Current Van Winkle Prices 2013/2014

smknjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yes per bottle. The 20 year old. That's the only one I've seen. No 15 or lot b.

That's a little high but not outrageous.

Who says I overcharge and What defines overcharging? Alcohol in general is the one product who's price varies most depending on the setting and location.

Bud light is 18 bucks a case at a discount store. But people gladly fork over $10+ at ballgames, nightclubs etc.

I just went to Vegas and we spent over 1200 to get a table at a nightclub for one bottle of vodka, 6 red bulls and 6 waters.

Rediculous and excessive yes but we had a good time.

If this is off topic, delete it. It's not just pappy who's price varies greatly.

I just purchased a bottle this week of ORVW 10 year for 37.99. He said I got the last of the three bottles he had. Sitting right on the shelf with all the other run of the mill stuff. I was surprised. But my question is, why is it out now, doesn't pappy usually come out in the fall?

I just purchased a bottle this week of ORVW 10 year for 37.99. He said I got the last of the three bottles he had. Sitting right on the shelf with all the other run of the mill stuff. I was surprised. But my question is, why is it out now, doesn't pappy usually come out in the fall?

Yes it does, and that's amazing.

tbt

Yes per bottle. The 20 year old. That's the only one I've seen. No 15 or lot b.
They got allocations of everything but the 20 this year as far as I know. This the first year they've gotten the 15 and the 10, and it wasn't even requested, just shipped with the Lot B allocations. I showed up to pick up my bottle of the 12 year and they asked me if I had any 15 or 10? I said "no, but I guess it's spoken for?" They were like "nope, it just showed up." My lucky day for sure. I'd imagine we'll get it annually going forward, but I don't think they're going to start taking requests for the 23 year again anytime soon.

Some stores hold back bottles from the fall and release them into the wild throughout the year.

You just never know when something will show up at a store, even dusties.

A couple of years ago I stopped into a store that I frequent, and I saw an ORVW10/107 (could tell right away by the gold neck wrap), so I immediately grabbed it. As I was walking toward the counter with it, I checked the price and thought to myself "wtf?...41.99?...I'm not paying that much!". Then I saw that it was an ORVW15yo, so of course I bought it. The merchant told me that he had gotten in four bottles and that three had already sold.

post-5227-14489820831532_thumb.jpg

and the insanity continues. hope they choke on 'em

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18331[/ATTACH]

I've had the thought several times now that we should start a thread for members who've seen people pay those prices.... maybe even encourage cell phone shots of the purchase going down! :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18331[/ATTACH]

I thought I was seeing things too when I happened upon a bottle of ORVW 10/107 today for the same price ($400!!!). As I was looking in the display case, the store clerk happened to wander by and said something about the bottle being a "classic" and that I ought to "jump on it while you still can." No thanks, I said. I've got a bottle of something similar that I picked up for $20 a few years ago. pe5utymy.jpg

Edited by unclebunk

A reminder that links to auction sites are not permitted in the forums and will be removed by staff.

I visited a store I've never been to before last week, and struck up a conversation with the manager.

They had quite a few bottles that I've either never seen on shelves here, or supplies dried up long ago.

I figured, what the heck, so I asked about BTAC. He said they usually get a few bottles, but no one really asks for it there, so only had a couple of names on his list.

Encouraged, I asked the dreaded Pappy question. He replied that they had a small waiting list, but usually his customers didn't want to pay (MSRP) above the price of the 15 year.

This was close to a fairly affluent part of the DFW Metroplex. Struck me as odd, but told him I'd be happy to pay retail for his next bottle of 20.

• 2 weeks later...

Makes me want to throw up when I read these prices, to think how many high quality bourbons one can purchase easily at any binnys or Liquor Barn with the hundreds it's costing for just 1 bottle of pappy..I understand the quality over quantity aspect but not at the cost of your self..seems like you have to make a pact with the devil to find a bottle and then sell your soul to him to afford it..

Makes me want to throw up when I read these prices, to think how many high quality bourbons one can purchase easily at any binnys or Liquor Barn with the hundreds it's costing for just 1 bottle of pappy..I understand the quality over quantity aspect but not at the cost of your self..seems like you have to make a pact with the devil to find a bottle and then sell your soul to him to afford it..

Wait, are you saying the devil has the line on Pappiez? Excuse me while I go down to a crossroads.

I've actually been to the Cross Roads but the devil wasn't in at the time.

He was in line at a Pappy raffle

I've actually been to the Cross Roads but the devil wasn't in at the time.

Well, FWIW, ABC in FL recently tried an online sale May 22, offering a very limited number of Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 yr for $54.99 & the Family Reserve 13 yr old Rye for $69.99.

Of course, it was a complete clusterf*#€k! & the number of buyers predictably froze up the website, so a lot of people came away frustrated & pissed off they didn't get any.

They're trying to redo the system for the next offering...

Well, considering a lot of people weren't going to get a bottle anyway.

You mean the government f'd up and underestimated something? Did they pass the blame onto another department?

I am shocked, shocked I say, to think our government officials capable of such miscreant behavior followed by finger pointing. My faith is shaken.

I'm with the Uncle on this one. Glad I was able to purchase about a dozen 107/10 yr about 6-7 years ago, along with some Pappy 15 and and VWFRRs. I see no reason to be gouged today by insane prices and dealers, given all the good stuff that is readily available on the shelves.

I didn't "know" about VW 6-7 yrs. ago. When I saw it on shelves it was much cheaper than JR and I thought it wasn't any good. Plus, I was a set-it-and-forget-it kind of guy or what some would call a creature of habit. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

...fast forward to today and I'm with The Boozer 100%. Even without a stash of VW in the bar there is no need to overpay for the VW or JR of today since there is so much other great stuff on the shelves that's just as good at a fraction of the price.

Plus, it's not even the same bourbon that once was.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.