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Went hunting in a new area the other day and picked up Arran Devil's Punchbowl first release and old label HP 12.

Passed up a bottle of 1980 macallan 18 gran reserva. Owner was asking 450 for it...he knows nothing about whiskey and the store he has it consigned at will never find another buyer for it, I think I will chop away at him until he sells it to me for the price of a current bottle of macallan 18. It is only "fair" [emoji51]

Passed up Talisker 18 at $105. Probably the best price I'm going to see it at now, but I remember paying $79 for it a little too recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Ardbeg Supernova for $189. I was already really iffy at $159, and the extra $30 pushed me over the edge. Soooo many other things I'd rather have at that price.

Saw 2 (or 3) bottles of The General on the shelf (and priced at $299.99).

First thought was "Damn, I only have one - maybe I should bunker this?"

Second thought was "Do I have $300 or $600 laying around that I forgot about?", which unfortunately made the first thought moot :lol:

post-7689-14489821445056_thumb.jpg

Those of us at the Gazebo the previous few nights saw Fricky's decanter-style bottle of Old Charter 10 from 'way back when' eventually be drained away............. (I now pause to shed a silent tear for it's passing).

What a finely balanced and wonderfully nuanced pour it was. One of the 'best' pours on a table that offered more than a few very nice ones.

A great pleasure to have had the chance to taste a little bit of it... THANX, Fricky!

Passed up a Balvenie Tun 1401 (couldn't see a batch number since it was on the highest shelf) for $267. Alerted a fellow SBer who had been looking for one. Also passed on Compass Box The General at $240. A great price (sale ends today) but I know that bottle had been on its side for quite a while, and I'm not really looking to spend that much on a single bottle with the fall bourbon glut and an upcoming work trip to San Diego.

Also passed on Compass Box The General at $240. A great price (sale ends today) but I know that bottle had been on its side for quite a while, and I'm not really looking to spend that much on a single bottle with the fall bourbon glut and an upcoming work trip to San Diego.

Wow - I wonder how long a bottle has to be on its side to go bad? If not long, I might have gambled on that - although can appreciate the cash-flow crunch this time of year brings upon us!

If the deal was good enough i would buy them and open them at the counter. That way if they are bad you can prove no funny business on your end. Depends on their return policy though.

Honestly if I were really looking to buy The General I would take the risk on that bottle for that price. Chances are it's just fine. I've been eyeing some older springbanks that will be eating up a goodly portion of my funds if I end up buying them, though that Balvenie Tun 1401 is looking pretty nice as well. All of my older bottles of whisky are peated, so maybe it's worth having one that's not?

Honestly if I were really looking to buy The General I would take the risk on that bottle for that price. Chances are it's just fine. I've been eyeing some older springbanks that will be eating up a goodly portion of my funds if I end up buying them, though that Balvenie Tun 1401 is looking pretty nice as well. All of my older bottles of whisky are peated, so maybe it's worth having one that's not?

If you wanna test drive either, let me know...

Passed up a 1994 Caol Ila Sassicaia finish (10 yrs in bourbon barrels, 8 yrs in Sassicaia barrels) for $180. I would have considered this at cask strength, but 45% made this an easy pass. Ardbeg Supernova again (let me know if anyone in the area wants one), probably some other stuff. I walked into this particular store intending to buy their last bottle of Alc-hem-ist Springbank 10 since I'm enjoying my bottle so much, but was sidetracked by a Midwinter's Night Dram (2.2). Ah well. Maybe next time.

Found 4 Ardbeg Supernovas (new version) for $150 each, grabbed one and passed on 3. And at least 6 Glenmorangie Compantas, all for $99. Funny, these things are impossible to find at home (or at least very hard) yet here there are a bunch of them just sitting around.

Also passed on some Auriverdes back home for $110 + 20% tax... no thanks

Edited by MtnDew

Passed on a Macallan 15 yr Fine Oak ($79 seems like a good price, but needed to do some research). Seems like that one might be revisited (after the fall release madness dies down).

Passed on a Macallan 15 yr Fine Oak ($79 seems like a good price, but needed to do some research). Seems like that one might be revisited (after the fall release madness dies down).

Country, that is a good price but I've got an open bottle if you want to Try before you Buy.

Country, that is a good price but I've got an open bottle if you want to Try before you Buy.

Awesome - I will definitely take you up on that! Thanks! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm saving my pennies for other things, but I saw Glenfarclas 10 at one of the local chains for $34.97, and it was tough to pass it up.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!