Beam Signature Craft Wheated Bourbon + 6 other new labels

Conquistador
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just saw this from the Bourbon Dork.

http://www.bourbondork.blogspot.com/2014/05/jim-beam-signature-crafts-going-all-out.html

7 new bourbons coming out from the Beam Signature Craft line up. Most are age stated 11 year old bourbons, playing with the flavor grain, a la Buffalo Trace's BTEC line. I'm most interested in Beam's take on a wheated bourbon with some age on it. Heck, I'm curious about most of these. I know that Beam doesn't get a lot of love on SB.com, but I got to give them props for taking some risks and giving us some new options. At 11 years of age for almost all of these new bourbons, they've obviously been committed to this for, well, 11 years. :grin:

Very cool!

The high rye is at the top of my list. I bet you that is 11 year old OGD at 90 proof.

I am also interested in the wheat but I don't think it will be good.

I think the most interesting one would be triticale. I heard bad things about brown rice and oat whiskey but has anyone ever tried triticale before? It is a grain that is crossbred with wheat and rye. Higher protein content with less gluten and more starchy. Sounds like it would make a fantastic bourbon!

I'm most interested in Beam's take on a wheated bourbon with some age on it.:

Sounds like an extra aged, 11yr old maker's mark to me

Even at 90 proof, gotta be a winner winner chicken dinner!!

Edited by Phil T

Are these all made and aged in Clermont with the Beam yeast? A wheater made with that yeast strain and aged in Beam warehouses might taste significantly different than Maker's. Likewise, a high rye bourbon made with Beam yeast might be pretty different than Old Grand Dad.

This is great news. I can't wait to read some reviews. I've noticed that Indiana doesn't get anything new until it's been around for a while. I've been starting to see the other Signature Crafts in stores, so I guess that's a good sign. I just hope Beam made enough to go around, and the price isn't crazy. Seriously though, when I see some of these, I might have to pull an Enoch: open one in the parking lot and maybe run back into the store. :lol:

I think the most interesting one would be triticale. I heard bad things about brown rice and oat whiskey but has anyone ever tried triticale before? It is a grain that is crossbred with wheat and rye. Higher protein content with less gluten and more starchy. Sounds like it would make a fantastic bourbon!

Very cool!

The high rye is at the top of my list. I bet you that is 11 year old OGD at 90 proof.

I am also interested in the wheat but I don't think it will be good.

Although just a technicality it appears six of these, the various grain options, are part of a new collection called the "Harvest Bourbon Collection" and only the "Quarter Cask Finished" is part of the Signature Craft line.

Will be interesting to see how much of these are released and how long these last.

Let me first say I'm no expert on triticale; but, I'm confused when you say 'higher protein but with less gluten and more starchy'. I'm pretty sure that the main protein in wheat IS gluten. If it has less gluten, wouldn't that make it lower protein and more starchy?

Although just a technicality it appears six of these, the various grain options, are part of a new collection called the "Harvest Bourbon Collection" and only the "Quarter Cask Finished" is part of the Signature Craft line.

Will be interesting to see how much of these are released and how long these last.

If the labels on the linked article are correct, they do say "Harvest Bourbon Collection" on one side, and "Signature Craft" on the other.

Are these all made and aged in Clermont with the Beam yeast? A wheater made with that yeast strain and aged in Beam warehouses might taste significantly different than Maker's. Likewise, a high rye bourbon made with Beam yeast might be pretty different than Old Grand Dad.

That's my guess. I'd think that they want the Jim Beam name to keep referring to Jim Beam whiskey, and Maker's and OGD have supply problems as is.

Prob $40 same as the 12 yr and finished versions.

Edited by MyOldKyDram

Prob $40 same as the 12 yr and finished versions.

That'd be reasonable. I am guessing $60.

I'm guessing I'll pony up for at least a few, the high rye seems very attractive.

I think these look very promising. I want to try at least the wheat and high rye

I think these look very promising. I want to try at least the wheat and high rye

Also, I'm going to guess that these will be aged MM and OGD. Why recreate the wheel? MM does use "soft red winter wheat" which is awfully similar to what is stated on the Signature Craft label.

https://www.makersmark.com/sections/109-flavor

Whatever they are at 11 years of age they beat the daylights out of these $60 bottles of NDP two year old stuff.

Thanks for the information, something more to add to the shopping list, wonder if they will be readily available.

Best regards,

Tony

The last two Signature Craft releases have been pretty easy to find, so I'm optimistic that these will be as well.

I'm thinking these will be a little harder to find than the current signature bottles just due to the sheer number of new labels.

Excited to try these, assuming they are reasonably priced.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.