What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Fall/Winter 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Binny's 1997 Signatory Laphroaig 17yo. What a great barrel of whisky. Starts with a nose of pennies on damp parchment sitting on fresh-cut grass watered by a seawater sprinkler. Pink fruit, dank kiwi and vanilla show up towards a sweet, tangy palate that seems to combine earth, sea and air in a savory liveliness. It's all weighed down by a perfectly integrated oakiness that brings lemon and menthol. The finish comes back to fig jam, pennies and leaves. Definitely the best Laphroaig I've had by a ways.

Just popped the cork of Compass Box "The Lost Blend", what a great single malt blend! Certainly accurate to the blenders notes, "The two fruity Highland single malts combine with a peaty Islay single malt to form an elegantly complex union with an ethereal fruit and herbal character, a sweetness on the palate, all buttressed by an underlying smokiness." I would say the smokiness is underlying on the palate, but in the finish the smokiness takes over from the fruit and sweetness. Definitely a winter dram. And would make a great Penicillin cocktail (though not sure using this as the scotch would be a good use!)

aa281b69d11ffcb4bceefcfa744f59d0.jpg

A little Devils Punch Bowl 1st Ed. -- slightly chilled from the basement bunker -- is doing nicely tonight by the fire.

A little Devils Punch Bowl 1st Ed. -- slightly chilled from the basement bunker -- is doing nicely tonight by the fire.

Don't drink it all! If the Fiendish Finale ever gets to town I want to do a SBSBS.

Don't drink it all! If the Fiendish Finale ever gets to town I want to do a SBSBS.
Oddly enough, I know where at least two bottles of Chapter II are sitting right now. Chapter III sold out QUICK! Glad I ended up buying the bottle I did, because it was on the shelves for all of a few days. I never have been able to track down a Chapter I.

Don't worry, there is plenty left!

Opened the Battlehill Bladnoch 22. So this is my first Battlehill expression. I get the impression that this is Duncan Taylor's competitor to the G&M standard bottlings. To be perfectly honest, I've always avoided them due to the bad rap they seemed to get for being 43% and generally mediocre. All the bottles I've seen recently have been 46%, and priced much more reasonably than some of the other 46% IBs sitting next to them. This Bladnoch also happens to be a first for me, so let's see how things go.

Color appears relatively natural. Not sure if it's chill filtered or not (will investigate that later, though the 46% suggests not). Nose: Butterscotch, maybe some old varnish, lots and lots more butterscotch. Marshmallows, almonds, hints of coconut and maybe tropical fruit, and honey. Taste: Butterscotch, marzipan, bourbon oak, some "grassiness" mon, coconut, and a strong vanilla nougat finish that lasts for a bit. Very little to no bitterness.

This is really good! Very flavorful with flavors that I am used to tasting, but put together in a very different way. I'm not 4 sips into this pour and I already ordered another bottle for pickup. At $79 for a 22yr old whisky, very happy to put another away. Perhaps I need to do some serious investigation into other Battlehill expressions.

Edit: poured some water in. Honestly, I don't think it did much for the whisky, but it did make a good amount of mist appear in my glass. I'd be comfortable stating that this is either NCF or lightly chill filtered.

Edited by garbanzobean

Had a healthy pour of Glenmorangie 10yr Saturday evening, forgot how tasty the stuff is. I wish it was s little meatier than 80 proof, but it sure went down smooth!!

Nice pour of some Shieldaig Highland Single Malt. Only sub-$20 bottle of Scotch I've ever bought and not regretted (although I'd gladly pay a few extra dollars if they'd bottle this with just a couple more proof points).

I finally opened up a Springbank 17 CS Fresh Sherry I picked up at Binny's. It hit all the right notes for me. I doubt this bottle lasts that long.

Enjoying some Ardbeg 10yr after a day filled with bourbon & rye. Nice to wind down on the dark side :)

Caol Ila 12 this afternoon and may move into Talisker territory before the day is through.

My wife bought me a bottle of Glenmorangie Tusail Private Edition. Great pour!! It's lighter and crisp, but still full of flavor.

I popped open a Springbank Green soon after I brought it home on Friday. Aggressive flinty ash on the nose, much more Longrow than Springer. Nice fruity apricot notes join it on the palate, but I believe the palate suffers at the 46% down-proofing; the back end is washed out, unfortunately. Farmy cereal notes on the finish. This is a nice whisky overall, but the palate disappoints, especially for the $120 Binny's is asking for it.

6f575cf0b62999038a44b4631d62c240.jpg

Sitting outvfront on a cool, overcast day late afternoon, and it feels Scotchy. So, a pour of Glenmorangie Burgundy Wood Finish seems in order. Big grapey nose that releases a big sweet grape and dark fruit note on first sip. But gladly, it fades enough to allow the traditional whiskiness to break through over the rest of the palate. Sweet and warming on the finish.

Every once in a while the Old Pulteney bug grabs me and today was one of those days. Really enjoyed some of the 21yr.

Got to try me some Yamazaki 12 last night,first impression..slight peat,but not a lot, taste was really good, (I'm not that big on Scotch,like the taste but the heavy peaty nose puts me off) this Yamazaki 12 was a good blend between bourbon and scotch. I may end up buying a bottle sometime.

First ever pour of Clynelish last night. Very smooth, tasty and fruity. I didn't get the "waxy" taste that most reviewers mention, although I did get a taste of what reminded me of beeswax on the finish. I guess I like a lot of the Johnnie Walker components, just not together and not at 80 proof.

I had some JW Black Label over the weekend as I was very limited in my selection- inoffensive, but rather bland and kind of watery. I think it would be quite good at 100 proof.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.