Customer relations......wow.......

393foureyedfox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So, out of curiosity, I sent an email to D_____, per the 'contact us' button on their own web page, asking if their 9 and 14 year whiskies are something they plan to keep releasing or if it was just a one time thing. Here's the response I got:

I am wondering if you are talking about the 8 Year Old or the Barrel Select as I am not showing that we make a 9 Year Old. If you do have a bottle of G_____D_____ 9 Year Old, could you please take a picture of it and respond to this email with the photo attached?

There's so much wrong with that reply, I don't know what to think of the company now.

wow.

does anyone with some actual knowledge of the company know the answer to my question?

Edited by 393foureyedfox

I mean, I can see if, say HH, who has tons of labels that it would be easy to let one slip from your memory....but when you only offer 5 different bottlings of the same mashbill? and to not even know that your own #8 is un-age stated?

what?

does anyone with some actual knowledge of the company know the answer to my question?

I'm guessing that "customer relations" is some web techie who mostly updates the website and is not associated with Sales...pretty stupid if that is the case...

More likely it's a low level Diageo employee... who has to go rely on the Dickel website for his or her information. I don't think their website mentions their single barrel program (these are SBs, right?) which is very new.

And, even though Dickel is a relatively small part of the Big Diageo Machine, they're still spread across more than one location. Having worked for a multi-national for several years I can tell you that information doesn't always travel effectively.

yeah, their own website doesnt acknowledge the 9 and 14 year whiskies, which is why I wanted to know if it was a one time thing (and should therefore stockpile) or if it is going to be ongoing.

but still, the 'contact us' button should link me to someone in the know about their own products. even not knowing of the 9/14 year stuff, to call the #8 "8 year".....

Of course that techie could be a couple thousand miles from Tullahoma so it's not like they could run next door to the warehouse and ask someone.

Of course that techie could be a couple thousand miles from Tullahoma so it's not like they could run next door to the warehouse and ask someone.

Are your bottles Dickel Barrel Select, and if so, did you specify that in your email to them?

At least the response remembered to say "we", instead of they. "They" is a typical mistake of a spokesman for a contracted vehicle of an outsourced operation.

Eskwar, that's very kind of you........but there are still a dozen or so around here that I plan to get a few more of soon. I just wanted to know if it was a one time thing, or if they were gonna do it once a year or what. If its a one time thing, Im gonna get all i can. If its a once a year thing, Ill keep 3 or 4 on hand and restock once a year. If its a regular release, Ill keep 1 or 2 on hand and replace whenever one gets empty.

Fishbowljoe.......I didnt say Barrel Select to them, as BS is the 86 proof version and not what I have here. BS is listed on their website, but not the 9 and 14 year.

If even they can't answer my question, I guess I'll never know the answer, unless I someday run into Lunn himself.

From the looks of what you posted, they were pretty nice about asking you to take some pictures of your bottles and send them in an email to them. Maybe instead of complaining more, you should acquiesce to their suggestion, and send some pictures of the bottles you have. It couldn't hurt. There's also a better chance that you might get an answer to your question that way. Maybe you could post some pics of your bottles here too. Perhaps after seeing some pics, it might ring a bell with someone.

Get the name of the Dickel rep from your local whiskey monger. You will get better information there.

instead of complaining more, you should acquiesce to their suggestion, and send some pictures of the bottles you have. It couldn't hurt.

as if you wouldnt be similarly shocked/dismayed if a company rep told you that OF was never a BIB and they dont make anything called 'Signature".

They only release 5 variations of one distillate. To make two product description errors on two of those 5 in one sentence is pretty bad business.

as if you wouldnt be similarly shocked/dismayed if a company rep told you that OF was never a BIB and they dont make anything called 'Signature".

They only release 5 variations of one distillate. To make two product description errors on two of those 5 in one sentence is pretty bad business.

But, here is a hint. It is listed with several control states (NC, OH, VA, MI, maybe others), which means it's probably going stay around for a little while, anyway, because getting listed is a pain in the butt.

thanks. that is more info than I got from them.

Okay, I did a little research. Here's the information you are so desperately seeking Doug. I am speaking only of the 14 year old Dickel, but I am under the impression that the same probably holds true for the 9 year old.

First off, the 14 year old is a limited edition offering. Hence, the reason it didn't show up on their website. There are no specifics as to whether or not more of these might be available in the future. Time will tell. Maybe…………?

Dickle hand selected forty barrels to be bottled for this limited edition offering. Distribution throughout the country. I'm not sure as to any specific state allocations. My understanding is that samples were sent to those that expressed an interest in these limited edition barrels. If you wanted any, you had to purchase a whole barrel. So for all intensive purposes, these bottlings basically amounted to private barrel selections. Again, probably why they didn't show up on their website, and more than likely why the poor customer service folks have no clue as to what's going on.

So, there you have it. I hope that answers your questions.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. That's kinda what I expected, but hoped wasn't true. Guess I will have to start a bunker.....

Thanks, Joe. That's kinda what I expected, but hoped wasn't true. Guess I will have to start a bunker.....

No prob Doug.

There isn't anything at all wrong with a bunker. Hopefully it won't take you as long as it has some of us here to really figure out what you like. I know it took me a while. On the bright side, I at least learned a helluva lot along the way.

Cheers! Joe

Ive figured a lot of it out already, even though a lot of it is at odds with the majority opinions on here. I never really wanted to bunker stuff, but with things constantly going out of production, changing, or shelves being empty, I now see the allure. Ill grab a few more tomorrow. I think the LB's in Louisville must have split a barrel among themselves, and only one of them has any left.

One drunken nighf I wrote an email to buffalo trace, in hindsight it was probably bordering on the absurd, the response was very quick, very polite and proffesional, I felt all warm and fuzzy if not somewhat silly at the same time.

George Dickel is Diageo's red-headed stepchild. I never have understood why they bought the brand, and then let it languish. They have access to the top marketing powerhouse in the world, and yet, somehow, GD's website remained frozen in the late 1990s until recently. It even used to state that the product wasn't available outside the US, supposedly because they couldn't make enough of it.

Then when the not-distilled-by-them rye came out, they updated their website, but with what seems the bare minimum of effort. A shame.

For those who have tried the 9 year old limited edition, what did you think and what did you pay? I have some sitting at my local for $49.99 a bottle. Considering pulling the trigger.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.