Foreign Whisky of the Month - 03/2014: IRISH!! (Happy St. Patrick's Day)

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was in Ireland last November and was able to try the Yellow Spot whiskey. Yellow Spot is 12 year old. Definitely shows the signs of being more mature. It is finished in Bourbon, Sherry and Malaga casks. I really enjoyed it. Smoother. A bit sweeter on the finish. I brought a couple of bottles home with me for a special occasion.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Jameson 12, as it is the spirit that got me into whiskey in the first place. I enjoy Readbreast 12 as well.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Jameson 12, as it is the spirit that got me into whiskey in the first place. I enjoy Readbreast 12 as well.

Jameson 12 is great, especially for the $30 price tag at the duty free. I've also enjoyed Jameson Gold and 18, though 18 starts to get pretty dang pricey. Black bottle... eh, not nearly as good, though I do like that it comes in a 1L bottle.

Have plenty of new juice to try this year. Tullamore Phoenix, Crested Ten, Yellow spot, Knappock Castle 14. Along with the various !2yr. brands, should be a nice holiday of whiskey tasting!

Thomas

Having some RB15 tonight, and of the Irish I've had it's still my favorite.

I'm having some RB12 right now in preparation for my sample of TD Phoenix. Looking forward to that one...

I'm having some RB12 right now in preparation for my sample of TD Phoenix. Looking forward to that one...

As far as sherry finished Irish whiskeys go... TD Phoenix > Green Spot

And with that, I'm skipping the Green Spot.

I was pleasantly surprised by some Bushmills 10yo over the weekend. I used to think Black Bush was good, but the last time I had it it was not at all. This is crisp, fruity stuff with a citrusy malt and a snappy finish. Packs a punch for 40%. I think it'd be a good bottle to have around.

And with that, I'm skipping the Green Spot.

I'm glad that I tried the Green Spot, but it's probably going to be a $50 bottle that takes me well over a year to finish off. When you think that you can get TD Phoenix, RB12, Glendronach 12 and others for the same price I wouldn't buy it again. But it also wouldn't prevent me from buying Yellow Spot.

I was pleasantly surprised by some Bushmills 10yo over the weekend. I used to think Black Bush was good, but the last time I had it it was not at all. This is crisp, fruity stuff with a citrusy malt and a snappy finish. Packs a punch for 40%. I think it'd be a good bottle to have around.

I really enjoy the Bushmills single malts. The 16 year is one of my favorites. I'd put it up against PJL any day.

Don't have acess to the TD Phoenix yet (hope to remedy that in the next few days!) but I do have the TD 12yo Special Reserve which seems like it might be similar in that it is a triple blend but at a lower proof like Green Spot. I find it to be a different profile from the much younger Green Spot which is all pot still versus the TD blend. The biggest advantage the TD has is the price point but it really doesn't stand up well to the single pot still 12yo whiskies like Redbreast, Powers Johns Lane and Yellow Spot in any area other than price. That said it is very nice and a step up from standard TD although a good bit more expensive.

The Phoenix reportedly has significant time (2 years?) in sherry casks so I would expect it to be more notable for the sherry component than either the TD 12yo or the Green Spot.

I find the Green Spot to be a very pleasant and tasty but lighter whiskey. it's biggest handicap is the current price which is likely in part due to the whiff of caché it developed when it was hard to get. I do see a few places where it is in the low $40's but here it seems to be in the $50 range. If it cost closer to TD12yo, which is generally mid $30's, it would be more of a toss up for me in terms of value.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Don't have acess to the TD Phoenix yet (hope to remedy that in the next few days!) but I do have the TD 12yo Special Reserve which seems like it might be similar in that it is a triple blend but at a lower proof like Green Spot. I find it to be a different profile from the much younger Green Spot which is all pot still versus the TD blend. The biggest advantage the TD has is the price point but it really doesn't stand up well to the single pot still 12yo whiskies like Redbreast, Powers Johns Lane and Yellow Spot in any area other than price. That said it is very nice and a step up from standard TD although a good bit more expensive.

The Phoenix reportedly has significant time (2 years?) in sherry casks so I would expect it to be more notable for the sherry component than either the TD 12yo or the Green Spot.

I find the Green Spot to be a very pleasant and tasty but lighter whiskey. it's biggest handicap is the current price which is likely in part due to the whiff of caché it developed when it was hard to get. I do see a few places where it is in the low $40's but here it seems to be in the $50 range. If it cost closer to TD12yo, which is generally mid $30's, it would be more of a toss up for me in terms of value.

I feel the exact same way. It's not that I disliked the GS in any way. I just thought it was a bit watered down tasting and not a great value at $50 compared to its peers. I'll still drink it...I just probably won't be reaching for it as often as others.

