What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Spring/Summer 2014

DaveOfAtl
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A half-assed Mint Julep:

1 sugar cube, 2 tsp.water, 6 small mint leaves from the garden muddled in a Tervis rocks glass

add three fingers of ECBP

fill w crushed ice

stir

garnish w fresh mint sprig

start the weekend!

Whiskey Sour for a pre-dinner cocktail. 1.5oz bourbon, 1oz simple syrup, .75oz fresh lemon juice, and an egg white.

bJ4OaRC.jpg?1

Just made one of these. No Luxardo's, but they're on my Christmas list! Delicious, and first cocktail with egg white. (I suck). Drank the shite out of whiskey sours during college, but powders and mixes...(I really suck)...and the same for the last 30 yrs...(I suck even worse than I thought)...

Question: What do y'all do with the yolk? I hated to toss it down the disposal.

Well, there's baked goods. Most call for yolks no whites. So whip up some muffins or cookies.

Well, there's baked goods. Most call for yolks no whites. So whip up some muffins or cookies.

Wha?!? Now, your telling me I have to mix up some cookies, E? I'll stick with cutting them off the tube...and forgoing the oven part...:D

Wha?!? Now, your telling me I have to mix up some cookies, E? I'll stick with cutting them off the tube...and forgoing the oven part...:D

Don't worry Joe, you can make custard style ice cream too.

I'm with you Joe, I do a fair amount of cooking around the Dusty homestead, but I don't bake.

A fun one tonight. The Corpse Defiler #666. It is a takeoff on the Corpse Reviver family.

Never been a big fan of Campari despite my cocktail interest. It works OK here but I may have to try my usual alternative and use Aperol instead. Will probably be a different drink (The Corpse Reviver family of drinks tends to be pretty finicky about balance) but you never know, it could be even better!

Just throw it in the pan with a couple more eggs and scramble that sucker up for breakfast. You will never miss the egg white.

When making egg white drinks in volume (yes, at my house that happens!) I tend to cheat and use pasteurized egg white from the store. Works better for the occasional finicky guest (like by now they don't know it doesn't pay to be finicky at my house? What's up with that???) and no left over yolks to deal with.

Whiskey Sour for a pre-dinner cocktail. 1.5oz bourbon, 1oz simple syrup, .75oz fresh lemon juice, and an egg white.

bJ4OaRC.jpg?1

My mouth watered a little looking at that pic, I just wanna slurp the froth off the top and inhale the liquid, squint a little and slam the glass down and ask politely for another.

Edited by onemorepour

Im loving making manhattans ATM combining bourbon and non peaty scotch, tonight im messing with a potent mix o

1.5oz WTRB

1.5oz glenfarclas 105

1/2 oz each of dolin blanc and rouge

Peychauds bitters

Must be doing something good because I cant stop looking at the pic of the sour and the power outlets in the background, the top one is grinning and the bottom one looks very suprised, what are they looking at?

Must be doing something good because I cant stop looking at the pic of the sour and the power outlets in the background, the top one is grinning and the bottom one looks very suprised, what are they looking at?

Nominate this for Post-Of-The-Day 8-2-14. Onemore that cocktail gave you superpowers of vision and cognition. And I'm not a scotch guy but I've got some A'bunadh that I may have to try this with.

Just made one of these. No Luxardo's, but they're on my Christmas list! Delicious, and first cocktail with egg white. (I suck). Drank the shite out of whiskey sours during college, but powders and mixes...(I really suck)...and the same for the last 30 yrs...(I suck even worse than I thought)...

My wife always gives me a hard time about using actual egg whites, but I prefer it to creme. I normally just toss the yolk down the disposal. Not sure if there's anything worthwhile that could be done with them.

Just looked at this again and am not surprised you liked that one! That is a pretty healthy ration of whiskey to simple syrup. More like a whiskey sweet. I tend to use less simple and more lemon juice. And more whiskey!

Just looked at this again and am not surprised you liked that one! That is a pretty healthy ration of whiskey to simple syrup. More like a whiskey sweet. I tend to use less simple and more lemon juice. And more whiskey!

What proportions do you use, Bruce?

Nominate this for Post-Of-The-Day 8-2-14. Onemore that cocktail gave you superpowers of vision and cognition. And I'm not a scotch guy but I've got some A'bunadh that I may have to try this with.

