4RSB vs. Booker's

Dave43
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That's an unusually low price on the Booker's, but a fairly typical price on the 4RSB (assuming it's not a barrel proof selection), so if I could only buy one I'd go with the Booker's. Both are great bourbons, though.

Id get the Booker's, both due to it being a favorite and that being one hell of a good price on it. But, you guys know my feelings toward 4R's profile, so Im a biased buyer

BOTH is the only acceptable answer.

^^^Great answer^^^

The pricing noted by the OP is a little high for the 4R, but very low for the Booker's (compared to KY pricing).

I'd buy a case of Booker's if I could get it at that price!

I really like 4RSB a lot, but at that price, Booker's every time.

What he said! Booker's around this area (SE Michigan) is around $60 out the door.

IF the 4-R is a barrel proof selection, I'd certainly want both.....And, would have 'em! :bigeyes:

I am a Four Roses fan. However, I would opt for Booker's at that price. Booker's is solid even around $50. Knowing you got a great deal on a great bourbon always makes it taste better.

Yeah that's a crazy price for Booker's. If you're asking what I think is the better bourbon, it's the 4R without question. But you can typically get the SB around that price. Around here Booker's is $55-$60.

Yeah that's a crazy price for Booker's. If you're asking what I think is the better bourbon, it's the 4R without question.

OK. I'll question that. If it is FRSB LE, maybe. But the regular SB can not compete with Booker's nor is it intended to. And that's without question.

I'll echo the sentiments of others. And not just because it is a great deal at $35. Bookers is simply fantastic on its own accord. But really take the advice of other posters and buy both. :grin:

OK. I'll question that. If it is FRSB LE, maybe. But the regular SB can not compete with Booker's nor is it intended to. And that's without question.

Eh, tomato/potato. I'm not a big fan of standard Booker's. It's way too hot most of the time, and in recent years I don't think it's done a great job hiding the alcohol notes, in comparison to ECBP, or even batch 2 Stagg Jr. The anniversary release though was outstanding IMO opinion, which makes me wish the standard was aged just a bit longer at this proof. And I admit I haven't had a chance to taste the round table bottles but have read and heard all good things.

But mostly at $60 it's an absolute no for me, but it always sounds like VA is on the high side. At $35 I would always have a bottle on hand. I still prefer the 4RSB but o each his own [emoji106]

Even at the same price I'd still choose the standard FRSB. I think it's a decent pour, but Bookers is not a better bourbon at any price, imo.

How so? FWIW, if Booker's and FRSB were both $35 (high average for FR, $10-$20 low for Booker's), I would still buy the normal FRSB 9 times out of 10. Honestly, if FRSB was the same price as Booker's normally is around here, I would still buy the FRSB more often than Booker's, I would just buy it less often than I currently do. Truth be told, I would probably pay more for OGD114 than Booker's, but I may regret putting that in a public forum . . .

All that said, $35 is a great price for Booker's, and I would have a hard time passing it up to put away a bottle to shore up my cask strength options in my bunker.

...I still prefer the 4RSB
Even at the same price I'd still choose the standard FRSB. I think it's a decent pour, but Bookers is not a better bourbon at any price, imo.
)...I would still buy the normal FRSB 9 times out of 10. Honestly, if FRSB was the same price as Booker's normally is around here, I would still buy the FRSB more often than Booker's, I would just buy it less often than I currently do. Truth be told, I would probably pay more for OGD114 than Booker's, but I may regret putting that in a public forum . . .

I like...the cut of your jib :grin:

Im surprised Booker's is leading here, what with all the 4R cultists here:grin:
The good thing is the OP probably isn't going to go wrong either way. The Booker's is obviously on sale for a great price. Maybe I need to revisit it. I can get it for $42.99 for the rest of this month, so maybe I should take the plunge. I've not had a ton of luck with Beam's low rye mashbill, but I also don't often buy entire bottles of Beam products to get to know. I guess for $40 and change the worst I'd be dealing with is a high octane mixer.

It has nothing to do with the quality of 4R, which is well established. It has everything to do with how good of a price that is for Booker's.

I'm a cultist, but at that price, I'm taking Booker's.

Well, I didn't want to pile on.... but, even watered down to 100p, the 4R is both older and more complex. I mean come on, no one does fruit, spice AND floral like 4R!

The bottom line for me, it's just a unique bourbon and therefore lends itself to the deserved cult like following, at least for those who appreciate what it brings to bear.

And I have nothing against Booker's, but does it really stand out with anything that isn't found in a bottle of KCSB or (insert name of other BP bourbon of choice here)? Not that it's a one trick pony, but I find an additional dimension in the 4R, as well as an older and equally satisfying flavor, mouth feel and more pleasant finish. It also doesn't hurt that I get all the above for less $$$$!

I also "get" that some just don't like the 4R profile. But, if you think about it, it really is amazing how many folks have come on board given the brief time that's passed since JR was given free reign to work his magic into this bottle, and reintroduce this new and much improved bourbon to the US market.

Finally, I think this whisky has re-trained my palate and changed my expectation of what good bourbon could or should be....what is possible....what I hope others should or will do, and raised the bar for everyone else in the game.

Both, echoing other comments about Booker's at that price. I like them both, but Booker's more. Seems like preference between the two partly depends on what proof ranges folks like. For me, the higher proof doesn't burn and produces a longer finish.

Both, echoing other comments about Booker's at that price. I like them both, but Booker's more. Seems like preference between the two partly depends on what proof ranges folks like. For me, the higher proof doesn't burn and produces a longer finish.
My preference is based on the sweet/rye spice/barrel influence balance moreso than proof. I perceive Four Roses as being less sweet as well as spicier, which is a flavor profile I prefer to Booker's sweeter dessertiness. Which is a word. That I innovented.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.