Jump to content

Mezcal


Dolph Lundgren

Recommended Posts

On 10/13/2017 at 3:12 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

A recent acquisition I am hoping to explore soon. Hopefully one day next week at the latest.

 

59e10db02cb7f_MezcalVagoBlendTioRey.jpg.8d157cd66a864c7798c0e09437a94fcd.jpg

 

Blend of 66% Arroqueno, 26% "Coyote" and 8% Mexicano (which reportedly is a bit spicy compared to other agave. Bottled at a decent 103.4 proof which I will presume is "cask" strength since it is a joven style and presumably is never in a cask in the typical sense. The first two are wild variations of agave Americana with arroqueno thought to be the wild agave from which the more common domesticated espadin was developed.

 

Could be interesting!

 

I don't know if you tried any of these before, but they never disappoint despite being completely different blends each time. I am still hunting for a bottle of their 78% Coyote, 18% Espadín, 4% Mexicano release that I tried recently.

 

The high ratio of Arroqueño sounds very interesting here.

Edited by Kane
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Kane

    24

  • LCWoody

    20

  • beasled

    19

  • tanstaafl2

    18

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not sure of the name of the Mezcal I’m drinking tonight. But believe me it is good especially by the open fire pit cooking some sausage and Boudin. 

Just tried an amazing Mezcal that I’ll never be able to own. My boss got this as a gift from a client in Mexico.  included in the photos is a sheet explaining the Mezcal sent by the client.   

Killed both today. I’ll go grab some unfamiliar brands tomorrow, so much new stuff showing up on the shelves. 

Posted Images

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:22 PM, Kane said:

 

I don't know if you tried any of these before, but they never disappoint despite being completely different blends each time. I am still hunting for a bottle of their 78% Coyote, 18% Espadín, 4% Mexicano release that I tried recently.

 

The high ratio of Arroqueño sounds very interesting here.

 

I think this is my first "Ensamble in Barro" from Tio Rey and Mezcal Vago but if you happen to stumble on more than one of the one you are hunting for I feel certain I could be convinced to try another!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

My usual sober Monday turned into mezcal Monday this week since my friend just returned from Oaxaca with lots of goodies. All of these were excellent, but I think the best of the night were the El Rey Zapoteco Cuishe and Gracias a Dios Cupreata. The Cupreata has a very clear cantaloupe note that I’ve never tasted in any other spirit before. Interesting that this specific bottle is not labeled mezcal, just Cupreata. Our best guess is that the producer bought the agave from outside the mezcal DO and so cannot legally call it mezcal.

In addition to what’s shown, we tasted a Fidencio Espadin I had open and it seemed like a good time to try the Rancho Tepua Bacanora I picked up a while back. The Fidencio was good but less interesting than the rest of the group, and the Bacanora was very nice but it’s subtle flavors were somewhat drowned out by everything else we were tasting.

80766e1100df0994855fe094b2929725.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kpiz said:

My usual sober Monday turned into mezcal Monday this week since my friend just returned from Oaxaca with lots of goodies. All of these were excellent, but I think the best of the night were the El Rey Zapoteco Cuishe and Gracias a Dios Cupreata. The Cupreata has a very clear cantaloupe note that I’ve never tasted in any other spirit before. Interesting that this specific bottle is not labeled mezcal, just Cupreata. Our best guess is that the producer bought the agave from outside the mezcal DO and so cannot legally call it mezcal.

In addition to what’s shown, we tasted a Fidencio Espadin I had open and it seemed like a good time to try the Rancho Tepua Bacanora I picked up a while back. The Fidencio was good but less interesting than the rest of the group, and the Bacanora was very nice but it’s subtle flavors were somewhat drowned out by everything else we were tasting.

 

Is that a "family size" bottle of Mezcal???

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Is that a "family size" bottle of Mezcal???

Unfortunately it's just a 750ml, but it does look huge in that picture. The other two el Rey Zapoteco bottles are 500ml, that's probably why.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

Unfortunately it's just a 750ml, but it does look huge in that picture. The other two el Rey Zapoteco bottles are 500ml, that's probably why.

Ah well. One can always hope!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...

This is my 1st venture into Mezcals, and so far I’m not disappointed. “Vago”, a very  citrusy taste. Not much smoke (which I’m glad) and a buttery mouth full. Very good for something that hasn’t been in a barrel...

Also very easy to drink for just over a 100p. 

28D0C4D6-B070-425D-A870-61E3FD93AF4E.thumb.jpeg.fc70424cef6e09c913b8b54651b3cd74.jpeg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ChainWhip said:

I've enjoyed the Elote from Vago - sadly, I have none...

I've had that bottle open for about 4 weeks now and it has gotten better every time. Seems like air time does this a lot of good. I'm going to pick up another bottle of "Elote", any recommendations to look for. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The revival of this thread inspired me to break out a bottle I have neglected for a while... Still good.

 

IMG_20180710_204423.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I've had that bottle open for about 4 weeks now and it has gotten better every time. Seems like air time does this a lot of good. I'm going to pick up another bottle of "Elote", any recommendations to look for. 

