What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I passed up a E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof.

How much? At less than $100 that is probably a "buy" for me. I have one, like it and would like a spare for the bunker.

A bottle of Cured Oak, I have never had it and I am not sure of what a good price is. The price was $62 at the store I saw it. It's the first time I remember seeing it.

A bottle of Cured Oak, I have never had it and I am not sure of what a good price is. The price was $62 at the store I saw it. It's the first time I remember seeing it.
Mods feel free to delete this post if it is out of line. If so, my apologies. If that's E.H. Taylor Cured Oak, purchasing it might give you some leverage in obtaining that Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition you're looking for. Assuming bottle swaps are legal in Nevada. Or you could buy and drink it yourself. It is apparently good.

How much? At less than $100 that is probably a "buy" for me. I have one, like it and would like a spare for the bunker.

It was under $100 I am pretty sure. Is it hard to find? I am looking for ECBP at the moment and a few others so I didn't pull the trigger. I figured I could find it again another time.

Hey Guys, I made a mistake on the above. I went back to the store after a few suggestions to do so. I must have had a Brain Fart or something! What I had seen was Forged Oak 15yo from Orphan Barrel. Some how, by the time I got home, in my mind it was Cured Oak. My Bad and I apologize!

It was under $100 I am pretty sure. Is it hard to find? I am looking for ECBP at the moment and a few others so I didn't pull the trigger. I figured I could find it again another time.

It is not as hard to find as the top-tier, unobtainium bottles (PVW, BTAC, 4R Limiteds for example) but at least where I am it is pretty rare to see one on the shelf. I would classify it as "hard to find" but it all depends on where you are geographically and I would not be surprised if others say they can find it pretty easily where they are (like people in Kentucky for example).

I also think it is really good, so there is that as well.

As an aside, ECBP is reasonably easy to find where I am, but I also know it is impossible to find in some other states.

Hey Guys, I made a mistake on the above. I went back to the store after a few suggestions to do so. I must have had a Brain Fart or something! What I had seen was Forged Oak 15yo from Orphan Barrel. Some how, by the time I got home, in my mind it was Cured Oak. My Bad and I apologize!

I've made the same mistake before when asking stores about cured oak. they're quite similar in names!

Yeah, pretty big difference. Oh well, at least $62 on the lower end for Forged Oak. Not really into the Orphan Barrel Project, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

It is not as hard to find as the top-tier, unobtainium bottles (PVW, BTAC, 4R Limiteds for example) but at least where I am it is pretty rare to see one on the shelf. I would classify it as "hard to find" but it all depends on where you are geographically and I would not be surprised if others say they can find it pretty easily where they are (like people in Kentucky for example).

I also think it is really good, so there is that as well.

As an aside, ECBP is reasonably easy to find where I am, but I also know it is impossible to find in some other states.

I went back and picked it up for $80. My inability to find ECBP combined with the price made it an easy pickup really. Thanks for the recommendation!

It's a shame I'm not a bigger fan of Booker's, passed on it at $43.99 today. I remember seeing it for $55 4 or 5 years ago and for whatever reason the price seems to be dropping at a number of stores

Saw the new batch of Booker's, 15-02. I think it was called Dot's Batch, with the picture of the dog on it. Every time I see these now, I think it is the 25th Anniversary because of the dark wood. It's a let down every single time.

I went back and picked it up for $80. My inability to find ECBP combined with the price made it an easy pickup really. Thanks for the recommendation!

That was a good call IMO in picking up the EH Taylor Barrel Proof. I saw three on a shelf several months ago, and bought two (probably around $70 per bottle). Opened one up that night, loved it, and went back for the third bottle but it was gone. Haven't seen a bottle since. So yes, it is quite good (I prefer it to the ECBP), and yes, it is hard to find. And I suspect your bottle would not have been there much longer had you waited on it.

3 bottles of ETL at a local store for $45 each. I don't think I will be buying any ETL for a while.

Everything! I was looking for the Alberta Rye Dark Batch and struck out in a local LB. I was impressed by the selection today, but once again shocked by how off the chart the LB's have gotten in their pricing.

I guess it's good to be king...

Wild Turkey Forgiven Batch 303 for $47.99 - Passed because I know nothing about it. It's the first time I have seen it in my area, must have just come in, as they have 4 bottles on the shelf.

Is this a worthy bottle?

Wild Turkey Forgiven Batch 303 for $47.99 - Passed because I know nothing about it. It's the first time I have seen it in my area, must have just come in, as they have 4 bottles on the shelf.

Is this a worthy bottle?

No. It is basic wild turkey bourbon, mixed with basic young wild turkey rye, with a jacked up price. You can make your own bourbon/rye blend for much cheaper, and likely taste better.

Is this a worthy bottle?

If you like Wild Turkey 101, and Wild Turkey Rye 81, mix the two and see if you like it. Personally - it is twice the price of either component whiskey, so it feels like I'd be paying Compari $25 just to mix my drink for me. I've tried it and thought "Hmm - I'd give you $25 for that", but haven't seen them chop the price in half yet. And even if they did - I wouldn't be running out to stock up.

ceht bp @ $79.99, ceht sb @ $53.99 and bookers big man small batch @ $50.00

damn! i'd love another bottle of the ceh bp 129! a great barrel proofer

yes, it is quite tempting. they have 5 bottles. have had them for a while.

Edited by typoerror

ECBP at $55, Jim Beam Rye (new label) $27, CEHT SmB $59

On a side note, I inquired about getting EWBIB in stock and was told it would be $20/liter. Seems high to me...

ECBP at $55

I'm jealous of anyone who is even given the opportunity to pass on this. I'd gobble this up at $55.

ECBP at $55, Jim Beam Rye (new label) $27, CEHT SmB $59

On a side note, I inquired about getting EWBIB in stock and was told it would be $20/liter. Seems high to me...

CEHT SmB at $59??? It's plentiful around me for $34/bottle. $60 for glorified BT or ER--crazy.

As to EW BIB, price is in the eye of the beholder. I pay $18 a bottle in NYC for 750ml bottles. I likely can't find it cheaper around here, so it is what it is. The upshot is, while cheaper is always better of course, I think $20/liter is reasonable for EW BIB.

I'm jealous of anyone who is even given the opportunity to pass on this. I'd gobble this up at $55.

Don't be jealous, I passed because I'm broke!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!