Current Van Winkle Prices 2013/2014

smknjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yep, sadly its true. He said he was the last one with it in town and figures someone will pay that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hidden

Sure am glad I picked up all those PVW15's for $37 back in 2008 before the BT-produced stuff hit the market and the prices skyrocketed. I'd have to be a bank robber to buy the stuff now!

Yep, sadly its true. He said he was the last one with it in town and figures someone will pay that price.

Sadly indeed, that attitude cuts across all State lines and markets.

Store here asking $1000 for PVW15. Claimed that his cost is $130 now.

I suppose there is nothing stopping the distributors in non control states from getting there lump of flesh given the level of graft that exists with this product. But like many here I have no interest in playing along. Instead I will waste my money on more interesting foolhardy purchases!

A couple weeks ago I was lucky enough to be selected in a lottery for 1 of 3 bottles of ORVW 10/107. Paid $45.74. I'm sure they could have found many people to pay 3-4 times that much so it's nice to know that there are still stores around who adhere close to the MSRP and not try to gouge you.

Sure am glad I bought those PVW15's for $37 back in 2008 before the BT stuff hit the shelves and the prices skyrocketed!:grin: But seriously, I wouldn't dream of paying what most of these bottles are selling for now. I just don't have the means or the desire to pay more than $100 for a bottle of booze. That's not to say I haven't done it, but I always question myself as to whether it was worth it when other things in my cabinet that cost half as much are just as good.

PVW15 is selling for about $500 on the secondary market around here. I can occasionally find Lot B for $250 but it's normally 300+

Store here asking $1000 for PVW15. Claimed that his cost is $130 now.
He's lying... :grin:

Yep, more like his cost is less than half of that. Retail should be about $80 for PVW15.

Maryland shelf prices:

ORVW 10/107: Bought for $69, also seen for $150 (Pass)

Lot B: $200

VWFRR: $375

PVW15: $500

PVW20: $800

PVW23: $1000

I obviously passed on everything besides the $69 ORVW. I realize that is about double MSRP, but I've never gotten a chance to try it before. I figure it's worth 70 bucks to try once.

Maryland shelf prices:

ORVW 10/107: Bought for $69, also seen for $150 (Pass)

Lot B: $200

VWFRR: $375

PVW15: $500

PVW20: $800

PVW23: $1000

I obviously passed on everything besides the $69 ORVW. I realize that is about double MSRP, but I've never gotten a chance to try it before. I figure it's worth 70 bucks to try once.

I would never pay those prices, but all things considered that's not unreasonable. PVW20 is going for $800-$1000 at auction (hammer price). The only time I see PVW on a retail store shelf is when it's beyond what the current market bears, like 15 for $1,500+.

Just received a call from a local shop that typically gets a decent fall allocation of Van Winkle, said they had one single bottle of "Pappy 12 year" in today and asked if I was interested. My delight turned sour when I asked the price- $200, and I politely declined. I have to admit I am a little aggravated at this since the store has always sold Pappy/VW close to MSRP- looks like those days are over. At least I don't have to listen to my wife complain about buying another bottle of bourbon.

So when BT finally releases the 2014 round of PVW, are we going to see pricing go up or down?

• 3 weeks later...

I was in my local store who had just put 2 more levels of shelving on top of the existing shelves to store boxed inventory and saw a three bottle box from Old Rip Van Winkle stashed up on the highest shelf. With a little excitment at the prospect of a nice score, I asked a guy to go up on the ladder and get it down. Much to my disappointment, the box was empty and the employee had no idea why it was up there. Oh well... Another store a few towns over has Lot B still sitting around for $299 with requirement that four other BT products must be purchased. What's funny is that the shop owner taped a newspaper article to the case talking about the Pappy craze, but the end of the article opined that Pappy was not a panacea and that there were many other readily available bourbons on par or better.

• 2 weeks later...
So when BT finally releases the 2014 round of PVW, are we going to see pricing go up or down?
Edited by smknjoe
Forgot the rye

Re: Empire Wine

That has been on their website for a while. You'll note the following on that page: Shelf Locator: nest-no sale

I was there a couple of weeks ago and didn't see it in the nest (back area behind the cashiers - way up top).

They had plenty of other whiskeys that I hadn't seen before, so it's a pretty cool store if you're in the Albany area.

Edited by s8ist

Email the VanWinkle's from their site. They will tell you what retail should be. According to the VW's the 2013 release that you see people asking crazy prices for was still at a MSRP of about:

ORVW 10/107 $40

Lot B $50

PVW 15 $80

PVW 20 $130

PVW 23 $180? Not sure about that one, but it's very close to $200

VWFRR $70 or so.

I didn't get any this past fall. It just doesn't make it to the shelves and a lot of lotteries require you to be present to win. I would probably pay $10 over the prices listed above. Not interested in any of the others. The prices are just too high!

Edited by mbroo5880i

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.