Fwiw, Elote is my least liked Vago, and Espadín the most boring agave by far. Don't get me wrong, it's all relative and that's still a delicious bottle. But if you liked it that much you are in for good times as you keep exploring mezcal.

 

As for recommendations, Vago's ensambles are always amazing. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with Del Maguey or El Jolgorio, for agave varieties you can try tobala or arroqueño for smth with more character. On the flip side, these will all be more expensive.

 

Or you can try Ilegal's aged expressions for a taste of oak and even less smoke.

Edited by Kane
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Kane said:

Fwiw, Elote is my least liked Vago, and Espadín the most boring agave by far. Don't get me wrong, it's all relative and that's still a delicious bottle. But if you liked it that much you are in for good times as you keep exploring mezcal.

 

As for recommendations, Vago's ensambles are always amazing. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with Del Maguey or El Jolgorio, for agave varieties you can try tobala or arroqueño for smth with more character. On the flip side, these will all be more expensive.

 

Or you can try Ilegal's aged expressions for a taste of oak and even less smoke.

Thanks, Ill try them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks, Ill try them.
Wahaka, MarcaNegra, Tosba, La Niña... So many good choices these days.
  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

El Jolgorio Espadín and Barril SBS. Out of this world. So many new mezcals in the US these days, but El Jolgorio and Dek Maguey remain my favorites.

 

 

IMG_20180804_223920.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kane said:

El Jolgorio Espadín and Barril SBS. Out of this world. So many new mezcals in the US these days, but El Jolgorio and Del Maguey remain my favorites.

 

 

IMG_20180804_223920.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked a La Venenosa up today, I will probably open it up next week. 

73C4BF75-C864-4D9C-9A0F-B23D7481DBDC.thumb.jpeg.8e08f18bc34b77d90efe699623894d17.jpeg2EB8F63B-F64F-4765-83E1-A9ADB59095B4.thumb.jpeg.a71d78a1d88b8ebb5321c033d59fafa9.jpeg

It’s not supposed to be smokie, which is one of the reasons I bought it. 

Should be a good bottle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. Apparently a somewhat unique style of agave spirit called Raicilla. Not a typical Oaxacan Mezcal since it is from Jalisco (which despite the linked article is not a Mexican state that can produce legally defined mezcal as best I can tell) and definitely not tequila since it is not blue Weber. Apparently a unique  “distilled agave spirit” from presumably the people who also import Fidencio mezcal based on the label. Will be curious to hear what you think of it.

Edited by tanstaafl2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes! $180 at K&L and $200 at Astor! Going to have to pass on that one for now despite how much I like oddities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Interesting. Apparently a somewhat unique style of agave spirit called Raicilla. Not a typical Oaxacan Mezcal since it is from Jalisco (which despite the linked article is not a Mexican state that can produce legally defined mezcal as best I can tell) and definitely not tequila since it is not blue Weber. Apparently a unique  “distilled agave spirit” from presumably the people who also import Fidencio mezcal based on the label. Will be curious to hear what you think of it.

Very good. That's all I can say.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

Looking at the pics below, any recommendations from my Mezcal drinking friends? I mentioned 8-9 posts above that I like my bottle of Los Nahuales, but don't have any experience otherwise. This is a restaurant I will be taking clients to, so interested in hearing if there are any must trys. Thanks!

IMG_20190201_122312.jpg

IMG_20190201_122307.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Looking at the pics below, any recommendations from my Mezcal drinking friends? I mentioned 8-9 posts above that I like my bottle of Los Nahuales, but don't have any experience otherwise. This is a restaurant I will be taking clients to, so interested in hearing if there are any must trys. Thanks!

IMG_20190201_122312.jpg

IMG_20190201_122307.jpg

My $0.02:

 

Second pic top shelf: El Jolgorio, possibly *the* best mezcal available in the US, and hard to find too. Never seen that many lined up at a bar.

 

Second pic second shelf from bottom has a few Mezcaleros. They only do one-off batches, and when they're good they're REALLY good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, also if you were looking for suggestions on agave/expressions, I strongly recommend a 2 or 3 way SBS if they do small pours. They really all taste very different (that's one reason mezcal > tequila!) , and novices often enjoy the experience. I like Tobala, Arroqueno, and Madrecuixe, and don't think paying extra for a gimmicky Pechuga ever pays off. And that concludes my one biased data point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kane said:

My $0.02:

 

Second pic top shelf: El Jolgorio, possibly *the* best mezcal available in the US, and hard to find too. Never seen that many lined up at a bar.

 

Second pic second shelf from bottom has a few Mezcaleros. They only do one-off batches, and when they're good they're REALLY good.

Thanks Kane, I'll definitely do a side by side of a few the next time I go, which will be soon. I tried 3 different mezcals, but as part of the restaurant's featured cocktails. Delicious, but now that you have helped me prioritize  which to try, I look forward to appreciating their variety and nuance. Much appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites

They have the Gracias de Dios gin as well as a couple of their mezcals on the bottom. The gin is an interesting and unusual Oaxacan spirit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.