Never paid a premium...should tomorrow change that?

grantsi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks to a few people on this board and several years of talking to local liquor store owners, I've been fortunate enough to get my hands on quite a few "limited edition" / "special edition" bottles...many of the names that send people scrambling have landed on my bar and always at retail. I've never paid a flipper.

That might change tomorrow...someone is offering to sell me a bookers 25th for $175. That's essentially a $65 mark up ($100 msrp plus 10% tax ). It sickens me that I am even considering it. But, i love my bookers and have read many a positive review. Should I allow curiousity to get the best of me or is this a case of "a fool and his money"?

If you can afford to do it, and can do it without feeling regretful just for doing so, go for it. I could do the former, but not the latter. Me, I'd grab 4 regular Booker's instead, and have enough for 2 years at my Booker's consumption rate.....but im a cheap-ass.

If you can afford to do it, and can do it without feeling regretful just for doing so, go for it. I could do the former, but not the latter. Me, I'd grab 4 regular Booker's instead, and have enough for 2 years at my Booker's consumption rate.....but im a cheap-ass.

What he said (and yes, he is a cheap ass)! :lol:

It depends how bad you want it! I am sure many will disagree but you can always make more money but there will never be another Booker's 25th.

The only problem is once you open it, it's gone, that is why I always try to buy two.

OK maybe three or four.

Damn it...you're both right. I'm also a cheap ass. I can technically afford it, but I can also afford to buy two bottles of regular bookers and a tank of gas. Practicality is going to steer me towards declining the offer. Thanks for the responses

It depends how bad you want it! I am sure many will disagree but you can always make more money but there will never be another Booker's 25th.

The only problem is once you open it, it's gone, that is why I always try to buy two.

OK maybe three or four.

True. At $100, I would buy two. At $175, I'm not sure I'm compelled to buy one.

At the very root of it, my purchase just reinforces the behavior I wish didn't exist ( flipping ) and encourages this guy to buy for profit vs. pleasure. To each his/her own ( unless it robs me of a bottle )

Actually I don't think that is so bad especially if it's something you like. Over here I think I paid before tax $119.99 or more.

Agree with other, it's all about what you are willing to pay and then be happy drinking it knowing what you paid.

Pass. You'll forget about it in a week. Missing out on drinking a great bottle of bourbon is not exactly like missing the birth of one's child.

Just for my own slant... I'd give it a miss, and here are my reasons....

Too little actual difference between the 'Anniversary' and the 'Regular' (in the opinion of most tasters, & me) to justify the way-more-than-triple-cost of 'Regular' (at the rate requested by this flipper).

And, the point of not encouraging the flipping behavior is a valid one, too. I abhor this practice. I won't do it, and so far have not supported it financially. I don't say it's 'wrong'... hell, anybody is free to invest however they wish; but it's not for me; just sayin'.....

Just for my own slant... I'd give it a miss, and here are my reasons....

Too little actual difference between the 'Anniversary' and the 'Regular' (in the opinion of most tasters, & me) to justify the way-more-than-triple-cost of 'Regular' (at the rate requested by this flipper).

And, the point of not encouraging the flipping behavior is a valid one, too. I abhor this practice. I won't do it, and so far have not supported it financially. I don't say it's 'wrong'... hell, anybody is free to invest however they wish; but it's not for me; just sayin'.....

I agree with this. I like the Anniversary a little more than the standard, but not enough to pay a premium for it. I am not saying that it is not worth the premium in general, its just not worth it for someone with my exact preferences.

It's good stuff, good enough that I went out and got me another for the bunker,but at $100, for $175,I would have passed.Offer him $125, that would be reasonable.

I would say first make a counter-offer at something you think is reasonable, if you really want it. If not, let it go. More often than not, I am happy that I ended up passing on something.

It's a very pretty bottle/box to look at on the shelf. The bourbon inside the bottle is very good as well. To my taste buds, it's definitely a notch above the regular Bookers - but not so much that I'd pay the premium they're asking. I might buy another at MSRP, but I'm not even 100% sure I'd do that. I have a disdain for flippers on top of all that, so personally I wouldn't recommend it. That said, I've already tasted it, you apparently haven't - it's your money - it all depends on how badly you want it.

The ideal situation would be to trade a bottle you have that has a similar aftermarket value. But that might be difficult if you're dealing with a store.

I agree that making a trade, or throwing a bottle you already own into the deal, could lessen the sting on your wallet. In the end though, just buy the darn thing if you really want it and can afford to do so.

Asked my dealer today if had sold his $200.00 bottle yet and he said yes it went the first week. Since I don't enjoy Bookers it was no loss to me.

"Someone will buy it, they always do"

Asked my dealer today if had sold his $200.00 bottle yet and he said yes it went the first week. Since I don't enjoy Bookers it was no loss to me.

"Someone will buy it, they always do"

Very true. I've bought very few things that I thought were considerably marked up over MSRP, but when I did - I never regretted any of them.

Flipper: 0 Me: 1

I wanted that bottle, and still do, but will either resort to trades or someone willing to let one go at a better price.

Thanks to all for your jnput

Price is relative. I purchased my only bottle for $155.xx at retail (out the door), at a big chain store that regulates prices and does not place higher mark ups on LE products. Them's Washington taxes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.