BOTM 6/14: Jim Beam White

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What notes do you get from '80s JB? I just have one late '80s JBB (or black label, as it wasn't officially called "Jim Beam Black" yet) and, like you said, it's nothing like current stuff. I get a profoundly grassy note from it, not only different from current Beam but unlike most any whiskey I've had.

Just noticed this comment. Your impression of the late '80's JBB is like my impression of the '76 Beam's Choice 8yr I found at my parents house. Nothing at all like current Beam, and unlike any current whiskey I've had. Very odd.

I'm with Enoch and flahute. I've sampled JBW from the early 80's, still have a few small 200ml in the bunker, and have had some of those various "3 million month" (or whatever) Beam decanters. There is a real depth and sophistication that is missing from the current stuff. I can see how JBW got its reputation from the older stuff, and I can also see how current shooters/"bourbon and coke" drinkers don't really care.

Just noticed this comment. Your impression of the late '80's JBB is like my impression of the '76 Beam's Choice 8yr I found at my parents house. Nothing at all like current Beam, and unlike any current whiskey I've had. Very odd.

Right? How in the world can those have used the same yeast strain?

• 4 weeks later...

I think most of you that hate Beam products hate them, because you are supposed to hate them. There is no way any of you should have any problem at all with JBW on the rocks tasted blind..neat..maybe 40% of you would drop out the other 60% would find it OK. I had plenty of 70's Decanter Beam in my youth, yeah it was different and great, but what wasn't different and great from back then.

Get your nose out of the air, stop reading blogs and go buy Jim Beam Single Barrel (which is the single barrel JBW maybe +2 years), put it in the freezer. You will like it...maybe even love it. Likely the last post I will have here...so y'all take care.

ive got no problems with Beam stuff, provided it is aged and proofed properly. I find that it has to be over 100 proof and over 7 years old to be good, and then it's great. There's something about the 4 and 8 year stuff at 80 or 86 proof that, while not revolting, doesnt inspire me to ever intentionally reach for any. But, KC seems to be a different animal, as well as KCSB and Booker's and Baker's. I'm not paying the price for 86 proof NAS single barrel, as I expect it to be marginally, if that, better than the regular offerings. I dont consider myself a bourbon snob whatsoever.....Ive seen people in the aisles of the liquor store professing how Beam black is so bad that all Beam products should be written off, and thought they were morons. Every company offers various profiles, and youre surely not going to like every one of them.

I've been a few places where options were extremely limited and had Beam White and was not sad about it. It's OK. Like fox, I won't reach for it in the aisle because there's options at a similar price point that offer more flavor and more importantly, higher proof, which is to my liking. But if there are no other options, or if someone pours me one, I'll gladly enjoy it. It's bourbon after all.

I've been a few places where options were extremely limited and had Beam White and was not sad about it. It's OK. Like fox, I won't reach for it in the aisle because there's options at a similar price point that offer more flavor and more importantly, higher proof, which is to my liking. But if there are no other options, or if someone pours me one, I'll gladly enjoy it. It's bourbon after all.

exactly. when a bunch of my classmates went out to party after graduation, we went to where one of the guys bartended. Since 90% of the class were females, there was a lot of jello shots and pretty stuff flowing, but he made sure to give me bourbon, and most of it was Devils Cut and Beam Black and white. For free, sure, Ill have a few. But, with a number of BIBs for less money, the vote is simple

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are pretty tough on the JBW...

I just bought my first bottle today to drink it neat, And it's not too bad for what it's worth. I have tried the Devils Cut and the JBB 6year, The JBB 6year is the best one of the buch of course, But it's not available at my local liquor store.

JBW seens to taste like an honest bourbon, I have no problem sipping this stuff neat and I don't mind the JB profile at all. Some people say JB tastes like "Funk" but that's just the profile.

I'd buy it again for the price, Don't really feel like making mixed drinks. Too much sugar...I'll just use a glass of water :)

And I prefer it over JD, I fiind the JB has a rounder taste.

Edited by Mr. Bourbon

• 1 month later...

For those who can't taste the Beam funk, try out this sidexside experiment:

1. JBW

2. HH4YO 80

The current versions are very close in taste profile, the HH is just missing the Beam funk (which is funny cause Beams distill it).

In the past (90's), JBW always gave me an "apple juice" flavor profile especially when mixed. I can't say if it does these days (maybe it does?)

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.