BOTM 8/14: Blanton's

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Who'da thunk it? I'm early for a change. Surprise, surprise! :cool:

I decided to go with Blanton's this month for a few of reasons. One, it hasn't been BOTM in a while. Two, my brother/family presented me a bottle for my birthday. Three, I recently had the chance to sample some Blanton's at a tasting. FWIW, the tasting I mention, is a "guys" weekly spirits/cigars/hors d'oeuvres affair, hosted by a place near where I live. I haven't had Blanton's in a while, and sadly, I forgot how good it was. The samples I had a couple of weeks ago actually prompted me to open my birthday bottle. Darned good. As a side note here, Paul brought a bottle of Blanton's more than once to share at the gazebo for the Sampler and KBF. The bottles he brought were great. The samples I had, and the bottle I opened are just as good.

Rather than bore y'all with any more of my ramblings about Blanton's, I thought I'd use Jeff's post from when Blanton's was the BOTM back in July of 07. Here ya' go. Have fun, and happy posting.

Cheers! Joe

Any member of Straightbourbon.com who has been enjoying the fruits of bourbon whiskey for any amount of time has surely noticed a shift in product selection on the shelf of your favorite liquor store. Where once the selection consisted primarily of "house brands", Jim Beam, Ancient Age, Wild Turkey, etc., now, from these same distilleries, we are offered a plethora of fine single-barrel and small-batch bottlings. Higher quality products, with higher prices to boot. Many credit Jim Beam with starting this frenzy, with the release of the Small Batch collection. But let's look a little further back to the advent of the first single barrel bourbon on the market, and this month's BOTM, Blanton's.

Created by Elmer T. Lee in honor of Col. Albert Blanton, Blanton's is true bourbon royalty. Well-balanced and full-flavored, the bourbon is quite deserving of it's elaborate packaging. Another, or rather the first, fine offering from the great folks at Buffalo Trace. Let's share a drink of Blanton's, the bourbon that started it all.

:893drillsergeant-thSounf off:893drillsergeant-th

Joe, I'm pissed that you're early....:D

The older I get, and the more bourbons I try, the more appreciation I have gained for this whiskey. Truly, an elegant pour. Beautiful nose, with a silkiness over the palate that separates it from most others. I'm not ashamed to admit that I also love the packaging. And yes, I'll pay extra for it, particularly when I feel the whiskey inside is worthy of it. To my tastes, Blanton's does that. Being the same mash bill as ETL, and knowing that I adore ETL, I would still take an offer of Blanton's over it every time. Interestingly, I probably wouldn't have said this a couple of years back. But, the more time that I have spent contemplating it, the more I embrace its greatness. If I were asked to provide a couple of examples of the best that American whiskey has to offer, Blanton's would make that list.

Edited by smokinjoe

One of the first premium bottles I bought when new to bourbon. Not going to lie, the packaging drove the purchase, but the smooth balanced taste and finish made me happy I took the risk.

Haven't purchased a bottle in probably a year, the few times I had the itch for it a lack of stock prevented me.

When I describe what bourbon tastes like to someone new, ETL and Blanton's taste profile are what I tend to describe.

The finest that warehouse H has to offer! When Blanton's first hit the market, I really felt that we were being asked to pay the premium price for the "package". The product was good, but at the time, so were many others for much less $.

As the years have passed, we have witnessed many high dollar "Johnny come latelys" flood the market. Sadly, more more often than not, they are less than stellar products, all dolled up in pretty packages, with no real pedigree other than self professed smoke and mirror BS.

My feelings have evolved over time and I now feel that Blanton's has stood the test of time and deserves its high regard. You know what you are getting and where it comes from every time! A fine pour, from a fine house, at what is now a fair price in todays market.

Damnit! 4-5 months ago, I had concluded that while nice, this bourbon wasn't interesting enough to warrant the price. Now it's BOTM. I'm still a newb, working my way through all the different house styles and their variants. Is it possible I came to a conclusion to quickly on this one? You're going to make go out and buy another bottle, aren't you?

I am a big fan of both the Single Barrel Special Reserve and the Original Private Reserve. For what you get in the bottle, I think its really good value for money, and that's coming from an Australian! Its one of those pours that I find myself reaching for if I am not sure what mood I am in as it pretty much always hits the spot. I also usually try and steer some friends towards it as pretty good gateway bourbon away from Beam/Turkey & Coke and something into a genuine sipper.

I have also tried the Gold Edition, but do not own a bottle, and from what I remember of the tasting, I think I do prefer the Original Private over it anyway. And I am looking forward to getting some Barrel Proof if I can find it in Japan in a few months.

Damnit! 4-5 months ago, I had concluded that while nice, this bourbon wasn't interesting enough to warrant the price. Now it's BOTM. I'm still a newb, working my way through all the different house styles and their variants. Is it possible I came to a conclusion to quickly on this one? You're going to make go out and buy another bottle, aren't you?

Well, Blanton's creates a bit of a quandary for some. At $50, while it isn't ridiculously expensive, it also ain't cheap. Then, just within the BT family, you've got BT which is quite good at $25, and ER10 and ETL that are quite good at $30. There's also plenty of competition at $50 or less from the other producers, HH, FR, etc. Blanton's doesn't offer up tremendous age or proof.

But all that said, IMHO Blanton's is a very solid bourbon that is somewhat worth the premium price, smooth and flavorful, and certainly a standby that one should be proud to offer at their home. I may just get up off my behind and pick up another bottle or two of a store selected barrel that I enjoy, but never bought backups.

