Whisky value comparable to Bourbon

Dave43
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm looking to branch out to other whiskys besides bourbon. I love the fact I can get bourbons like Evan Williams single barrel 10 year for $20. Are there any comparable foreign whiskys that offer such a great bang for buck?

I'm looking to branch out to other whiskys besides bourbon. I love the fact I can get bourbons like Evan Williams single barrel 10 year for $20. Are there any comparable foreign whiskys that offer such a great bang for buck?
It depends on your taste in whiskies. Glenmorangie Original can be had for the low-mid thirties. There's nothing wrong with Johnnie Walker Black for $25 ish. Monkey Shoulder is a great and reasonably priced blend. Same for Compass Box Great King Street. Overall it depends on your budget: I can get Lagavulin 16 for $45, and that's insanely cheap to me.

Comparable perhaps in price but different in character. There are a number of distilled spirits Worldwide (rum, brandy, etc.) but if we're talking whisky that would be Scotch, Irish or Canadian and 90% or more of those in the $20 price range will be blends. Nothing wrong with that but most blends lack the full, rich, robust character of Straight Bourbon. If we factor in age, proof and unblended I believe Bourbon trumps every time and nothing else comes close enough to even be called comparable.

Squire pretty much has it nailed. Depending on where you live, you're probably going to be paying double your $20 just to find a great "value" single malt. There are some amazing values to be had in Japanese whisky if you live in Japan or fly through Narita occasionally. Otherwise . . . I don't really think you're going to like most of the single malt or blends that are readily available at $20 or less. Bourbon really is the epitome of bang for your buck in the whiskey world.

I'll leave Irish and Canadian whiskies to more qualified folk, as I don't have enough experience with them to speak intelligently about them. Though people seem to like Black Velvet around here.

I can get Famous Grouse 18YO Pure Malt for $21 a 700ml bottle. It is actually pretty tasty! I think is could appeal to bourbon drinkers as it is growing on me. It starts out aged sherry sweet, but ends on a bit of smoke that does not overwhelm in peatyness. A nice balance that plays off its Macallan 18 and Highland Park 18 components. I don't think such a deal is available in 'Merica though.

Sorry

I think there are comparable values just at a different price point. While it isn't to everyone's taste Laphroaig 10 year can regularly be had on sale for $40 or $45. It's not $20 but it's a great value. Sadly the recent boom has affected Single Malt prices much more than bourbon prices although that is changing. Drams you used to regularly find for $40-50 are now $60-$70. But then Elijah Craig 18 used to be $35 and now EC23 is $200. Squire is spot on - in the bang for the buck category blends are the way to go - check out Cutty Sark Prohibition. 100 proof and a really nice dram and it's $25-$30. And if you want a dose of peat check out Islay Mist - it's young but a nice little dram that's easy on the wallet.

No, IMHO. If I look at the equation of enjoyment per dollar, I can't find any other whiskey for under $20 (or under $30) that I like anywhere near as much as I like several bourbons. This is strictly on a "great bang for buck" perspective. Not considering bourbon, there are whiskies out there which I think are well worth the money. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban for $45 is something I enjoy. I have found some private labels (Total Wine's "Shieldaig" has a NAS Highland Single Malt for under $20 that has enough peat in it to be interesting, and for the price I think is solid). But if I had a very limited budget, I would unfortunately have to skip almost everything else (although a bottle of Lafrog will always be available because it is just so funky :lol:) This isn't a slam on Scotch or others, either. Our bottling policies, taxes, etc make it more costly for them.

No, IMHO. If I look at the equation of enjoyment per dollar, I can't find any other whiskey for under $20 (or under $30) that I like anywhere near as much as I like several bourbons. This is strictly on a "great bang for buck" perspective. Not considering bourbon, there are whiskies out there which I think are well worth the money. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban for $45 is something I enjoy. I have found some private labels (Total Wine's "Shieldaig" has a NAS Highland Single Malt for under $20 that has enough peat in it to be interesting, and for the price I think is solid). But if I had a very limited budget, I would unfortunately have to skip almost everything else (although a bottle of Lafrog will always be available because it is just so funky :lol:) This isn't a slam on Scotch or others, either. Our bottling policies, taxes, etc make it more costly for them.

To be honest this makes me appreciate the affordability of good bourbon even after recent price hikes. Not a fan of scotch as the peat is off putting (bandaid smells) I would like to try some Irish whisky's though if the price was right. Especially non traditional aging in sherry/port barrels.

To be honest this makes me appreciate the affordability of good bourbon even after recent price hikes. Not a fan of scotch as the peat is off putting (bandaid smells) I would like to try some Irish whisky's though if the price was right. Especially non traditional aging in sherry/port barrels.