Considering an A.D. Rattray Cooley 11 yr Cask Strength to join in the celebration. Price is fairly high (around $100), but the uniqueness of the offering makes it interesting.

Considering an A.D. Rattray Cooley 11 yr Cask Strength to join in the celebration. Price is fairly high (around $100), but the uniqueness of the offering makes it interesting.

I ordered a 12yo and 16yo cask strength AD Rattray Cooleys single malt earlier this week but unfortunately it doesn't look like thay are going to make it in time for the weekend festivities. But you are right, they are a bit spendy!

I ordered a 12yo and 16yo cask strength AD Rattray Cooleys single malt earlier this week but unfortunately it doesn't look like thay are going to make it in time for the weekend festivities. But you are right, they are a bit spendy!
I decided to let sleeping dogs lie on that one for the time being, as I was able to grab a TD Phoenix on sale. I don't think the Cooley IB is going anywhere, and I don't drink a ton if Irish Whiskey anyway.

I've spent the better part of the night tasting RB12 Cask Strength side-by-side with the PJL. I have to say that I'm really surprised by how different they are. The Redbreast CS has been my favorite Irish since it came out, and the PJL has not dethroned it. Both are good, but the Redbreast has this caramel apple goodness that the PJL can't match. Gonna post tasting notes tomorrow on my blog and will copy them here.

I loved RB12CS the first time around. When PJL came along, I only liked it at first, but by the end if the bottle, I was convinced it was on par with the RB. Then I had RB15. After >10 months being open, it finally spoke to me and I decided it was the winner!

I opened my 2nd RB12CS a few weeks ago and was surprised how flat it tasted compared to my memory of it the first time and and my memory of the PJL. Well, I had another pour last night, and it's back on top! Oxidation and just a touch of water really seems to open up these pot still Irish. Last night it was creamy with green apples and vanilla pudding and edged by sherried caramel. The proof enhances the body and beefs up the finish.

Not sure about batch variation, but this bottle is from the first US release.

I loved RB12CS the first time around. When PJL came along, I only liked it at first, but by the end if the bottle, I was convinced it was on par with the RB. Then I had RB15. After >10 months being open, it finally spoke to me and I decided it was the winner!

I opened my 2nd RB12CS a few weeks ago and was surprised how flat it tasted compared to my memory of it the first time and and my memory of the PJL. Well, I had another pour last night, and it's back on top! Oxidation and just a touch of water really seems to open up these pot still Irish. Last night it was creamy with green apples and vanilla pudding and edged by sherried caramel. The proof enhances the body and beefs up the finish.

Not sure about batch variation, but this bottle is from the first US release.

I am curious to see what if any changes I find in the RB21 from opening it on Wednesday until tomorrow night. Hopefully we will also get a chance to try at least 2 different batches of the RB12CS at the GBS St Patty's spectacular tomorrow night. I will have the first batch in hand (B1/11 I think) if needed. Hopefully other batches will be there as well. If we have all three we could do another blind tasting!

My notes:

Powers John's Lane

Price: $69.99

Proof: 46% ABV (92 proof)

Color: Dark Honey - slightly darker than the Redbreast, even at lower proof

Nose: Honey and green apple followed by a perfume of sherry. Underneath there are layers of oak and vanilla pipe tobacco. There are slight nail polish remover notes.

Palate: Cream of wheat covered in honey. Toasted oak with tobacco and spice. An incredible roundness.

Finish: Slightly bitter and tannic, though the honey remains on the tongue. The nail polish remover is back.

Overall: B

Redbreast 12 year Cask Strength

(Batch B1/12)

Price: $64.99

Proof: 58.6% ABV (117 proof)

Color: Honey

Nose: Salted caramel-covered green apple with a scoop of bourbon-vanilla ice cream. Malt underneath it all. With some water, the sherry comes out and the caramel subsides. Breathtaking nose.

Palate: A bit closed off at full strength but an insane buttery quality. Honey and dark fruit jam with strong oak and spice. With a bit of water to bring it closer to the Powers' 92 proof, the sherry, green apple, and barley come out as does some bitterness from the oak.

Finish: Sweet and spicy. Medium length. With a little water, the finish becomes longer and warmer, though slightly more bitter.

Overall: B+

Pre gaming for tomorrow night with some Powers 12 while I'm finishing the stew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's technically St. Paddy's weekend so I'm busting out some PJL. Cheers!

Yum! Steeeeeewwwww! Tippin' back some PJL in anticipation of meetin' up tomorrow!

Bitch. I gotta work. Fu and your crew :mad:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.