A BT scarcity rumor...

jmj_203
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I would put up a big sign saying Buffalo Trace is suffering a Nationwide shortage but here's a chance to get some very limited Eagle Rare.

Rolling shortages or stock-outs, seems an appropriate term. The norm around here for the last few months seems to be a couple of BT/Sazerac products on the shelf, and a couple of empty spaces for other of their products. Then, the next thing you know, the empty spots will be full, but what was once on the shelf is now gone. The products I'm speaking of seem to rotate mainly between BT & ER then Weller SR & OWA.

There's some Blanton's, but no ET at all. Even though Weller 12 is supposedly a once a year release now, a couple of bottles of it will pop up here and there occasionally.

At this point, I think BT may just be sending everything to NJ. We are overflowing with BT products.

Some must have fallen off here on its way North - BT 750s are $19.99 in town with boxes in the aisles. Last March, it could not be found.

Was to Total Wine, Lee's and a couple private Liquor stores here this morning. Not one BT product to be found. November at the earliest according to the powers that be. No rumor here in LV.

Come on down, boys! There's plenty here in Tallahassee. And most, if not all, are hand picked barrels. Stay a while and smoke a cigar with us on the porch.:cool:

At this point, I think BT may just be sending everything to NJ. We are overflowing with BT products.

I would say yes, and no. At least in northern NJ, I would say we have plenty of BT, very little ETL, ER10 being depleted, RHF gone (except for the few I found last week...), Blanton's hit or miss, Hancock's seeming depleted.

For me personally, at least with BT, ER10, ETL and Blanton's, I stock up on store selections when they come in, so I always have ample stock around, usually of very good barrels. But if I were to just drop in on a store for some ER10 and ETL, I would not be surprised to come up empty at this time, especially as to ETL.

Come on down, boys! There's plenty here in Tallahassee. And most, if not all, are hand picked barrels. Stay a while and smoke a cigar with us on the porch.:cool:

Dang Jon, it could be argued that all of y'all's barrel picks are the reason there is a shortage in the first place ! :lol:

Some must have fallen off here on its way North - BT 750s are $19.99 in town with boxes in the aisles. Last March, it could not be found.

I guess all that yet to fully mature AAA 10 yr stock had to go somewhere. :hot: I'd grab them by the handful at that price Harry, because they are sure to be hit and miss in the future.

Hmm, I thought BT is low-rye recipe and AA is high-rye recipe, eh?

You are correct (but it sounded good at the time)... :grin:

As far as we know, neither BT recipe can fairly be called 'high rye.' If I had to guess, I would guess that the AA recipe is 12% rye and the BT recipe is 8%. At best they are low and lower.

Mandalay Bay last night. Happy to report multiple BT and Blanton's sightings. It warmed my heart.

Lots and lots of BT here in So Cal, much of it sitting on the shelves of many CVS stores. Other BT products (other than BT itself) are hard to find though. Blantons is also around and WSR, but OWA 107, ER10 and 1792 are getting scarce and the other BT stuff is near nonexistent.

BT stocks have recovered here in No Col over past couple months, but now Weller (SR & OWA) have gone AWOL.

Enough to drive a man to drink.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in a liquor store today chatting with the owner. He said that bourbon is hard to get now, and as an example said that even BT is now allocated by his distributor. He said he asked for 6 bottles, was given 3 and told he would not be getting any more for a while. I pointed out that BT is on the shelf at various CVS stores in the area in great quantity (like 20+ bottles) and priced at 19.99. He was pissed, saying that was less than he buys it for from his distributor and that all the good bourbon is now going to the "big guys" like CVS and Trader Joes. Just a datapoint for the greater discussion.

I will still wait until my stores get their shipments in rather than shop where nobody cares who I am. This situation, too, shall pass.

Was in a liquor store today chatting with the owner. He said that bourbon is hard to get now, and as an example said that even BT is now allocated by his distributor. He said he asked for 6 bottles, was given 3 and told he would not be getting any more for a while. I pointed out that BT is on the shelf at various CVS stores in the area in great quantity (like 20+ bottles) and priced at 19.99. He was pissed, saying that was less than he buys it for from his distributor and that all the good bourbon is now going to the "big guys" like CVS and Trader Joes. Just a datapoint for the greater discussion.

That is a major concern of the smaller stores here in Georgia according to one owner I talked to who is active in the trade association. They are fighting to keep the 2 license maximum and keep the Total Wines, Kroger's, CVS and those types from being able to dominate. Probably a little better for the consumer in terms of getting a broader selection and perhaps even better barrel picks if there is some healthy competition for consumers but not going to help keep prices low on the basic middle and bottom shelfers.

Personally I prefer the smaller stores where there is a at least a chance of building a personal relationship with a store. I will forego the savings of a dollar or two on BT or Evan Williams since it isn't what I buy regularly anyway.

I agree! CVS or Kroger may beat the smaller stores or regular liquor stores by a $1 or $2 on BT or EW, but they aren't going to have as great of a selection or more desirable offerings. I know some of our larger chains in Indiana add tremendous value with barrel selections. The smaller stores can still compete on price because many are members of Co-ops. I have found many interesting things recently from smaller stores...older WTR101, Jeff Rye Canadian NCF. Hopefully, distributors recognize that there is a role for both types of retailers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.