What is in Kentucky that is not in Michigan?

Tony
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

MI is a control state. Stores must order through liquor control board. There is a minimum price but not a maximum price. Our selection is not bad but not that of KY.

I guess I've always miss understood what a control state is.

Our selection is good but a lot of stores only carry the top 3 or so sellers once you get away from bigger cities.

If going to the UP than you better BYOB.

YMMV throughout the state. In the thumb if you want quality whiskey BYOB. Royal Crown is typically the top of the heap if you can get it.

Really?

I don't have a lot of experience traveling up north, but I was in Petoskey for a wedding and the liquor store we went to had Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, Bulleit, and several other reasonable mid and low priced options. Now if you're picky sure bring your own, but it was plenty for us to get through the wedding weekend...

I found a split label in Petoskey once. True story.

But seriously, there are a few decent liquor stores around in bigger cities like Petoskey or Traverse City but nothing on a level with Liquor Barn or even Toddy's. If you need to buy WT, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams or something in that vein, you shouldn't have any trouble. If you're looking for something a little higher on the shelf, it might be a challenge.

Check a map gentlemen. Petoskey is a long way from the thumb. One can't easily confuse the west side of the upper west side of the lower peninsula with the thumb. I'd expect a good whiskey selection on the west side of the state, particularly is high traffic vacation areas.

Check a map gentlemen. Petoskey is a long way from the thumb. One can't easily confuse the west side of the upper west side of the lower peninsula with the thumb. I'd expect a good whiskey selection on the west side of the state, particularly is high traffic vacation areas.
Edited by nd2005

Foureyed fox said they were going "up the western shore and hanging out at the top of the lower peninsula". That sounded Petoskey/Traverse/Bay Harbor esque to me...

If you find AAA 10 year, it will be at an off the beaten path store.

Same with weller 12.

There have been a bunch of NDP releases lately. Duke, and tin cup to name a couple. Unsure of quality or pedigree.

yeah, petoskey area and surrounding areas. found an older label NAS WT101 today, traveler bottle and bought it. nothing special. also saw an ETL i may go back for for a friends bday in september, its his favorite and cant find it in KY anymore

YMMV throughout the state. In the thumb if you want quality whiskey BYOB. Royal Crown is typically the top of the heap if you can get it.

Where in the thumb are you talking?

Almost anywhere North of a line drawn between Bay City and Port Huron.

Are you from there or do you get up there?

Will

Will

Will

yep right in the tip

both rick and nicks and bp have the best selection in the thumb that I've seen

both in bad axe

Back on topic.

Picked up two of the new Willett Rye and a bottle of Heaven Hill Green Label. I also got a case of FRSB because it is $26.65 with my Kroger card in Bardstown and it is $40 in Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

Back on topic.

Picked up two of the new Willett Rye and a bottle of Heaven Hill Green Label. I also got a case of FRSB because it is $26.65 with my Kroger card in Bardstown and it is $40 in Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

Atta boy Tony! Hope it's been a good trip!

I grew up outside of Ruth. I get back about once a year.

I got there more frequently when my parents were alive. Back then the bourbon selection was very bad.

I also got a case of FRSB because it is $26.65 with my Kroger card in Bardstown and it is $40 in Michigan.

4R shows the love to KY, the price difference between KY & MI is odd.

Be sure to go to the gift shops at 4R & WT.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.