Smoky, peaty whisky. Grow to love it?

veedublin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've never been a real big peat fan. But I haven't had many single-malt scotches since getting into bourbon a few years ago. (I like Macallan, but some say that's the most bourbon-like Single Malt there is.) I thought, hmmm, I'm trying more whiskeys, my palate's getting more sophisticated; might be time to get a more peaty, smoky bottle.

I could have gone for something like Laphroaig, but I love High West's other expressions, so I bought a bottle of Campfire.

There was no love. Appreciation, perhaps, and an acknowledgement of high-quality whiskey, but it's not for me.

I think I'll keep trying it every week or so, just in small drams. But I don't see me pouring a healthy glass anytime soon.

I read a few posts about some who didn't like peaty whiskeys initially, but grew to love them.

So, how did your love of peat evolve? What did you start to notice or how did your aversion change to enjoyment?

Because right now, for me, it's like sucking on a bar of cross-country ski wax.

Not sure why this is posted in General Bourbon discussion but anyway...

For me, I didn't like it at first. However it could have been like I had a bad cheeseburger and swore off cheeseburgers altogether. Not all peated whiskies are created equal. Try different peaty whiskies from light to heavy like Highland Park, Springbank, Caol Isla, Talisker, Bowmore, Laphroaig, Ardbeg...etc then you start to gauge whether you really like it or not. Every whisky has a different type of peatiness to them from weak to very strong just like there are different cheeseburgers.

Relocated to the foreign whiskey forum.

Relocated to the foreign whiskey forum.

hmmm... ok.

High West is in Utah, but whatever.

(Campfire was the Whiskey I was talking about.)

But whatever? Welcome to Straightbourbon.

End to end, smoky and peaty describe malts more than American whiskeys.

Is the thread about Campfire specifically or how others got past the offensive peat notes in other whiskeys in order to convince themselves that they were palatable in some way?

(Only partially joking)

I sometimes wonder what it is that I despise so much about scotch, the peat or the barley. I still don't know. But I do know scotch makes me vomit in my mouth a little bit.

It just takes time. Started with Johnnie Black which made Talisker easier, which made Bowmore 12/15 easier, which made Lagavulin 16 easier, which made Ardbeg and Laphoaig awesome.

Your post is about peaty whisky, friend, that's why it is here.

But whatever? Welcome to Straightbourbon.

End to end, smoky and peaty describe malts more than American whiskeys.

Is the thread about Campfire specifically or how others got past the offensive peat notes in other whiskeys in order to convince themselves that they were palatable in some way?

(Only partially joking)

Sorry, didn't mean to be pissy right off the bat. (Only that I was surprised it got moved to "foreign." No biggie.)

Anyway, yeah, kinda. It's not so much about Campfire, specifically, I guess. Really was just curious about those who weren't fans of peaty/smoky characteristics initially, who eventually grew to love it.

When I was a kid, I hated squash. I wish I could remember some epiphany, because I'm sure it would make a great story on the squash forums. But I love it now.

I sometimes wonder what it is that I despise so much about scotch, the peat or the barley. I still don't know. But I do know scotch makes me vomit in my mouth a little bit.

There are more and more American malts coming to market that are 100% barley that are high quality and very tasty. Stranahan's out of CO is what got me hooked.

I'm not a huge peat fan myself, but the Glemo Ealanta is a great pour and in my top 10 for sure. Technically scotch, but drinks like a lightly peated single malt on the bourbon side.

Had Campfire once and swore I'd never drink it again based on my first experience. Guess that means I need to have another go at it. Tastes change; I accept that.

So I'd say it's the peat phenolics that cause that reaction. First time I had Laphroaig 10 I nearly barfed too. Next time hold your breath when you take a sip! :D

Edited by BootsOnTheGround

Welcome to the forums!

