Binny's Private Barrels

WhiskyRI
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a friend from Chicago bringing me some whisky - are there any standouts among the Binny's private barrels of bourbon? I noticed they have a multiple different Four Roses recipe barrels and instead of picking blind, I thought I'd try the wisdom of the crowd. Thanks

I bought their OESQ and OBSQ just because I didn't have either of the Q Yeast in my collection. They are both good, but neither stands out like some other four roses barrel picks I have had.

Obviously taste is subjective, but I feel like the majority of people tend to prefer the O_SV and O_SF recipes. There are certainly good selections from the other three yeasts, but maybe success rate is higher with these, or they are more appealing to bourbon junkies. Maybe pick one yeast to try and then get both the high and low rye version of each? So like OBSV and OESV. Or stick to either rye recipe and get a couple different yeast variations, ie OBSV and OBSF. All of the Binny's 4R bottles I have are solid, very nice bourbons. None of them however are outstanding must buys, and who knows if they even have them on shelves anymore.

I was at South Loop last week and they only had a handful of bottles left, all one recipe. I don't remember which one, but it was an OB.

I was at South Loop last week and they only had a handful of bottles left, all one recipe. I don't remember which one, but it was an OB.

We have 10 more on the way. Should be here in the next few weeks. OESK is my favorite from the new bunch.

We have 10 more on the way. Should be here in the next few weeks. OESK is my favorite from the new bunch.

Once received you think they will go up online, or am I gonna have to send my old man in to grab them for me?

Once received you think they will go up online, or am I gonna have to send my old man in to grab them for me?

They will all be online.

I bought their OESQ and OBSQ just because I didn't have either of the Q Yeast in my collection. They are both good, but neither stands out like some other four roses barrel picks I have had.

I got to thinking about this later and realized I made a very broad statement about my favorite bourbon. With Four Roses Barrel Selections being so damn good and so readily available sometimes I find myself drinking nothing but. This leads me to comparing them against each other instead of what I should be comparing them against, and that's everything else. So I go through these spells where I drink nothing but Four Roses Barrel picks and this makes me start to forgot how much better they are than most other things. So now I try to take time off between drinking them and drink some stuff that's a little more ordinary to keep some perspective on how good these truly are. So after a couple weeks of drinking much more ordinary stuff, lately that included a lot of OGD 100 proof and Angels Envy Bourbon. I decided tonight to give the Q's a good thoughtful look with a fresh palette.

I should have wrote down all the info on the labels, but these are both from January of 2014

Binny's OESQ - This is fantastic, After a 2oz snifter I was really wondering why I dismissed so offhandedly before. A huge spicy nose with great long peppery finish, had a nice bit of fruitiness on the mid palate and a touch of mint that runs throughout. Maybe it just needed to be open for a while, but I loved it tonight. Classic Four Roses Barrel Pick.

OBSQ - Now this I found a bit more inline with what I expect of a Q yeast, its a bit strange. Has a big briny nose with a weird bit of spice right up front, almost a touch of pickle and sardines, maybe I'm reaching there but that is the best way to describe it. As it finishes it becomes a bit more standard with a touch of extra heavy tannic oak notes coming through in the end. This one is a bit odd and reminds me a bit of the 2011 LE Single Barrel Wainright so generously shared with me a couple weeks back. Its good in sort of an unusual way, I like the weird complexity of this one, although I wouldn't recommend it over the low rye counterpart to most people.

This just made me realize something I already knew but had taken for granted. You should probably buy every Four Roses Barrel Pick you come across within reason, as they will all pretty much be great in there own special way. Especially when judged against the ordinary.

They will all be online.

If only you guys shipped to Washington State, I'd be all over this. I absolutely love the private barrels from these guys.

Going to have to pick up some Binnys OESK and OBSK - Binnys always has great selections and not too tough to find after they get it.

Just want to laud some especially good customer service that I got from the staff at Binny's. The person spent 15 minutes on the phone with me working hard to find something interesting - and that was before he knew I was on straightbourbon.com. Really great customer service overall and I'm super excited by the bottles I'm having hand-delivered. The whisky hotline really did work. I called and left a message, and got a call back the very next day. If you need a some bourbon, or other whisky, while in Chicago I recommend giving the hotline a try. Can't say enough about the great customer service. For the record I have no affiliation with the store in question - just thought a little positive feedback wouldn't be remiss.

I got to thinking about this later and realized I made a very broad statement about my favorite bourbon. With Four Roses Barrel Selections being so damn good and so readily available sometimes I find myself drinking nothing but. This leads me to comparing them against each other instead of what I should be comparing them against, and that's everything else. So I go through these spells where I drink nothing but Four Roses Barrel picks and this makes me start to forgot how much better they are than most other things. So now I try to take time off between drinking them and drink some stuff that's a little more ordinary to keep some perspective on how good these truly are. So after a couple weeks of drinking much more ordinary stuff, lately that included a lot of OGD 100 proof and Angels Envy Bourbon. I decided tonight to give the Q's a good thoughtful look with a fresh palette.

I should have wrote down all the info on the labels, but these are both from January of 2014

Binny's OESQ - This is fantastic, After a 2oz snifter I was really wondering why I dismissed so offhandedly before. A huge spicy nose with great long peppery finish, had a nice bit of fruitiness on the mid palate and a touch of mint that runs throughout. Maybe it just needed to be open for a while, but I loved it tonight. Classic Four Roses Barrel Pick.

OBSQ - Now this I found a bit more inline with what I expect of a Q yeast, its a bit strange. Has a big briny nose with a weird bit of spice right up front, almost a touch of pickle and sardines, maybe I'm reaching there but that is the best way to describe it. As it finishes it becomes a bit more standard with a touch of extra heavy tannic oak notes coming through in the end. This one is a bit odd and reminds me a bit of the 2011 LE Single Barrel Wainright so generously shared with me a couple weeks back. Its good in sort of an unusual way, I like the weird complexity of this one, although I wouldn't recommend it over the low rye counterpart to most people.

This just made me realize something I already knew but had taken for granted. You should probably buy every Four Roses Barrel Pick you come across within reason, as they will all pretty much be great in there own special way. Especially when judged against the ordinary.

Great notes! A Binny's OBSQ is what introduced me to my favorite bourbon distillery.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the Binnys hand selected bottles are in store?
We hope to have them in stores by the end of the month.

Did you guys get your willett barrels yet?

1 23 year old barrel rolled in while I was on vacation. Of course, it was sold out by the time I returned. Still waiting on the rest. How about yours?

Nothing. I inquired in May after liquor barn received a bunch. I was told 90 days. Not sure if that is "willett time" or actual time.

Nothing. I inquired in May after liquor barn received a bunch. I was told 90 days. Not sure if that is "willett time" or actual time.

In Elizabethtown. 45 min south of Louisville on i65.

We have been waiting nearly 16 months on these barrels. We won't be holding our breath awaiting them.

Not sure if this affects your existing order, but they are saying at the gift shop that the WFE program is officially "on hold" again...

The Binny's Four Roses Private Selections were delivered today to the stores that received the product. All 10 of the Four Roses recipes were selected with a total of 14 barrels in the pick. ( 4 of the recipes had two barrels selected this time ).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.