What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Fall/Winter 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yesterday I had a little Hakushu Heavily Peated from 2010. The peat seemed a bit muted a few years back but is now in line with what you would expect from Ardmore Traditional Cask.

It's such a nice evening in Atlanta that it called for burgers on the grill. That usually means some bourbon but being Burns Night its Balvenie DW12 right now.

Not much of a Scotch guy, but I'm raising a glass of Lagavulin 16 in a Birthday salute to the poet in his own words:

"Here's a bottle and an honest man! What wad ye wish for mair, man? Wha kens, before his life may end, What his share may be o' care, man?Then catch the moments as they fly, And use them as ye ought, man. Believe me happiness is shy, And comes not aye when sought, man!"

Robert Burns

Yeah, not much of a scotch guy myself, but for some reason I opted for Glenlivet 18 and I didn't even know it was Robert Burns' birthday. I taste a slight hint of fruit (green apples?) and smoky flavor. While I prefer spicy rye or a hint of wheat you would find in a bourbon or rye whiskey, all is good since this was a free bottle. I probably wouldn't buy a bottles simply because I can find a bourbon or rye for the price that I prefer more.

Nice dram of Crown Royal Coffee Rye Single Barrel. Funny - sku's review mentioned "soapy" which I didn't get the first couple times, but now that comes through big time (and I don't know if it was there and I just didn't associate it as "soapy", or if the power of suggestion has prevailed). While I can't say "I like soapy", I also can't say I dislike this pour!

I started my night off with a store select Blanton's, so it only seemed fair to end with something a bit peatier: Longrow Rundlets and Kilderkins. I only have a few pours left, and find myself rationing them. I will definitely be purchasing more Longrow once I clear through some of my inventory. I wish Springbank Distillery on a whole was less expensive, but I can genuinely say that every Springbank product I've consumed has provided a unique and "worth it" experience. All my experience so far has been OB. I'll definitely be interested to see if the IBs can hold up. Or at least the 18 yr Duncan Taylor I have socked away.

At any rate, I'm screwed because every Springbank Single Cask that comes stateside makes my mouth water, but they keep going up in price. And then there's the Springbank Green, which I will obviously need to try. And some old label Springbank 15 just sitting around, waiting for a home. And Springbank 10, which was on sale for $55 the other day . . . Wallet, please don't hate me.

A friend built a set of 5 flight/tasting glasses and holders for me for Christmas (although they didn't get finished until recently) and last night we put them to use. We had two flights of blind samples and one was "International Malts" with Taiwanese Kavalan King Car Single Malt, Indian Amrut Single Malt, Australian Lark Port Finished Single Malt and French Michael Couvreur 12yo Overaged malt. The last was the "ringer" in the group as it is Scottish distilled malt that is then aged in France in sherry butts and is a vatting of malts from 12 to 27 years old.

The winner among the five of was the Kavalan with one vote for the Couvreur. But all are tasty and interesting in their own way and an interesting testimony to the improving quality and availability of whisky from around the world (although availability can still be a bit of a struggle in a relative backwater like Atlanta compared to the New York, Chicago and San Francisco markets!). It isn't all great but some of it is pretty good!

Watching the superbowl right now and going to enjoy the last of my Wisers 18 year.

Cheers :toast:

post-12191-14489821969028_thumb.jpg

Watching the superbowl right now ...

What's the score?

I could make a few bucks with that advance knowledge :cool:

Watching the superbowl right now and going to enjoy the last of my Wisers 18 year.

Cheers :toast:

[ATTACH]20177[/ATTACH]

R-Savage, you R-Savant! ;)

:toast:

well the pre game stuff right now. Sorry for the mis communication

:D Just playin' wich ya'! Figured it was the pre-game. Hyeva, if you do have any insight or inside info, I'm all ears! :cool:

My current pregame warm-up a 4R Single Barrel selection on a couple cubes.

Cheers Bud! :toast: Havin an Ice water right now just to cleans the pallet, and to pace myself. Ill toast when I pour another.

Having another pour of Longrow R&K. I watered it a bit more than usual, and now its reminding me of Lagavulin 16 or maybe Laphroaig 18 mixed with some peppery talisker. Great stuff that's only gotten better as the bottle has gone down.

Having another pour of Longrow R&K. I watered it a bit more than usual, and now its reminding me of Lagavulin 16 or maybe Laphroaig 18 mixed with some peppery talisker. Great stuff that's only gotten better as the bottle has gone down.

At $120 I've tried my best to ignore that bottle, despite my preference for Longrow over just about any other whisky. You are not making it any easier!

At $120 I've tried my best to ignore that bottle, despite my preference for Longrow over just about any other whisky. You are not making it any easier!

I just picked it up locally today at $105! I think it has been sitting there awhile and I had passed it up more than a few times. But today I finally caved. There may have been 1 or 2 left.

I just picked it up locally today at $105! I think it has been sitting there awhile and I had passed it up more than a few times. But today I finally caved. There may have been 1 or 2 left.
I think you'll really enjoy it for $105. You guys probably have a feel for how rarely I buy the same bottle twice (too much other stuff to try!), and $105 is encroaching into repeat buy territory.

Speaking of Springbank distillery, did you guys catch Springbank's announcement of a 9000ish bottle run of a cask strength 17 yr old Sherry Wood? 17 is an awfully good age for Springbank . . . assuming this is affordable, I'm going to have a hard time not buying it.

I think you'll really enjoy it for $105. You guys probably have a feel for how rarely I buy the same bottle twice (too much other stuff to try!), and $105 is encroaching into repeat buy territory.

Speaking of Springbank distillery, did you guys catch Springbank's announcement of a 9000ish bottle run of a cask strength 17 yr old Sherry Wood? 17 is an awfully good age for Springbank . . . assuming this is affordable, I'm going to have a hard time not buying it.

The affordable part may be the rate limiting step. Like everything else as it approaches 20 years the prices are getting just nuts for a lot of bottles, particularly if they have built up any following at all. Springbank doesn't appear to be immune to that trend. I am thinking close to $200.

Edited by tanstaafl2

The affordable part may be the rate limiting step. Like everything else as it approaches 20 years the prices are getting just nuts for a lot of bottles, particularly if they have built up any following at all. Springbank doesn't appear to be immune to that trend. I am thinking close to $200.
Yeah . . . My fingers are crossed that it'll be closer to $150, but I imagine $200ish is probably what it'll go for stateside. At which point I guess I'll be trying it at Jack Rose.

I can send you a sample, Aaron. Good but not great, imo. Definitely tasty, though.

Edited by nivto

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.