I don't have precisely what you're looking for, but I hope my story of how I came to enjoy Scotch whisky helps you. Up until a couple of years ago, I didn't really enjoy whisk(e)y of any variety neat all that much. I always drank it on the rocks. Looking back, I think drinking it neat brought back too many bad memories of college-era downing of shots. 99% of my experience (up until 2012 or so) with brown liquors came from bourbon. A girlfriend with Scottish family had brought back an Aberlour 12 year for me from the motherland in college, but I hadn't cared too much for it. Ten yeas later, I'm at the liquor store and I saw Johnnie Walker Black on sale for $24 or so. I figured I'd try it. I did, and even on the rocks there was a lot going on that I liked. So I proceeded to try Green and Gold, enjoyed them both. Found Cardhu on sale, tried it and liked it. Then, one magical day, a friend bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 and poured me a glass. There was something very different about this, and I did not like it at first. Never did figure out what it was, because by the time I got around to buying my own bottle, I absolutely loved it. For the purposes of this conversation, let us assume it was peat.

Over time, I kept trying various single malts and blends, and I got my bearings in the scotch world. I tried a wide variety of things, and kept coming back to Islay malts. Please bear in mind that I was still putting my whisky on the rocks. One thing that peated Islay malts have over others is that even when they are cold and diluted by way too much ice is FLAVOR. Even under the suppression that ice can cause, I started to identify an earthy, smoky, briny, medicinal flavor accompanied by an oily, lip smacking texture. Over time, I learned this was peat. As I assume many do, I eventually curbed and then totally cut out ice in my scotch (though I still use plenty of water when I think it needs it), but the earthy, smoky, oily, and briny allure of Islay malts remained my absolute favorite. This could be all or at least in part because peat was the first characteristic of scotch that I truly came to recognize and understand, and the feeling of success we all get when we figure something out might have created a tendency to think fondly of the stuff. I also don't always enjoy overly sweet malts (give me a meaty Mortlach over Macallan any day), and Islay malts have a lot going for them besides sweetness. I should also point out that I love food and drink that provokes a visceral reaction. Whether it's the heat from a spicy dish, smoke from BBQ, or the tongue-curdling bitterness of hops, I love it all. Peat seems to scratch that same itch for me.

Or it's all in my head.

Welcome to the forums!

I don't have precisely what you're looking for, but I hope my story of how I came to enjoy Scotch whisky helps you. Up until a couple of years ago, I didn't really enjoy whisk(e)y of any variety neat all that much. I always drank it on the rocks. Looking back, I think drinking it neat brought back too many bad memories of college-era downing of shots. 99% of my experience (up until 2012 or so) with brown liquors came from bourbon. A girlfriend with Scottish family had brought back an Aberlour 12 year for me from the motherland in college, but I hadn't cared too much for it. Ten yeas later, I'm at the liquor store and I saw Johnnie Walker Black on sale for $24 or so. I figured I'd try it. I did, and even on the rocks there was a lot going on that I liked. So I proceeded to try Green and Gold, enjoyed them both. Found Cardhu on sale, tried it and liked it. Then, one magical day, a friend bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 and poured me a glass. There was something very different about this, and I did not like it at first. Never did figure out what it was, because by the time I got around to buying my own bottle, I absolutely loved it. For the purposes of this conversation, let us assume it was peat.

Over time, I kept trying various single malts and blends, and I got my bearings in the scotch world. I tried a wide variety of things, and kept coming back to Islay malts. Please bear in mind that I was still putting my whisky on the rocks. One thing that peated Islay malts have over others is that even when they are cold and diluted by way too much ice is FLAVOR. Even under the suppression that ice can cause, I started to identify an earthy, smoky, briny, medicinal flavor accompanied by an oily, lip smacking texture. Over time, I learned this was peat. As I assume many do, I eventually curbed and then totally cut out ice in my scotch (though I still use plenty of water when I think it needs it), but the earthy, smoky, oily, and briny allure of Islay malts remained my absolute favorite. This could be all or at least in part because peat was the first characteristic of scotch that I truly came to recognize and understand, and the feeling of success we all get when we figure something out might have created a tendency to think fondly of the stuff. I also don't always enjoy overly sweet malts (give me a meaty Mortlach over Macallan any day), and Islay malts have a lot going for them besides sweetness. I should also point out that I love food and drink that provokes a visceral reaction. Whether it's the heat from a spicy dish, smoke from BBQ, or the tongue-curdling bitterness of hops, I love it all. Peat seems to scratch that same itch for me.

