BOTM 6/14: Jim Beam White

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, it's the first of the month, and I'm on time for a change! :woohoo:

I'm going to go back to basics again with the BOTM. I'm taking a suggestion from a fellow member, and also using an idea that Jeff had when he did Beam White as the BOTM back in November of 2006. Jeff's idea was to try and hit the staple bourbons offered by the major distilleries. Thanks go to Flyfish for the original idea though. His suggestion was, "Recycle some of the old bottles. Not only have some of the bourbons changed over the years, the membership has grown and changed too."

Not much from me again. IMHO, I will say that Beam White is fairly easy on the wallet, but not so much so on the pallet. And yes that has been said by others. I'm not plagiarizing, just agreeing. :rolleyes:

With that, the BOTM for this month is Jim Beam White. Like Jeff used to post when he was doing the BOTM, :893drillsergeant-thSound Off!:893drillsergeant-th

Cheers! Joe

It serves a purpose. In my case, it got me through college on the cheap.

When I graduated, I swore that I'd never drink it again (among a few other things):skep:....and I haven't.

I didn't drink it in college but I have had more than enough at company Christmas parties to know that I will never buy a bottle.

It's perfectly acceptable for what it is, an 80 proof crowd pleasing mixer that's adaptable for everything from eggnog to on the rocks. This is still the World's best selling Bourbon for a reason and anyone who just wants 'a Bourbon' to fill a slot in their home bar will find this brand suits.

I drank a fair amount of JBW when my whiskey only went in Coke. Switched to EWB when I started drinking whiskey on the rocks. I've found that I just don't care for the JB namesake bourbons whereas I enjoy several of their other brands quite a bit.

My mother-in-law has an 1125ml bottle of Beam White that she keeps at the back of the cupboard 'just for me' when we visit. I've never had the heart to tell her it's not top shelf stuff, but the fact that it's several years old and therefore one of the last 80 proof versions Australia got makes it worth drinking IMO (Australia's versions are now 37% or 74 proof for those who don't know)

She pulled the bottle out for me Easter just gone to make a bourbon and coke, and I stopped her short of putting the coke in... threw in some ice and was pleasantly surprised by it. I don't have any tasting notes, but I remember thinking I wouldn't drink it every day, but I'd happily drink it if it was all that was on offer....

Maybe I'll go pick up an airplane bottle of it for scientific purposes. Last time I had it, it was a small component of a bourbon and ginger at a wedding.

Like others have said, nothing wrong with it as an 80 proofer, other than its price. I'd rather have EWB... it's higher proof, better tasting, and much cheaper to boot.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Im always amazed that age and selection are all that differentiates this from Bookers. Beam should stick to 100+ proof, by my tastes.

My mother-in-law has an 1125ml bottle of Beam White that she keeps at the back of the cupboard 'just for me' when we visit. I've never had the heart to tell her it's not top shelf stuff, but the fact that it's several years old and therefore one of the last 80 proof versions Australia got makes it worth drinking IMO (Australia's versions are now 37% or 74 proof for those who don't know)

She pulled the bottle out for me Easter just gone to make a bourbon and coke, and I stopped her short of putting the coke in... threw in some ice and was pleasantly surprised by it. I don't have any tasting notes, but I remember thinking I wouldn't drink it every day, but I'd happily drink it if it was all that was on offer....

You have 1125 ml bottles. How does your government handle the complex calculations involved in taxing that?

It's perfectly acceptable for what it is, an 80 proof crowd pleasing mixer that's adaptable for everything from eggnog to on the rocks. This is still the World's best selling Bourbon for a reason and anyone who just wants 'a Bourbon' to fill a slot in their home bar will find this brand suits.
Yeah, that's probably the best use for it. I keep it for guests who want to mix with Coke and they're comfortable with the brand as it's familiar to them. I bought a 750ml gift set last fall for around $13-14 that came with two rocks glasses, so it was a no-brainer.

As far as drinking neat, the Kirkland Small Batch that is made by Beam is light-years better and almost the same price. Heaven Hill 6-year BIB is readily available here now and that's even less expensive. I just can't find any other use for the Beam White except for guests who want a well-known brand to mix with.

That's not insignificant to a lot of people. I think Beam is perceived to be a quality brand generically speaking.

I didn't drink it in college but I have had more than enough at company Christmas parties to know that I will never buy a bottle.

Yeah, umm, this...

Tried it one time about a year ago. No way I would ever offer to guests even as a mixer.

Was out of town on business last week and picked up a 2-shot bottle just to have something in the room for the night, no way I would buy a larger bottle of this. Thin and hot is about the only way I can describe it.

You have 1125 ml bottles. How does your government handle the complex calculations involved in taxing that?

By not hiring Americans to do the math...

Me, I have no problem with Beam White, though I never buy it, and rarely drink it. :rolleyes: But, I will say that I do buy the 7 yr white from time to time, and it is understandably much better. The Distiller's Select is better, yet.

The 4 yr is a typical youngish 80 proof whiskey, that is solidly constructed, and pretty much delivers what I would expect. Put another way, I've never had a bad Beam White, and they're good enough at what they do, that I would never expect to ever experience a bad one in the

future.

I don't think it's bad at all Cam, just overpriced for what it is.
As usual, I agree. As such, I've probably only ever bought one bottle. There's cheaper stuff that tastes at least as good, if not better.

What I love about JBW is that no matter where you are you can always count on even the most poorly stocked bar having it and its always consistant.

JBW is not something that I want to drink when I'm in any sort of contemplative mood, but I have yet to see a similar low proofer that "stands up" to ice so well. It amazingly maintains its flavor and viscosity under chilled high dilution. EWB, which I think is far superior neat and with a single ice cube, does not handle higher dilution on the rocks nearly as well. Since I do enjoy my bourbons on the rocks about a third of the time (especially in the summer months), I nearly always have a bottle on hand. Its nowhere near the best bottle I have, but it is well made stuff. If it were priced at the same level of EWB I would probably buy even more.

I love beam whiskies but I don't particularly like this one. It isn't bad, but it isn't good either. Perhaps I just had a bad experience but there are other 80 proofers I'd rather buy or drink. At a bar, I'd rather have JD.

I would have stopped there.

I didn't stop there, because I don't think the stuff is terrible. Perhaps a touch boring, but not terrible.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.