Which Water of Life Did You Pass Up Today? - Winter/Spring 2014

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on a few things that I may go back for later:

Arran Devil's Punchbowl II ($125)

Bowmore Dorus Mor Batch 1 ($99)

Bruichladdich Laddie 10 ($55)

Port Charlotte PC7 ($90)

Jura Prophecy ($70)

The Laddie 10 is starting to get pretty scarce around here, and I want one to compare to my Bruichladdich 1973 that I'll be opening at some point, so I'll probably bite the bullet on that soon. Sucks that it appears to be a distillery only bottling for the near future. Leaning toward the Bowmore Dorus Mor as well. Seems like it'd be right up my alley. Uncertain about the Devil's Punchbowl or Jura Prophecy. I love peat, but I don't have a ton of experience with Arran or Jura.

Passed on a few things that I may go back for later:

Arran Devil's Punchbowl II ($125)

Bowmore Dorus Mor Batch 1 ($99)

Bruichladdich Laddie 10 ($55)

Port Charlotte PC7 ($90)

Jura Prophecy ($70)

The Laddie 10 is starting to get pretty scarce around here, and I want one to compare to my Bruichladdich 1973 that I'll be opening at some point, so I'll probably bite the bullet on that soon. Sucks that it appears to be a distillery only bottling for the near future. Leaning toward the Bowmore Dorus Mor as well. Seems like it'd be right up my alley. Uncertain about the Devil's Punchbowl or Jura Prophecy. I love peat, but I don't have a ton of experience with Arran or Jura.

I passed on another Laddie 10 myself. I have one of those along with an Organic, Peat Project, PC10, and Rocks bunkered for later since those are all in the endangered species list. What I really wanted to pick up was a Laddie 16 but never found one after the announcement of the impending changes. That sucks because those, like the GD 12's bottled before April of this year, were actually much older than they said, something like 22-23 years old.

Tried a little Springbank 12 CS at a store today. It was huge and flavorful but I fear no woman would ever make out with the sexy beast I am if I drank even single glass of it. I can haz Darth Vader breath? Just not my speed, I guess. Naturally I left with $75 still in my pocket.

Tried a little Springbank 12 CS at a store today. It was huge and flavorful but I fear no woman would ever make out with the sexy beast I am if I drank even single glass of it. I can haz Darth Vader breath? Just not my speed, I guess. Naturally I left with $75 still in my pocket.

Passed on a bottle of Laphroaig Cairdeas 2014. I was going to go for it, but noticed the bottle said that it was finished in casks that had been "charged with" Amontillado (vs. being finished in Amontillado casks). Picked up a bottle of Bowmore Tempest Batch 2 for my first ever Bowmore experience instead. I MAY go back for the Laphroaig, but I think I'll wait a bit for some reviews first. The "charged with" language concerns me a bit.

Passed on a bottle of Laphroaig Cairdeas 2014. I was going to go for it, but noticed the bottle said that it was finished in casks that had been "charged with" Amontillado (vs. being finished in Amontillado casks). Picked up a bottle of Bowmore Tempest Batch 2 for my first ever Bowmore experience instead. I MAY go back for the Laphroaig, but I think I'll wait a bit for some reviews first. The "charged with" language concerns me a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Passed on a Longmorn 20yr UCF/cask strength (55.6%) Berry's bottling. Don't know much about Longmorn, other than a fantastic bottling from K&L (and expect that has set the bar such that this might be disappointing, so saved my dough).

Passed on a chance to special order EC23. Too pricy compared to my all time favorite EC12BP.

Lagavulin 16 on sale for $44.99. I already have a bottle put away, but that price is pretty hard to pass up . . .

Glenmorangie 18 in a box with two nice glasses, a gold golf ball and what appeared to be some sort of golf-themed pins? $85. Pretty good deal... I've never had the Glenmo 18 but $85 is not a bad price for an 18yo whisky these days, not to mention the swag. Still passed though.

Lagavulin 16 on sale for $44.99. I already have a bottle put away, but that price is pretty hard to pass up . . .

Holy schnikes...I would buy at least two at that price. Doesn't sell for less than $90 here.

Glenmorangie 18 in a box with two nice glasses, a gold golf ball and what appeared to be some sort of golf-themed pins? $85. Pretty good deal... I've never had the Glenmo 18 but $85 is not a bad price for an 18yo whisky these days, not to mention the swag. Still passed though.

Sounds like the British Open (or as they like to say across the pond, "THE Open". I wonder if somebody there went to THE Ohio State University? Nah, probably not...) themed gift pack. Glenmo is a big sponsor or at least has been in the past.

Passed on a Longmorn 20yr UCF/cask strength (55.6%) Berry's bottling. Don't know much about Longmorn, other than a fantastic bottling from K&L (and expect that has set the bar such that this might be disappointing, so saved my dough).

I think I passed on the same one. One of us may need to take I e for the team.

Amazing deal! Me, I picked up a replacement bottle of Ardbeg 10 and an Ardmore Traditional Cask which I still believe is one of the best values out there.

Passed on the K&L Signatory Glenlivet 1981. I watched that bottle go from 50+ in stock to gone and I was within 15 miles of a K&L store that had it. I really want to get a few more bottles from 1981 but I just could not pull the trigger for $300. Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open for other 1981's.

Springbank 15 and 17 Cask Strength; $145 and $180. Sound awesome, too rich for my blood given my current expenditures.

Not sure if it was special or not (and in too big a hurry to research at the time), but left an older-looking bottle (different shape than the current, more of a typical round bottle shape) of HP15 and HP18 behind in Miami. Unfortunately not enough room in my carry-on with the other stuff I grabbed.

Not sure if it was special or not (and in too big a hurry to research at the time), but left an older-looking bottle (different shape than the current, more of a typical round bottle shape) of HP15 and HP18 behind in Miami. Unfortunately not enough room in my carry-on with the other stuff I grabbed.
The European market for older bottles means you missed out on a roughly $230-$280 secondary sale I suppose (assuming you travel internationally and whiskybase is accurate), but the Ralfy types of the world seem to think older HPs had a lot more caramel coloring in them than the current version. Unless you are a huge Highland Park fan, I don't think you should lose sleep over it. The current bottling of HP18 is still quite good. I have a similar bottle of HP12 that I'm going to open at some point. I'm expecting slightly better integrated sherry notes (as in a less vinegary nose and arrival, prior to serious aeration), but not much in the way of overall added value.

Passed up on Talisker 25 and 30 (the watered down bottlings), somehow stopped my hand from grabbing a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for $44.99; Macallan 30 and Glenlivet 40 for some ungodly large prices. Additionally, I thought about purchasing a Springbank 15 with older packaging, but a fairly high price ($130 or so) and some musings I've read on the interwebz about late 80s/early 90s Springbank distillate tasting "off" compared to the newer stuff stayed my hand. I'll do some more poking around the net and see if I can get better info. Those bottles have been hanging out for at least a year, so I'm not concerned about them disappearing.

Edited by garbanzobean

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!