Or it's all in my head.

Now that's a response to the OP well worth the price of admission. Welcome veedublin and well done GB!

There are plenty of unpeated scotches out there. Should be able to narrow it down pretty easily if you have the inclination.

There are plenty of unpeated scotches out there. Should be able to narrow it down pretty easily if you have the inclination.

Boots got me started on a google wild goose chase.. Above he mentioned Glenmo Eleanta, so I started there. Looks like it's a rare one that is impossible to find so that's not really an option.

So then I googled for "scotch for bourbon lovers" and low and behold, the first hit is a Cowdery blog from a few years ago. He was touting Glenrothes 1995 Vintage, saying it's like Weller 12. That's starting to sound good to me, but it also looks like it's a $100 bottle. And it may or may not be hard to find as well. In the comments of that post someone mentioned Glenmo original, and Chuck agreed. So that seemed like a nice place for me to experiment, until...

I went over to the website of a local whiskey bar (to see if they had it for a taste), and they listed Glenmo original in a section of whiskies that are lighter and not peaty at all. Again, sounds good, until I see they also listed Glenlivet 12 in that section, which is the scotch that makes me vomit in my mouth.

I've had that one bottle of Glenlivet 12 for four years because I can't tolerate it; I have two relatives who both live in NYNJ that drink it when they visit. I hope they finish it soon so I can replace it. But with what?...

I want the scotch that most resembles bourbon... Or, maybe I should say, I want to buy a bourbon-like scotch that I will try and if I hate it I won't drink it but at least I will have a scotch on hand for those who want scotch.

Boots got me started on a google wild goose chase.. Above he mentioned Glenmo Eleanta, so I started there. Looks like it's a rare one that is impossible to find so that's not really an option.

So then I googled for "scotch for bourbon lovers" and low and behold, the first hit is a Cowdery blog from a few years ago. He was touting Glenrothes 1995 Vintage, saying it's like Weller 12. That's starting to sound good to me, but it also looks like it's a $100 bottle. And it may or may not be hard to find as well. In the comments of that post someone mentioned Glenmo original, and Chuck agreed. So that seemed like a nice place for me to experiment, until...

I went over to the website of a local whiskey bar (to see if they had it for a taste), and they listed Glenmo original in a section of whiskies that are lighter and not peaty at all. Again, sounds good, until I see they also listed Glenlivet 12 in that section, which is the scotch that makes me vomit in my mouth.

I've had that one bottle of Glenlivet 12 for four years because I can't tolerate it; I have two relatives who both live in NYNJ that drink it when they visit. I hope they finish it soon so I can replace it. But with what?...

I want the scotch that most resembles bourbon... Or, maybe I should say, I want to buy a bourbon-like scotch that I will try and if I hate it I won't drink it but at least I will have a scotch on hand for those who want scotch.

If you're unsure of the entirety of scotch malts, I would highly suggest you try before you buy. Depending on what you hate about scotch whisky, you are going to have some difficulty finding one that hits the same flavor buttons as bourbon. Most of your sweeter scotch whiskies are going to be from the highlands and lowlands, but a large number of them will be aged at least partially in ex-sherry barrels, which lends sweetness, but also adds flavors you may not like. Almost zero scotch whiskies are aged exclusively (or at all) in brand new barrels, so the barrel engagement you're used to just isn't going to be there. I'd second Glenmorangie Original (very different from Glenlivet, which tends to be characterized by sour green fruit flavors), or Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or if you can find it on sale. You could also look into some Single Grain offerings, or Compass Box Delilah (semi-rare, but still readily available where I live).

I cannot do Talisker because of the band-aid, iodine, medicinal stuff. However I love me some Lagavulin 16! Go figure.

I cannot do Talisker because of the band-aid, iodine, medicinal stuff. However I love me some Lagavulin 16! Go figure.
Talisker 18 is one of my favorite malts under $100. Not sure I love it at $150, though.

