Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can't say I am surprised with the increase. Brown foreman price increases are like clockwork. Can't blame them for taking a bigger increase on a limited bourbon during this craze.

Grumble...grumble. We all knew this was gonna happen. And now you get to drop $60 blind because it will insta sell-out.

Even if it is really nice bourbon, I'll be passing. I don't blame them for taking advantage of the bourbon craze - they're out to make as much money as possible, that's capitalism. But if I have $60 burning a hole - I'd rather reward those who aren't increasing their prices at breakneck speed (and are still making plenty of money).

Removing age statements and lowering proof are ways to add to bottom line. Everyone in the bourbon game is increasing the bottom line in one way or another. Whether it is quarterly price increases or a big lump at one time, they all do it.

Its not landing in KY for a few more weeks. I will be curious to see how much we get. If its like other limited editions, it will be half as much as last year.

I would rather see them bump the price up a little bit then to lower the proof or lower the quality. Most distillers are dropping the age, dropping the proof, to make the bottom line look better.

Which is also bullshit. Makers tried that and now suddenly they are able to offer a cask strength version? These guys are taking advantage of you.

I would rather see them bump the price up a little bit then to lower the proof or lower the quality. Most distillers are dropping the age, dropping the proof, to make the bottom line look better.
I agree, for the most part. Can't have it all. The OFBB13 was my favorite bourbon of last year, period (especially with some time and water). I would have paid $60 for it in retrospect (just like I have paid $60 for ECBP and don't regret it), but part of the attraction of it was that it was pretty reasonably priced. My major concern with OFBB series going up in price is that they appear to be far less consistent year to year in quality compared to other limited releases. $60 plus possible store markup puts those in the same league as the BTAC, which gives me pause. I think my next bourbon purchase is going to be an OFSig, since others seem to be enjoying it so much. I haven't had it in years; definitely not since I started drinking bourbon to actually taste it. Wouldn't hurt to see if what I loved about OFBB13 is present there. Save myself some pocket change.

Which is also bullshit. Makers tried that and now suddenly they are able to offer a cask strength version? These guys are taking advantage of you.

Cannot agree with you more on this. When I told my wife about the cask strength her first comment was about them trying to water it down a touch.

I revisited my '13 OFBB last night, and I have to say that if it could be had for $60 I'd buy it at that price in a heartbeat. As others have said, it really has a great great nose. Obviously whether the '14 will match is unknown, but I'm inclined to give it a shot.

Give me a great nose on a bourbon and I will show you a great bourbon. Smell and taste are intricately woven together.

For me the OFBB '13 is one of the better bottles in the bunker. The nose, flavor, balance and finish are all top notch. While I can think of pours I do like better- not many are in the price range I (got lucky) paid for these. I do wish we had been getting the Weller 12yo out here, as that is about the only thing near the price that hangs with it. I know it's wheater vs rye grains, but wowza good stuff!

If it helps availability I too plan to pass this year with the bump in $$. There are other OF expressions I will go after first (Sig.).

I wondered about this as well when it was announced however, the amount of CS wouldn't put the slightest dent in their overall output so I am not convinced the "shortage" was BS. Glad for the MM fans though that the proof was restored, now that little move was most certainly BS.

Cannot agree with you more on this. When I told my wife about the cask strength her first comment was about them trying to water it down a touch.

I wondered about this as well when it was announced however, the amount of CS wouldn't put the slightest dent in their overall output so I am not convinced the "shortage" was BS. Glad for the MM fans though that the proof was restored, now that little move was most certainly BS.
I think you may have meant to post in the MM Cask Strength thread . . .

I was referencing post #37, slight tangent and now back to OFBB.

I think you may have meant to post in the MM Cask Strength thread . . .

Interested in some tasting notes. Seems to take awhile to get to FL. Id like to know if its worth the hunt. Ended up with 4 bottles of the 13. I found it pretty top notch for $40.

Interested in some tasting notes. Seems to take awhile to get to FL. Id like to know if its worth the hunt. Ended up with 4 bottles of the 13. I found it pretty top notch for $40.

FORTY BUX!!!??? I wish it were so reasonable in Michigan. It's been going up $5 a year for the last several years... to the point last year a bottle ran $55!!! It was excellent stuff, and I'm not sorry I grabbed a few; but the release can pretty variable, so I'm debating whether or not to pursue any this time around.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.