Current Van Winkle Prices 2013/2014

smknjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

With comments being added to the now outdated thread that was started last year, I figured we should start a new one.

I'll add to the list. Just happened to stumble across an ORVW for $55 today. I hate paying that much, but it's one of my favorites and the cheapest I've seen it this year is $49. Not on the shelf. The owner offered it to me as I was checking out.

I'll add to the list. Just happened to stumble across an ORVW for $55 today. I hate paying that much, but it's one of my favorites and the cheapest I've seen it this year is $49. Not on the shelf. The owner offered it to me as I was checking out.

I'd probably have done it, and I'd probably still be kind of pissed about it.

On the shelf? I'm surprised there is any left anywhere.

It was a call from a store owner and someone hadn't picked it up.

10yr@35

12yr@48

rye @65

15yr@68

20yr@114

23yr@219

Prices I purchased at or could have in October 2013... I only bought a 12, 2x20's and a 23 though.

Given today's trends, reduced quality, blah blah blah...I think 55$ is a great price for this years 10/107. Very shrewd pickup, Joe. I think it was 49.99$ almost everywhere around here (or close to that).

Out-and-about a couple weeks ago, I saw a PVW 15 for 499.99$. Such a deal...

oh I know a place I could run out and grab one right now....on the shelf..at a bargain price of 889.99 for the 15..This is the place that told me they wold be getting it, when they did I called and they quoted me a price of 319 something for the 15..so don't know if the price on the site is wrong of they raised it because they couldn't sell it at the original asking price....and yes thats backwards on purpose....

Paid the state minimum of $249 this fall for a Pappy 23, will be giving this place a lot more business.

Best regards, Tony

Nice! Congrats if you got it.

I paid $99 + Washington's ridiculous taxes for my PVW15. I like it a lot and would pay $124.

I bought it as a nod to this small store owner (who has graciously provided me access to limited releases for some time). I already had one, but had a friend that didn't. Well worth the price to keep a connection....and help a friend out.

That original 319 is even too high!

Exactly why I didn't buy it and why its still there. I called and when they told me I was like you know that's an 80 dollar bottle right....lol...didnt care

Picked up both PVW 15 and 20yr yesterday in Brisbane Australia. Shelf price was ~$235 and ~$310 respectively (AUS Dollar$) but I got a small break on price.

I left the 23 yr on the shelf (Was around $500).

Lots of $$ no doubt, but it is as good a price as we can hope for in Australia, so I thought what the hell.

For comparison the BTAC range is $250-$350 AUD per bottle here.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by mfxr

This is meant as no disrespect to any outside of the states, but why is Van Winkle sold outside of the U.S? The demand is so huge here that one would think the profit could easily be made without all the distribution costs. Maybe that is all factored in on the wholesale cost and Pappy still gets their full amount and then some. One trend that is driving me nuts in the beer world is the attempt of some micros to be nationally distributed. In MN we are getting Kona brewing from Hawaii and Alaska Brewing. They are great beers but my thought on micros is to brew worldly styles but keep it local. 90% of the beers I purchase are made in MN or WI.

This is meant as no disrespect to any outside of the states, but why is Van Winkle sold outside of the U.S? The demand is so huge here that one would think the profit could easily be made without all the distribution costs. Maybe that is all factored in on the wholesale cost and Pappy still gets their full amount and then some. One trend that is driving me nuts in the beer world is the attempt of some micros to be nationally distributed. In MN we are getting Kona brewing from Hawaii and Alaska Brewing. They are great beers but my thought on micros is to brew worldly styles but keep it local. 90% of the beers I purchase are made in MN or WI.

This is meant as no disrespect to any outside of the states, but why is Van Winkle sold outside of the U.S?
Imagine you have exclusive distribution rights for Sazerac in country X.....sell millions a year in product. Don't you think you'd demand the halo products for your best accounts?

Do you think LCBO would put these:

Ancient Age

d'Eaubonne VSOP Napoleon Brandy

Old Charter 10

on the shelf without getting the halo brands (BTAC, & poppy von shminkle) as well?

It must be all about the development of business relationships. That provides the best explanation for variations in pricing and availability. I can buy EWB at Walmart for $8.99 and Blanton's is available for under $40 in Honolulu, but we pay premium prices for many other bourbons and just average prices for some. Four Roses just recently appeared in our market and we probably pay some of the highest prices - YL is $20, SmB is $35, SB is $45 ($40 @ Costco, but running out). ER10 is another newcomer, but at $36-$40, I'll stick with Blanton's. Van who?

Edited by MauiSon

One trend that is driving me nuts in the beer world is the attempt of some micros to be nationally distributed. In MN we are getting Kona brewing from Hawaii and Alaska Brewing. They are great beers but my thought on micros is to brew worldly styles but keep it local. 90% of the beers I purchase are made in MN or WI.

Not sure Kona is the best example of what you mean at least as far as beer is concerned as things get tricky in the world of "craft" beers. Kona beers are part of the company "Craft Brew Alliance" and in addition to Hawaii are made at Redhook brewery in Seattle and Widmer Bros. in Portland for broader distribution. Makes it a bit more like Blue Moon or Shock Top which are just pseudo craft labels for big companies. Or Goose Island which also used to be owned in part by Craft Brew Alliance and I think now is wholly owned by AB-InBev with some of its beers made in different parts of the country on a much larger scale and some presumably still closer to its craft origins.

Not sure Kona is the best example of what you mean at least as far as beer is concerned as things get tricky in the world of "craft" beers. Kona beers are part of the company "Craft Brew Alliance" and in addition to Hawaii are made at Redhook brewery in Seattle and Widmer Bros. in Portland for broader distribution. Makes it a bit more like Blue Moon or Shock Top which are just pseudo craft labels for big companies. Or Goose Island which also used to be owned in part by Craft Brew Alliance and I think now is wholly owned by AB-InBev with some of its beers made in different parts of the country on a much larger scale and some presumably still closer to its craft origins.

Nearly all the Kona in the main 48 is brewed outside of Hawaii.

The only goose products brewed in Chicago are the high end Belgian and barrel aged beers.

Craft beer "globalization" is a topic for another thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.