Whisky value comparable to Bourbon

Dave43
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's important to be mindful of good value at all price ranges... not just $20 or under. This was kind of Eric's point.

I picked up Laphroaig 18 for $70 after taxes a few months ago. There is no bourbon to be had with that combination of age, quality, and price. EC18 a number of years ago, perhaps.

The point is to explore as much as you can to learn when to jump on a good deal regardless the style.

Edited by Auracom

The point is to explore as much as you can to learn when to jump on a good deal regardless the style.

Very astute observation, price is just one of the factors determining true value.

GlenMo 10 is mighty fine stuff- no nasty peat and nasty wine to bugger things up. I can pick it up at the Taipei Duty Free for ~$27 a liter. Are their any other Ex-Bourbon single malts that have not suffered the peating or the wining? Malt seem much more palatable to me without such abuse. With GlenMo 10 at $27/L, it is a very pleasant change of pace from bourbon and a good deal too!

GlenMo 10 is mighty fine stuff- no nasty peat and nasty wine to bugger things up. I can pick it up at the Taipei Duty Free for ~$27 a liter. Are their any other Ex-Bourbon single malts that have not suffered the peating or the wining? Malt seem much more palatable to me without such abuse. With GlenMo 10 at $27/L, it is a very pleasant change of pace from bourbon and a good deal too!

Not sure I can help much as I am rather fond of all that abuse. Bring on the peat and bring on wine! Hell, make it both peaty and wine-y at the same time!!!

If I want to drink something that tastes similar to bourbon I usually find it easier to just drink bourbon! :cool:

Thank you for the advice! In my business, I need to buy quite a few bottles of Scotch at Duty Free every month to give to a SE Asian colleague to drink and share with others. Getting authentic whisk(e)y in SE Asia is rather difficult and expensive it seems. As I sometimes also have to drink the Scotch I bring over, I would prefer to have it be something I find pleasant. JWB (honey to smoke, but not peat), Singleton (nice mouthfeel on the the non peaty one) and GlenMo 10 I find rather enjoyable. Maybe I can stick with these, but more options can often be better than fewer.

Famous Grouse 18 vatted malt is available here as well. It is around $26 per 700ml domestically and pretty good. While it is both winey and peaty, they are well balanced and they don't tend to overwhelm.

What are some other value picks in this range? I should also consider bringing around some Bourbon, I think wheaters would be popular, but they are not so available over here.

Highland and Speyside style whisky tends to not have much if any peat and if it isn't finished in port or sherry or some other wine barrel you likely won't get much wine influence.

Glenmorangie is certainly a classic example of that. Glenlivet is a large producer of that style that might be found there. Standard Balvenie perhaps (the single cask 15 was nice but it has been replaced with a sherry finished version although you still might find it on the shelf). I like Clynelish but it is kind of distinctive. Glenrothes is supposed to be very bourbonesque but I haven't tried it. There are lots of them to choose from but you kind of have to try them to find your sweet spot for your palate.

Thank you for the advice! In my business, I need to buy quite a few bottles of Scotch at Duty Free every month to give to a SE Asian colleague to drink and share with others. Getting authentic whisk(e)y in SE Asia is rather difficult and expensive it seems. As I sometimes also have to drink the Scotch I bring over, I would prefer to have it be something I find pleasant. JWB (honey to smoke, but not peat), Singleton (nice mouthfeel on the the non peaty one) and GlenMo 10 I find rather enjoyable. Maybe I can stick with these, but more options can often be better than fewer.

Famous Grouse 18 vatted malt is available here as well. It is around $26 per 700ml domestically and pretty good. While it is both winey and peaty, they are well balanced and they don't tend to overwhelm.

What are some other value picks in this range? I should also consider bringing around some Bourbon, I think wheaters would be popular, but they are not so available over here.

Balvenie, Clynelish, and Glenrothes. Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to check out what is available on my next go round in January.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

For about $20, I have enjoyed Speyburn 10 yr and Tomatin 12yr. Both are single malts and would be even better if they would quit filtering and coloring--and without adopting the disrespectful practice of charging extra for simply omitting these unfortunate steps.

Bunahaiben 12 under 50 not many stores carry it, non chill filtered no coloring ( an issue with many scotches).

Nutty, vanilla, smokey very smooth.

After a long day of football and bourbon, I don't recall whether I have posted in this thread or not and I am too lazy to go back and look through all 4 pages. :lol: However, I can say without a doubt that not only is there no other style of whisky but also no other type of alcoholic beverage that carries a comparable value and enjoyment level as bourbon. Note: I include rye as a bourbon, although technically it is not. I can purchase a bourbon or rye that I enjoy for around $20 for 750 ml. That equals about 6 to 8 really generous pours. At $2-3 per pour, the price of a beer at a bar, I get much more enjoyment from bourbon. More taste, less filling. I do like Irish Whisky but the ones I like are $30 or more. I am not a big scotch fan but I have found one that I like. It costs $200 per bottle. I didn't buy it but I would take another one for free! :lol: Rum is ok depending on the style and brand. Vodka not so much. Grey Goose is ok. Tequila is ok. Bourbon or rye every time.

Depending on the store between 900ish ntd to 1100ish ntd for 700ml. Costco has a nice gift set right now for around 900 with a couple of glasses. I think it is available at the airport as well for around the same price but the Liter bottle. One interesting thing is that the JWG now comes in a "limited edition" series of 4 bottle, the Taiwan Beauty or somesuch series.

Even though I am not supporting Diageo at the moment, if you need I can see if I can pick you up a few gift sets if you are swinging by TPE in the next few months. I may be going to Costco this week. 18YO Blended Malt (Vatted) Grouse is less that 700 ntd Costco atm which is really crazy.

We were going to go to Taiwan for Spring Break but that doesn't look like its going to happen - but man those are some good prices!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.