I love Irish Whiskey and it was my first introduction to whiskey many years ago but the ones at a $20 price point (or even close to that) probably don't stand up to the excellent bourbons to be found at that price. Less expensive Irish Whiskey, like Scotch, is predominantly blended whiskey. A recent favorite in the budget range is the Powers lane Signature Release but even that is around $45. Perhaps a good place to start is Bushmills "Black Bush" which is sherry finished and can be in the mid $30's.

Not a fan of scotch as the peat is off putting (bandaid smells).

I know of their similarities on paper, but i view Scotch and Bourbon as different animals and evaluate them as such. I have to agree that pure bang for the buck goes to Bourbon, but bang for the buck is ultimately in your tastebuds.

As an aside, there are many Scotches that don't have the peat component.

Many good recommendations above, but I'll add one more - Tomatin 12yr. Single Malt, sherried, can be had (at least in the midwest) for $29/bottle, no peat, and I like it very much.. squarely in my "value pour" category.

This is a slight meander for the topic, but I personally think scotch whisky gains an edge in the QPR contest above $50 or so. Once you get above $100, QPR isn't even close with scotch whisky vs bourbon. Scotch is the clear winner. Then again, there are probably billions (I mean billions in the literal sense) who think spending $100 or more on a bottle of liquor is completely asinine.

This is a slight meander for the topic, but I personally think scotch whisky gains an edge in the QPR contest above $50 or so. Once you get above $100, QPR isn't even close with scotch whisky vs bourbon. Scotch is the clear winner. Then again, there are probably billions (I mean billions in the literal sense) who think spending $100 or more on a bottle of liquor is completely asinine.

Great point - I've spent more money on a bottle of scotch than I have on a bottle of bourbon or rye (or anything else!) And think it was worth every penny. Can't think of any bourbon that I would have paid the same price for . . . (but trying to)

:lol: Ain't no doubt Scotch whiskey is a clear winner in the over $100 per bottle segment. Outside of just plain ridiculously priced NDP bottlers asking such pricing (e.g. Kentucky Owl), I'm still trying to get through my second hand in counting >$100 bourbons...:lol:

:lol: Ain't no doubt Scotch whiskey is a clear winner in the over $100 per bottle segment. Outside of just plain ridiculously priced NDP bottlers asking such pricing (e.g. Kentucky Owl), I'm still trying to get through my second hand in counting >$100 bourbons...:lol:

Slow clap for Joe's counting skills . . . Without googling: EC 20, 21, 23, EW 23, William Heavenhill (any), HHSS, WT Tradition, WT Diamond, PVW 20, 23, Michter's 20, 25, Celebration, JPS 21, 25, 30, Old Blowhard, pretty much everything over 6 years of age by WFE, and Angels Envy Cask Strength. That's without considering average retailer markup on basically anything limited at this point.

We can also discuss the massive amounts of garbage bourbon in the $50+ price range, if you like ;P.

If you're looking at $20-$30 its going to be a blend - try Monkey Shoulder. However, stepping up to the $50 - >$100 range, there are lots of great options. As far as bang for the buck - try Springbank 12 Cask Strength which is around $60-70, Macallan 12, or Ardbeg 10, Corryvreckin or Uigeadail if you want a lot of peat. All of these are staples that anyone branching out should try.

I love Irish Whiskey and it was my first introduction to whiskey many years ago but the ones at a $20 price point (or even close to that) probably don't stand up to the excellent bourbons to be found at that price. Less expensive Irish Whiskey, like Scotch, is predominantly blended whiskey. A recent favorite in the budget range is the Powers lane Signature Release but even that is around $45. Perhaps a good place to start is Bushmills "Black Bush" which is sherry finished and can be in the mid $30's.

funny my you mention bushmills as this was the whisky that I heard of that peaked my interest to look outside of bourbon. It was the bushmills 16 which I heard ages half in bourbon barrels and half in sherry which are finished in port barrels. This sounds awesome. It looks like it runs $65 in my market which seems a little steep....I can get the black bush for $30, which price point I'm more comfortable with.

So, you're mocking my polydactylism????? Really?!?!

:lol: Just playin'

But, if you're going to pull out all those Gift Shop Only and ridiculously priced NDP's (I thought I mentioned something about that...), you mize well add secondary market pric...oh, you did...

I'll just sit back with one of my massive amounts of garbage $50+ bourbons (you pick which one! :D), and just be happy. Then, maybe I'll finish up with a nice Scotch. I'm thinking CB Flaming Heart, cuz I love that whiskey.

Well since I'm picking . . . Koval Four Grain or any of the Hudson lineup are actually about $5-$10 more than I pay for Lagavulin 16, so lets go with those. . . The CB Flaming Heart is a tasty one. The 2012 is still available around here, believe it or not. I've got a bottle of the 2010 put away for a special day. Which will definitely end in a -Y.

