Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi All,

I was out this weekend at a local spot and had a pour of their OFBB 2013, wow. This was so great, I wish I could buy 2 bottles.

Does anyone know when this gets released (Before or after September 2nd) and who is known to get allocations in the Chicago area?

Thanks,

I have been drinking OFBB since the early 2000s, and there have been some really good ones over the years, 2005 and 2010, stand out the most......until 2013. 2013 OFBB was a great bourbon. They are not all that level, most of the time they are very good at best. If you see one from any year I would buy it, they are usually always very good.

They usually start showing up on shelves around the beginning of October down here.

Echo that they are typically very good, but I'm disappointed that the price has been steadily increasing recently. It moved from the "must buy" column to the "must try first" column in my book.

It is a solid bourbon every year. It's the only age stated bourbon available from Brown Foreman and it is 12 years old.

And price increases from BF are as regular as any producer in the business.

And price increases from BF are as regular as any producer in the business.

Maybe they just punish Atlanta :lol: I can't think of any other labels that have gone up at the rate this one has. It was $35 in 2011, $40 in 2012, $45 in 2013 - nearly a 30% uptick in two years. That's significantly more than the increase I've seen for most everything else (even BTAC hasn't gone up at that clip - yet). I'm expecting it to be $50 this year if the trend continues. While it is a solid bourbon - no argument there (I've never tried a "bad one") - the variability from year to year don't make it an auto-buy at $45 or $50 for me.

Maybe they just punish Atlanta :lol: I can't think of any other labels that have gone up at the rate this one has. It was $35 in 2011, $40 in 2012, $45 in 2013 - nearly a 30% uptick in two years. That's significantly more than the increase I've seen for most everything else (even BTAC hasn't gone up at that clip - yet). I'm expecting it to be $50 this year if the trend continues. While it is a solid bourbon - no argument there (I've never tried a "bad one") - the variability from year to year don't make it an auto-buy at $45 or $50 for me.

You're lucky to have those (relatively) reasonable prices in GA. The last two bottles I bought ('13 both) cost me $55 each. :bigeyes: I hated to pay that; but having tasted the '13, I was willing to bite the bullet and choke back my resentment. So I coughed up the cheese. It is a damned fine pour; but may be at the limit I'll pay. If it goes up a buck or two, I may cave... If it goes up $5 again, I may just pass it up.

After hearing that last year's release was good I tried but couldn't get a bottle.

Other MI people did get some but they were in the Detroit area.

The 2014 4R1B LE was in MI but only in Detroit Metro, so I am wondering with the bourbon shortage if OFBB is only distributed in the 313 area.

Last year was the first year in a long time that I couldn't find a bottle. I knew where some were but I was too lazy to drive far enough to pick one up. The bourbon boom has really hit this release hard. A few years ago, you couldn't give the stuff away now it's harder to find than Handy.

It's officially released on George Gavin Brown's birthday in September every year hence the name.

The OFBB may be my favorite limited release series. It was still $35 a bottle in Houston, which I consider an amazing bargain. The 2013 is right up there on my all time favorites list.

Yep, this came out right around labor day last year. I was able to pick up 3 bottles of the 2013, now down to 1.5 bottles... It went from about $40 to $50 around me from '12 to '13. The reality is, in this day and age, $50 for a premium bourbon is still a pretty good deal. Hopefully it stays around $50 this year, but realistically, I'd pay a bit more assuming the buzz is positive.

Sept 2 is his B-day and I remember seeing it within a week or so of it last year. Comes and goes pretty quickly, but not impossible to find. Actually bought one online for $35 (yep, that was pure luck).

$50 would be my max because OF Sig 100 is less than half the price. Confirmation bias aside, do a blind SBS between the two and see which one you choose. I did it a few times against the 2013 ed and actually chose the Sig 100. The nose on the 2013 is absolutely lovely, though.

Agree with that. I think we sometimes overlook standards like Old Forester Signature because they're usually available and don't appear to be anything special, no fancy bottle, cork stopper, etc. Put them in a blind tasting though and we may be reminded why they have been around for so long.

Well, the interesting question for the '13 OFBB is what value one places on the nose, as compared to the taste. That is, this bourbon has the most remarkable nose that I have ever experienced with a bourbon. It truly wafts throughout an entire room when opened. I will grant that as far as taste, I might choose another bourbon over it SBS (even OF Sig possibly), but that nose sure is worth the price of admission IMHO. And for better or worse, there is surely more age on the OFBB compared to the OF Sig.

I'll bet right now my price will be $60 - $70 and I'll buy at least one. Can't remember what I paid last year

Agree with that. I think we sometimes overlook standards like Old Forester Signature because they're usually available and don't appear to be anything special, no fancy bottle, cork stopper, etc. Put them in a blind tasting though and we may be reminded why they have been around for so long.

Give me a great nose on a bourbon and I will show you a great bourbon. Smell and taste are intricately woven together.

Amen to that Squire. Second night in a row that I am absolutely enjoying a couple pours of OF Sig, well this fourth pour is better than the first three.

Give me a great nose on a bourbon and I will show you a great bourbon. Smell and taste are intricately woven together.
True story. I loved the OFBB13's nose, but I felt it needed a bit of water for it to really open up when I tasted it. With water, VANILLA!/cognac notes turned into amazingly balanced vanilla, caramel, and butterscotch. Nice creamy mouthfeel, too.

Thanks gang,

To me OFBB had that recognizable "thing". That thing I could not describe the first time I had Papp's and the BTAC last fall. There is something in those hard-to-find labels, it's a sweetness, darkness, chewiness, antiqueness, leather, and wood thing that happens in some bourbon when all the elements align--it's not in all bourbon. I would love to score a bottle of OFBB, WLW, or GTS this year, but I refuse to play the game. I often tell myself I'm not going to taste the rare good ones because every time I do, I want some. Life is less painful when you drink what's in stock.

Thanks for the knowledge.

That "thing" is commodity fetishism. You should know all about that Guy... :grin:

Thanks gang,

To me OFBB had that recognizable "thing". That thing I could not describe the first time I had Papp's and the BTAC last fall. There is something in those hard-to-find labels, it's a sweetness, darkness, chewiness, antiqueness, leather, and wood thing that happens in some bourbon when all the elements align--it's not in all bourbon.

Its a little hard to find around here, but the Old Forester Signature is one of my favorites. Its one standby that has never let me down.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.