Blanton's was my first premium pour in 2001. I call it "The Mothership". I may go elsewhere, and I have. I always return. I just wish it were more available.

I like all the BT mash bill #2 brands: Ancient Age, Elmer, Blanton's, Rock Hill. I used to think Blanton's was just a little pricey. On the other hand, it remains relatively available, and the price has stayed about the same. I sure wouldn't turn down a pour. I wouldn't mind trying the export only versions either.

I enjoy blantons. It's my go to of the 2nd BT mash bill bourbons, mainly because it's the only one almost always available. I don't but it often, but usually enjoy it when I do.

havent had it in a while.....from what I remember, I enjoyed the nose, mouthfeel, and taste, but the aftertaste fell short far too quickly....which left you with a dilemma: stop drinking it and move onto something else, or avoid the short aftertaste by keeping on drinking it and getting f#@ked up. The price ultimately pushed me toward the former. While good, I think if this was in a regular 'ol bottle, it would be properly priced at $35, not $50-55.

That said, I would without a doubt buy a 'straight from the barrel' barrel proof version of this if I saw it while vacationing overseas.

I really like Blanton's. At it's old price of around $50 I only purchased a bottle once, maybe twice a year.

Now that the price has gone up to close to $60 a bottle (coupled with the fact that it is increasingly hard to find) I can't see any reason to purchase it should I even come across a bottle. There are too many as good if not better bourbons out there for half its current price. :(

I had a Blanton's nightcap at a cafe overlooking the Seine in Paris. I had to show the waiter the listing on the menu! Really enjoyed it. Two nights later I asked for it again but they said they were out. It's on my buy list, if nothing else it will remind me of a nice night in Paris.

I remembered a 'new' (unopened) bottle that's been sitting behind a few other things in my bunker when I saw Blanton's is BOTM.

I said to myself; "Self, get that sucka down and crack it open!" I have not had a bottle of Blanton's open for about 4-months. I remembered it as being refined, balanced and a bit 'oily' on the palate. This one is a bit underwhelming on the nose (a disappointment, since I love the nose of good Bourbon). BUT, once into the old pie-hole... welllllll, .....right in the groove! A nearly perfectly balanced and delicately nuanced profile, with a 'silky' mouthfeel (tip of the hat to Smokinjoe); worthy of the reputation and the price. ....And, the finish: WOW! Just what I remembered. Very nice pour! I shall revisit in a few days now that a few pours have let in a little air. I bet the nose comes up bigtime. Hope so.

I really like Blanton's. At it's old price of around $50 I only purchased a bottle once, maybe twice a year.

Now that the price has gone up to close to $60 a bottle (coupled with the fact that it is increasingly hard to find) I can't see any reason to purchase it should I even come across a bottle. There are too many as good if not better bourbons out there for half its current price. :(

Yowsers!

$60?

It was $40 here for quite some time (TotalWine and Costco) and I would buy it because I think it is an excellent pour. But now that it is the same price ($50 at TotalWine) as Bookers I go for the Bookers EVERY time.

Blanton's was my gateway drug into the world of higher-end bourbon. Yeah, I'd had the basic stuff and didn't mind them but why would I go out of my way to have some bourbon when I've got some outstanding beers available. Then my brother-in-law poured us all a glass while we were sitting on the front porch of a house we'd rented while on vacation. Wow. Simply wow. Wonderful balance - the alcohol was there but not overpowering. It was sweet but not too sweet. It was perfect.

That was several years ago and despite my tastes developing as I experience a wider variety of bourbons, I still rank Blanton's high on my list. The balance it strikes is simply perfect. I'm dying for a Straight From the Barrel as that's about the only thing I wish was different (higher proof). It's my wife's "time to celebrate" bourbon and on my short list, mainly because it's consistently a high quality bourbon, bottle after bottle.

From the mashbill thread, I've grabbed Rock Hill Farms since it had the same mashbill and while there was some resemblance, I guess there's just something about Warehouse H that just turns BT #2 into liquid magic.

It's gone up quite a bit around here and availability has gone down as well. About a year ago, it could be had for $39.99-$54.99. I did see some at Sam's Club recently for $48, but most places are above $50 and even as high as $59.99. It's certainly a fantastic pour, but not something I buy on a regular basis.

Ah perfect timing. I just bought my first bottle last week here in MN at Total Wine for $45. It's my 60th birthday (today) and we are cracking that baby open this Saturday night. Happy Birthday to me!! I've always wanted to try some, I will report back. I also bought a bottle of Elmer T that magically showed up on their shelves too. Elmer T was my favorite, but maybe that will change.

Happy B-day!

I have NEVER seen Elmer on a shelf!

I had some in a bar in Wyoming and it was wonderful so I really am anxious to buy a bottle.

I just took a look at the BOTM and found it was for Blanton's. Funny that was my pour of choice last night. It has always been one of my go to bottles when I don't want to over think what I should have have.

However the bottle I have now has not been my favorite one, that is the chance you get when you buy single barrels.

I have nine empty bottles laying around and the one I have now just is has not been my favorite.

So what am I doing about it?

I am trying to finish it as fast as I can so I can go out an get a new one, in hopes that I like it better.

Blanton's was my first high end Bourbon and is still a favorite. Fortunately I heard about the different horses and searched and procured all eight before prices started to go up, so the bunker is well stocked.

I would gladly complain about the price, if there was any to be found on local shelves. Bare, empty. Devoid of not only Blanton's, but all things Buffalo Trace.

I am trying to finish it as fast as I can so I can go out an get a new one, in hopes that I like it better.

When I do that, I end up falling in love with the "bad" bottle and feeling sorry it is all gone.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.