What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

CEHT SmB at $59??? It's plentiful around me for $34/bottle. $60 for glorified BT or ER--crazy.

I stopped by my local store last night to browse (and had to leave without buying anything when I realized I was late for an appointment at my house with a landscaper :bigeyes:). In the glass case I saw CEHT SmB but the price sticker on the shelf said "EH Taylor Barrel" for $84.99. So I'm thinking it is either a mistake and they printed the CEHT BP label...but maybe there might be a BP hiding back there! I am also expecting the SmB to be the normal $39.99 that is is around here. I ask the associate to check the system, and as I expected, no BP bottles and the shelf was incorrectly labeled. Then the shocker, the SmB price tag is supposed to say $69.99! That made the decision for me NOT to bunker another bottle, for sure.

Jason

Passed on a lot of NDP stuff, and two bottles of minor interest: SAOS 6 yr from 2013, and a McCormick Will Rogers shaped decanter thing. Don't know much about the collectibles market, but it looked neat.

I passed on CEHT BP for $70. I have one bunkered so I figured I would leave it for someone else. Been thinking about it all day. Feels like I let a pretty girl walk by without saying hello.

Rebel Yells new American whiskey (blend of 2yr MPGI rye and 2yr bourbon) and it's 2yr MPGI rye, $25ea, passed. Like the new bottle and labeling though.

Went to a new store i don't usually frequent. Passed on a CEHT Single Barrel for $59.99, an A.H. Hirsch 16 year in the fancy schmancy box for $1399, and....an entire 6-bottle set of Van Winkle bourbons for the low, low price of $4999.99. First time I've ever actually seen Pappy on a shelf (well actually it was in a locked glass case) here in Louisville. The only other time I've actually seen it on a shelf at all was a liquor store in Rome.

I passed on tons of Elmer T. Lee for $34.99. I prefer Rock Hill Farms from the same mashbill even though it's $44.99. ETL should be something like $26.99.

Barterhouse is perfectly ok but I need more than ok for 90 bones and Fighting Cock because I've always passed it by and I'm not sure I need to buy an age stated bottle just because it's going away.

I passed on MMCS 750 ml at $59.99 and Four Kings (rye this year?) at $49.99. The price tag had it listed as a bourbon but I thought that this years was a rye.

Not bourbon but I passed on a store select Masterson's 10 year old rye for $46.99. The price seems good compared to what I have seen elsewhere but I don't know much about it other than it appears to be from Alberta Distillers in Canada.

Passed on Rhetoric, Forged Oak, and a third Orphan (can't remember which one).....that's how uninterested I am. Prices are all stupid. I'll continue to pick up ECBP and Stagg Jr. while I skip these.

Passed on Rhetoric, Forged Oak, and a third Orphan (can't remember which one).....that's how uninterested I am. Prices are all stupid. I'll continue to pick up ECBP and Stagg Jr. while I skip these.

Good move. IMHO the Orphan Barrels should have stayed orphaned. You are very lucky to have ECBP readily available, I can't even find a bottle to try here in Kentucky.

I'm passing up this thread until someone changes it to Spring/Summer because I'm to lazy too.

Very good recommendations from SB'ers here. For $129.99 you could get a wide range of bourbons from Heaven Hill.

I did a tasting last summer of:

1. Henry McKenna 10 Bottled in Bond

2. Elijah Craig 12

3. Evan Williams Single Barrel

4. Evan Williams Bottled in Bond

5. Old Heaven Hill 8 year

6. Old Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond

7. Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope

What that tasting revealed is that Heaven Hill makes great bourbon, and that while Parker's Heritage is a step above the others (more flavors, better mouthfeel, and longer finish, overall better balance), the other bourbons are no slouches. So yes you can buy a lot of Heaven Hill bourbon for $129.99! This would be a good choice if you are new to bourbon, buying many bottles from $20-30 will give you a great education as well as a lot of fun. However, Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope was a limited bottling and is hard to find, if not sold out. With all that said, if it were me, I'd ask the store if they would go down in the price a bit, and buy that. My reasoning is that you can always find Elijah Craig 12 or Evan Williams Single Barrel, but Promise of Hope not so much!

1.75 Weller 12 for $50

Would have bought. Have seen OWA and WSR but not Weller 12 in Maryland. Heck I've seen more BTAC :(

Would have bought. Have seen OWA and WSR but not Weller 12 in Maryland. Heck I've seen more BTAC :(
Weller 12 doesn't appear to be distributed in central and western Maryland. Montgomery County appears to get it on occasion, and Delmarva is anyone's guess.

Not a bad deal at all

That was the price I paid 4-5 years ago and I thought it was a good deal back then. That would be a difficult pass for me right now.

If they would have had the 750 ml. I would have purchased another, i paid 23ish last time. Really liking the EC 12 though. There are so many I want to taste.

Weller 12 doesn't appear to be distributed in central and western Maryland. Montgomery County appears to get it on occasion, and Delmarva is anyone's guess.

Doesn't get distributed in Virginia either. Believe me I have kicked those tires a few times.

Decided to pass on Blood Oath today. Very cool bottle and packaging but can't fathom spending $86 for a blend of unnamed sourced whiskey.

1.75 Weller 12 for $50

I'd bought that in a second, maybe drop for 2.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!