I had the opposite experience of many. I couldn't stand the taste of single malts until I tried Ardbeg 10. It was love at first taste for me. Since then, I've gradually grown to appreciate non-peated malts. Laphroaig 10 is my favorite, but it's usually a "love it or hate it" kind of dram.

My wife has always loved scotch, particularly Lagavulin 16, but only recently (last five years) developed a taste for bourbons. I can't handle heavily peated scotches and don't particularly care for really old bourbons, but any bourbon under, say, 12, and especially if it's high rye, at or above 90 proof is just fine. For some reason, I added Irish whiskies and some lowland scotches to my shelves. This is a relatively recent addition. Ten years ago, it was bourbon, rye, wheat whiskey or nothing. (Well, wine, gin, beer were ok, too.)

Why the changes? Is a puzzlement.

It was around for maybe a month before Jim Murray named it "Whiskey of the Year" and then it up and vanished like fart in the wind. I paid $94 on the shelf for mine. Still have half a bottle. I love the stuff, crave it in fact.

After awhile, bourbon just kinda tastes like candy corn with carmel and vanilla to me. It's hard to find anything with any real depth that's relatively cheap. And rye is no help either because it's even more sweet often with wonky phenolics and weird watermelon stuff that sort of irritates me.

So that leaves some kick ass malt. Yea, barley. Beer, baby!

Glemo is a good start as I think of them as a crowd-pleasing company.

Could also try some Highland Park 12 which is pretty cheap and approachable.

Huge fan of Macallan Cask if you can find some.

Again, more and more distilleries coming on line all over. The next malt on my radar is Westland out of Seattle.

Of course Balcones is 100% corn and a very welcomed departure from the bourbon world. No accident they've won multiple awards on their products....cause they make kick ass whiskey and don't seem to give two shits how old it is or any other pretentious nonsense.

Send me a PM, I swap samples all the time.

I'm strange in that the first scotch I really enjoyed was Laphroaig (although it was the first single malt I had tried as well). For me, the peat/smoke was what I loved about it, because it was entirely different from my bourbon or rye. I actually have struggled the other way. The next dozen single malts I tried didn't really strike a chord because they felt like a shadow of that first experience. I would echo the recommendation of Highland Park 12 as a good place to start at a fair price.

I find peat to be just another facet to enjoy. Some like it, some don't. You don't have to like peat to be a whiskey drinker or scotch drinker by any stretch. To me, peat is best shown through the balance in well crafted malts like Lagavulin or Highland Park. However, it was very trendy during the last decade and there seemed to be a push for peatier expression just to push the envelope. I didn't enjoy many of those as much. I often liken the the peat push of the 00's to the hop push in craft beer. I'm not a big fan of the hop-explosion beers either. I look for balance or interesting characteristics in all whiskey. Not so much just shock and awe.

Talisker 18 is one of my favorite malts under $100. Not sure I love it at $150, though.

Sadly, Diageo has ended the era of Talisker 18 under $100 as far as I can tell. Best price I've seen locally is $120.

The only younger peaty Scotch I really enjoy is Talisker 10. Most of the others I find rather monotonous. I either prefer them older (e.g. I much prefer Laphraoig 18 to the 10) where age seems to mellow the peat and lets some other flavours come out to play, or I like peaty whiskeys which get some time in sherry casks (Ardbeg Ugeadail gets my vote over the Ardbeg 10; Talisker Distiller's Edition gets finished in Amoroso Sherry Casks; Lagavulin Distiller's edition gets time in PX cask; Bowmore Darkest and its cask strength version Laimrig gets finished in oloroso casks) as it adds interesting fruit flavours to balance the peat and smoke.

I'm somewhere in the middle as far as smokey. I enjoy sherried peat so enjoy things like Lag, but Laph and even Bowmore and Talisker, at least the younger releases, are not to my liking. I do enjoy the briny style scotches like Laddie and Springbank but it's my wife that digs the heavy peat... crazy woman.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.