Abundah would work nicely, I much prefer drinking it neat to the farclas 105 so the 105 gets the chop for cocktails first.

And its very boozy which is critical for inducing visions.

What proportions do you use, Bruce?

I typically start with a ratio of 2:1:0.5 as shown here and adjust as needed. I don't think I have made a whiskey sour in a while so I would probably stick to that recipe to begin with. If you want less tartness you can adjust the lemon down and the sugar up to .75/.75 but it is a Whiskey "Sour" after all!

I like the "Improved Whiskey Sour" recipe as well except that I use regular honey syrup and don't add the hot pepper infusion. Honey syrup is basically like simple syrup but uses honey instead of sugar. I will also use brown sugar or especially "Demerara" sugar when I have it. I always try to keep Demerara sugar on hand. It is a Tiki essential!

Real Demerara sugar from Guyana is a bit hard to find but there is a company called Florida Crystals that makes a sugar using that name that can sometimes be found in area grocery stores. Probably similar to "Sugar in the Raw". Cane syrup is not a bad option either. Both bring a little extra richness and funk to the sugar syrup.

More Kentucky Mules as I prep the grill. These, for posterity, are: (unmeasured) HH White Label BIB/lime juice/Vernor's Diet Ginger Soda/Fee Bros Barrel Aged Bitters. Stirred w ice in a large Tervis tumbler. I'm a happy Dusty guy!

Entirely unproductive day...YES!!!! :D. Passed the time doin' nuthin' with a Pimm's Cup.

Entirely unproductive day...YES!!!! :D. Passed the time doin' nuthin' with a Pimm's Cup.

Joe, in my book, you were VERY productive.

Bought a bottle of Pimm's yesterday. Looking forward to trying various ingredients and ratios.

Also bought a Misto sprayer to streamline my Sazerac absinthe rinse, looking forward to trying it out

After The Man Comes Around last weekend and my recent Aperol variation of the Corpse Defiler I had an itch to try a little combination of the two.

Started with a Division Bell.

1 oz Mezcal (Del Maguey Vida)

3/4 oz Aperol

3/4 oz Lime Juice

1/2 oz Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a grapefruit twist.

I didn't have grapefruit so a lime twist had to suffice.

One thing led to another and before you know it I was Naked and Famous!

3/4 oz Mezcal (Sombra)

3/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse

3/4 oz Aperol

3/4 oz Lime Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a coupe glass.

The lime wedge recommended on Kindred Cocktail seemed a bit much so I elected to again go with a more standard lime twist as garnish.

At this rate I am going to need more Aperol soon...

If you're on an Aperol kick you might want to try subbing it for Campari in a Boulevardier, as a pal of mine likes to do.

If you're on an Aperol kick you might want to try subbing it for Campari in a Boulevardier, as a pal of mine likes to do.

Yes, have done so on many occasions. I tend to prefer it with Aperol but I admittedly have never taken a shine to Campari despite my best efforts. It is a rare drink where Campari works for me. Not that Aperol is always an adequate substitution as they are fairly different.

The Campari's fine with me, but I tend to halve the recipe and use an amaro for the other half. So far I've enjoyed it with Cynar, Nonino, and Nandino. So to be clear, 2oz rye (or sometimes bourbon), 1 oz. Carpano Antica, 1/2 oz. Campari, 1/2 oz amaro of your choice. I guess that's really a 1794 if I'm being picky, but I still tend to think of it as a Boulevardier and much prefer the version with more rye.

The Campari's fine with me, but I tend to halve the recipe and use an amaro for the other half. So far I've enjoyed it with Cynar, Nonino, and Nandino. So to be clear, 2oz rye (or sometimes bourbon), 1 oz. Carpano Antica, 1/2 oz. Campari, 1/2 oz amaro of your choice. I guess that's really a 1794 if I'm being picky, but I still tend to think of it as a Boulevardier and much prefer the version with more rye.

Yes, rye suggests the 1794 although I find the mole bitters to be significant in that drink. I have also tried a variation that leaves out both Campari and vermouth all together and replaces it with Cynar, Bonal and a dash of orange bitters (1.5 rye or bourbon, .75 each Cynar and Bonal).

Although at that point I suppose you have a third cousin twice removed from the Boulevardier family!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.