At any rate, I think we can both agree on a few things: A lot of, if not most, sub $20 bourbon is very good. A lot of, if not most, sub $20 scotch is not very good. Flaming Heart is good. Joe has a lot of fingers. And will be drinking Koval Four Grain and Hudson bourbons for the foreseeable future.

Edited by garbanzobean

funny my you mention bushmills as this was the whisky that I heard of that peaked my interest to look outside of bourbon. It was the bushmills 16 which I heard ages half in bourbon barrels and half in sherry which are finished in port barrels. This sounds awesome. It looks like it runs $65 in my market which seems a little steep....I can get the black bush for $30, which price point I'm more comfortable with.

I think the Bushmills 16yo is indeed excellent but a different beast than the Black Bush. It is a single malt individually aged in both used bourbon and sherry casks for 15 years, and then "married" together in port pipes for the final year to create the whiskey in the bottle. I think it is excellent but it is not exactly a bargain priced bottle!

Well since I'm picking . . . Koval Four Grain or any of the Hudson...

Sorry, those aren't part of my $50+ garbage bourbons I make available to me. For good reason...

Koval and Hudson...:lol:

Sorry, those aren't part of my $50+ garbage bourbons I make available to me. For good reason...

Koval and Hudson...:lol:

See, now you're just being deliberately fussy. I stated very clearly that there was plenty of garbage bourbon available at $50+, not that all $50+ bourbon was garbage. Boy would my face be red if I let you get away with ignoring the distinction I made. Nothing for it Joe . . . Koval or Hudson. Let's compromise: Breckenridge. I hear it's better than Pappy . . . No way I'm letting you retreat to 4R territory, that wouldn't be fair.

Back to the OP: if you're more comfortable in the $30s, you should really check out Compass Box Great King Street Artists blend and Monkey Shoulder. I drink the Artists blend side by side with many a single malt and love it. Monkey shoulder is a blended malt, so there's no grain in it, just 3 single malts. They are great whiskies on their own merits, and neither will bother you if you don't like peat.

Now, I'm being fussy...:rolleyes:

If you're going to be so particular on what you said, I think the actual words used were "massive amounts" of garbage bourbon. Not, "plenty". That would be a distinction worth noting. And, I asked you to pick one of my $50+ garbage bourbons, and I reply that you picked two that I don't own...and I become this "fussy"...I hate to point these things out, as I'll soon be pedantic, or something. I will, however, look forward to this evenings pour of some year's Stagg as my $50+, and ruminate on how this whiskey by many accounts has very few equals in the world...regardless of price and provenance. The King of Whiskey is the King of QPR! :lol:

You ask for compromise, so I can do that. I have no love for the majority of "craft" distilleries, as I think most of their bourbons and whiskies in general are indeed "garbage". Your short list of your garbage bourbons in the >$50 segment seems to feature these. If these are what you are referring to, then I can agree with you.

I guess that at the end of the day, I am just not dismissive of bourbons at the higher price points simply because...they happen to be bourbons...

Haha we appear to be at an impasse, my friend. Since I'm only going to keep picking $50+ garbage bourbons and you're only going to pick $50+ excellent bourbons (many of which I own and enjoy as well), I think perhaps it is best for us to hug it out via PM and cease disrupting the poor OPs original topic. I would be truly sad to live out my days thinking folks on SB perceived me as a premium bourbon hater (I certainly don't perceive myself to be), so perhaps we can settle this someday with a friendly drink . . . Of Wild Turkey Forgiven or Woodford Reserve Double Oak, perhaps .

Back to the poor OP: If you're looking for value, don't like peat, and have access to Kirkland, Grangestone, or Sheildaig store brands you might look there. They aren't known for exceeding expectations, but they are generally inoffensive and cheap.

Edited by garbanzobean
Smiley face disappeared.

• 1 month later...

This is easy: Glenmorangie Orginal on sale for $29.95 in Bentonville Arkansas. As a general rule, Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey are the best for "bang for buck" in the USA.

I think the problem is that Bourbon is typically one the best values in whisky, with Canadian Whisky coming in 2nd. Moving to Irish or Scotch moves you to a different strata. There are quite a few great $30 bourbons, there aren't any great Single malts for $30 - with the exception in certain markets of Glenmorangie on sale, which some people really love. There are good values in Single malts and Irish whisky, but the price points are different. If your budget is Bushmill's Black than maybe you should stick with Bourbon because the list of interesting Scotch and Irish whiskies in a similar price range is very short. Now if your whisky budget extends up $60 - then suddenly your horizon opens up. Springbank 10 yr is a great dram and can regularly be found in the Northeast for $55 or so.

For about $35 there is a new blend - Compass Box King St. Glascow Blend. It's about $35 and it's really tasty stuff. Good Luck.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.