Smoky, peaty whisky. Grow to love it?

veedublin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I think it may take you some time to appreciate the peaty and smokier scotches. I don't mind a little peat and smoke, however there are some days where I've been known to crave it and taste a few bottles. It's taken more a couple of years to appreciate it, mind you I still don't reach for that flavor profile. The Lagavulin 16 is very popular but I've never really enjoyed it, I much prefer the the Ardbeg Ugeadail. I really taste the peat with sweet flavor in it. I also have a bottle of the Talisker Speakeasy K&L and Kilchoman Machir Bay which, both of which is nice with a moderate amount of peat and smoke. You might want to give Bunnahabhain a try. Although the whisky is from Islay, I find it's got the brine but with minimal peat and smoke.

I read a few posts about some who didn't like peaty whiskeys initially, but grew to love them. So, how did your love of peat evolve? What did you start to notice or how did your aversion change to enjoyment? Because right now, for me, it's like sucking on a bar of cross-country ski wax.

Sorry - I liked the peated stuff from the start - but that doesn't mean I like them all equally.

I have found that I like the profile of Laphroaig better than Ardbeg. And within Laphroaig, I prefer the 18 year - or the Quarter Cask. But these are the heavy hitters of the mainstream Islays and maybe you should try something a bit less in your face to start...

I've enjoyed Lagavulin 16, but lately find an ashy note that I'm not crazy about given the price. I far prefer Caol Ila 12 - probably my favorite Islay. And I have a bottle of cask strength Caol Ila 7yo from Binny's right now that is incredible. (to me, anyway)

I like the Laddie 10 - which is supposed to be unpeated, but my taste buds sure get peat from it. And I also like Kilchoman's Machir Bay - pretty young stuff, but so nicely balanced.. but you get the idea.

I would suggest not judging your like or dislike of peated Scotch (which is only one part of the many Scotch profiles) based on HW Campfire.

When you get a chance, try an Islay at a bar or from a friend and you might be surprised at how different it is from what you expect. And if you still don't like it - no problem - it's just another step in your on-going whisky exploration...

Thanks, all. Fun and interesting responses.

Yah, tasting Campfire was what prompted me to write the original post, but you're right: I guess I need to try more Islays to expand my palate, and be more discerning.

That said, how many peat lovers out there also like Campfire? Would you say it's earned its place in your liquor cabinet? Or is it a novelty?

To that, I wonder if the peaty/smoky flavor of this particular expression maybe tastes "inauthentic"... (Like when Homer Simpson adds Liquid Smoke as the final ingredient to his patented Moon Waffles.)

Learning. Always learning.

I've had Campfire once or twice. It's pretty good, but I wouldn't call it representative of Islay peat. I think they were going for mostly smoky, and tried to avoid briny/salty/phenolic flavors.

To that, I wonder if the peaty/smoky flavor of this particular expression maybe tastes "inauthentic"... (Like when Homer Simpson adds Liquid Smoke as the final ingredient to his patented Moon Waffles.)

That said, how many peat lovers out there also like Campfire? Would you say it's earned its place in your liquor cabinet? Or is it a novelty?

I have a bottle, and while I don't often find myself in the mood for what it offers - when I am in that mood, it is the only thing that delivers. I wouldn't use the term "novelty", but I think it is a unique pour - along the same lines as Angel's Envy Rye (not that the two taste anything alike, but that they are both fairly unique without something really similar on the shelves).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.