Foreign Whisky of the Month - 03/2014: IRISH!! (Happy St. Patrick's Day)

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bitch. I gotta work. Fu and your crew :mad:

You were invited. Who the hell is eating steak on St. paddy's weekend anyway?

Well, hell if I could then I would eat at your place daily so never mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the feast of Saint Patrick I'm doing a line-up of Irish: Knappogue Castle 17 yo Twin Wood, Powers Johns Lane, Tullamore D.E.W Phoenix, and Redbreast 21 yo.

Sláinte!

I'm saying goodbye to the last of my Red Breast 12 tonight. Goodnight sweet prince...

post-9650-14489820611411_thumb.jpg

Corned Beef, cabbage, onions,potatoes,and Redbreast 12 Cask Strength. That's a Irish as I can get!

Slainte!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17976[/ATTACH]

Corned Beef, cabbage, onions,potatoes,and Redbreast 12 Cask Strength. That's a Irish as I can get!

Slainte!

Good lord. Me thinks you may have some Irish car bombs on your way to work in the morning. ;-)

Good lord. Me thinks you may have some Irish car bombs on your way to work in the morning. ;-)

Let's hope not I've got to drive to Valpo!

Let's hope not I've got to drive to Valpo!

Glad I'm not riding with you :-)

Had some Knappogue Castle 16 year Twin Wood last night. It's everything that I wanted Green Spot to be. Nice sherry influence and a lot of flavorful bite for only being 80 proof. Has anyone else has this nice Irish dram?

Had some Knappogue Castle 16 year Twin Wood last night. It's everything that I wanted Green Spot to be. Nice sherry influence and a lot of flavorful bite for only being 80 proof. Has anyone else has this nice Irish dram?
I've considered both that and a 17 yr that've been hanging out for awhile. I decided against it after I failed to enjoy the 14 yr all that much. I've got a 12 yr in the stash, but have trouble working up my enthusiasm to open it. Maybe starting my Irish whisky education with Redbreast 12 was a bad idea . . .

I've considered both that and a 17 yr that've been hanging out for awhile. I decided against it after I failed to enjoy the 14 yr all that much. I've got a 12 yr in the stash, but have trouble working up my enthusiasm to open it. Maybe starting my Irish whisky education with Redbreast 12 was a bad idea . . .

I have the Twin Wood 17yo and quite like it. The additional year plus of sherry finish gives a good bit more depth. The 16 only had about 9 months of sherry. But it is very definitely a different style of whiskey than Redbreast or Green Spot, both pot still whiskies, in that the Knappogue Castle is a sherry finished single malt compared to the single pot still style. Rather akin to comparing a 100% rye whiskey to a high rye bourbon.

The 14yo is different as well as it is a vatting or blend of bourbon barrel finished single malt and malt finished in sherry "infused" barrels and no doubt a bit lighter as a result. Not the same as the 16 or 17.

And it is hard for Green Spot, as nice as it is, to make up for having only about half the age of the KC, no matter what the mashbill is. It is going to be different.

Powers John Lane, Redbreast 12 CS, Green Spot and Yellow Spot have all been in solid rotation since St. Patrick's Day. All superb in their own ways.

For our March meeting we poured Irish and had some members with Irish heritage educate us on the history a little bit. The lineup was Knappogue Castle 12, Middleton very rare 2013, Bushmills 10, Jameson black barrel, redbreast 12 CS, and Connemara. I had tried all but the KC12 and Black Barrel before. Middleton is pretty severely over priced/underwhelming to my preference. Favorite without much surprise was the redbreast, but I enjoyed the Bushmills much more than I remembered.

Maybe I'm not an Irish whiskey fan because I have generally disliked all Irish blends as they taste like wet cardboard. Then again, I only drink it when on an expense account with customers so I've only had the standard offerings at your average Irish bar. I opened my bottle of Green Spot last night and it was actually good, definitely better than any of the normal stuff I've tried like Bushmills (10, 16, 21) and Jameson (standard, 12, 18, rarest). I'll keep drinking GS.

• 3 weeks later...

kaiserhog are you speaking of the Clontarf 1014 Classic Blend or the Single Malt? I've only been able to find the Blend and I find it to be an acceptable alternative to Bushmills Original for the price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.